New "laser marking machine" at Newport

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Looks like Ruger has begun using a "laser marking machine" at the Newport facility, like what took place at Prescott at least a couple years ago.
There have now been SP101's reported with at least the SP101 barrel marking and a "Sturmless" Ruger eagle logo on the front right side of the cylinder frame forward of the serial number. I'm not sure the serial number isn't laser engraved also as it has a "burnt" look on the stainless frame. Not sure if the Newport address on the left side of the barrel is being lasered yet, can't tell on the pics I've seen, but wouldn't surprise me if this takes place soon also (if it hasn't already).
The change on the SP101's came between 574-43827 and 574-53427, so it looks like its been going on for a while.
I suspect at least every DA is now being marked similarly, so as a keeper of the records in the references I can sure use any info on when this change took place on all models.
Remember also that all single actions are also produced in Newport, so it is inevitable that laser marking will occur on those as well, if it hasn't already.
It is very easy to tell on stainless if the markings are lasered or not. The laser makes a very noticeable "burnt" look.
Chet15

TL in OR

Bearcat
2b42le.jpg

tguil

Single-Sixer
I briefly had a recently made NIB Super Blackhawk Hunter with very inconsistent roll marks...one of the reasons that I returned it. I 'll take the laser etching any day.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Dang! You mean the days of the cattywhompus serial numbers may be numbered? :shock: Still remember the first time I really noticed it.. I was sure some bubba had buffed his SN off and had hand stamped it back... :D

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I like that! Nice, clean look to it. I'd kinda like to see that on the BH's now that I see it. I'm sure they'll integrate it in.

chet15

Hawkeye
Axehandle said:
Dang! You mean the days of the cattywhompus serial numbers may be numbered? :shock: Still remember the first time I really noticed it.. I was sure some bubba had buffed his SN off and had hand stamped it back... :D

My thoughts exactly!!! Build the laser programming right and there will never be another "D" duplicated serial number....or out of sequence serial number etc. etc.
I would think lasering would save a bunch of time also. Up till now every rollmark was put on one at a time...which also contributes to a higher rate of rejection.
Chet15

captainjack

Bearcat
I have A GP100 with a Ruger logo stamp that is really deep at the top and very shallow at the bottom. The 357 Magnum stamp is so deep that metal has extruded well above the surface. Probably Godzilla did one. I bought it used. The laser etching process would have eliminated this. That would be better.

On the other hand laser etching now gives Ruger the ability to put lots more lettering on the gun. Maybe we'll see a whole bunch more stuff to keep Ruger lawyers happy. Maybe they will produce a modle with the entire U.S Constitution etched on the weapon. I would not buy one but the lawyers would be happy.