Need quick help grip specs for OM LF super Blackhawk!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

luvlaw

Bearcat
Gentlemen-

Going for 3 day inspection tomorrow on OM super I bought, supposedly mahogany case, eagle-less barrel and long frame.

My question is, can someone give me exact measurements of either the short or long frame grip or grip panels so I can measure?

I have an OM super with me, but unfortunately I believe that is a long frame as well, or I could be measuring wrong and it's a short frame?

Is the distance between bottom of wood grip and top 3" or 3.25 inches on a short frame.

I am measuring like 3 and 3/8ths on my Super here at home. Is that long frame too?

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
luvlaw said:
Gentlemen-

Going for 3 day inspection tomorrow on OM super I bought, supposedly mahogany case, eagle-less barrel and long frame.

My question is, can someone give me exact measurements of either the short or long frame grip or grip panels so I can measure?

I have an OM super with me, but unfortunately I believe that is a long frame as well, or I could be measuring wrong and it's a short frame?

Is the distance between bottom of wood grip and top 3" or 3.25 inches on a short frame.

I am measuring like 3 and 3/8ths on my Super here at home. Is that long frame too?

Check the backside of your grips. The long frame grips should be stamped with a 'c'

GripLeftC_zps1ee2e2bd.jpg

luvlaw

Bearcat
Ok, I didn't know that is all you need to look for.

Just paranoid that someone could put that on there, that's why I asked for measurements!

Thanks!

street

Hunter
You say that your gun is a long gripe frame? Does it have a "C" on the back of the grips? What is the serial number on your gun? All Long Frame Supers are 4 digit or less, and most are under serial number 3111.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
All long frames are four digit and under with 3111 being the highest number known. Post a picture of your gun and box I we can tell you from the pic.

street

Hunter
Here is a picture showing the difference between a regular Super Blackhawk and a Long Frame Super. This picture comes from Bill Ross's book "Flattops and Super Blackhawks" copyright 1979.

411958837.jpg

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
street said:
Here is a picture showing the difference between a regular Super Blackhawk and a Long Frame Super. This picture comes from Bill Ross's book "Flattops and Super Blackhawks" copyright 1979.

411958837.jpg

It looks like the grip locator pin distance from the bottom of the frame is greater too?

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
Ruger1441 said:
All long frames are four digit and under with 3111 being the highest number known. Post a picture of your gun and box I we can tell you from the pic.

Are there any updates or verification for this one?

http://www.rugercollectorsassociation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6576

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
luvlaw said:
I would like to know the answer to that as well!

Hit Img on your post and insert a link to where you pic is hosted. You can't upload one from your computer. Hit 'quote' from one of the replies with a picture in it and you can see how it should look.

luvlaw

Bearcat
Hi everyone-

With some help on this and another forum, I believe I can say with confidence that i am now the proud owner of TWO long frame eagle-less Supers.

I believe these are dull polish, but not 100% sure on that.

For those keeping score; the Super in my possession is 2717 and the one in jail for 10 days at the dealer (CA gun laws waiting period) is....

3207!!!!!!

I believe latest known serial as noted above was 3111 or possibly 3117.

Thanks to everyone here.

I'll post pics is someone tells me how, or if you give me private email I can send and you can post for me.

Thanks everyone here for your help!

It's fun to be a part of this community/forum!

street

Hunter
Nice find!!!!! It's hard enough to find one Long Grip Frame Super, but to be the proud owner of 2!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: One thing to note! Don't store the guns in their Mahogany cases. There is something in the foam rubber under the red felt or the red felt itself that will make the guns Rust. AND I MEAN IT WILL RUST NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO!

luvlaw

Bearcat
Haha!

Thank you! I will not store in box.

You know, this has been so much fun reading and researching and searching!

My first Super was 2717 and I bought it in a lot of 4 Rugers, which I never would have bought if I didn't lose out on a LNIB .41 Super, 1st year serial number.

I missed it by 3 minutes and asked the seller if he had any other Rugers for sale.

He said yes, and told me the guy who bought the .41 was very knowledgeable on Rugers and passed on the other 4 assorted Rugers. Well, one of those was 2717, which I know now to be a Super, eagle-less long frame!

So, it just goes to show you that you have to pay attention to details! Haha!

So much fun learning about William Batterman Ruger and his wonderful visionary passions.

I am honored to own a couple rare ones and will be a vigilant caregiver ready to pass them on when it's time!

luvlaw

Bearcat
Does anyone have an accurate count of how many of these Long frame, Mahogany, Eagle-less Supers still exist?

I know from research that originally there were 300-500 Long Frames made.

A nice subset of information would be, how many of these with mahogany box exist?

Last I read, 7 or 8 known?

Maybe experts can weigh in here, like Chad?

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
All of the long frame supers should have been shipped in the mahogany box. I have always thought that the number on long frames was closer to the 300 number. No one knowes how many had non eagle barrels. I have a few non eagle barrels long frames. Ruger did not keep track of which guns had a long fame or standard frame and there was no rhyme or reason to what gun did or didn't get a long frame. Same with the non eagle barrels. Great find on the high serial numbered guns. Most long frames are 2 or 3 digit guns but there are a few 4 digit guns out there.

luvlaw

Bearcat
John-

Thanks for the information!

I appreciate learning more about these Supers.

My plan is to focus on these!