Need help selecting the right DA "mountain" gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mawgie

Bearcat
Thanks Old Judge Creek-

Next to me right now is a Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle (.45 ACP stainless autoloader). By all accounts, it s a nice gun, but, at the end of the day, it's wheelguns for me.

Your real world experience points me to the S&W Mountain Gun, which is readily available new in .45 Long Colt, and more occasionally available in .44 Magnum.

I spend some time this afternoon with my kitchen scale. The weight difference between the 4.2" RedHawk and a Mountain Gun is the weight of a small hammer.

Given that I intend specifically not to hot rod the gun, I'd say things are leaning toward the Smith.

Thank you very much for your input. It is most appreciated.

dougader

Hunter
I have the 454 SRH and the 45 Colt Mt Gun. They really aren't that different in weight. I pack the Mt gun when I run lighter loads, the SRH when I want a heavy hardcast 335 @ 1325 fps (it does 1430 in a 7.5" SRH)

Mawgie

Bearcat
All you ALASKAN LOVERS-

Boy, you guys sure do like them!
I do, too, but, given that my core applications include shooting big game (deer and hogs) out to 50 yards with open sights in the right conditions, I think, with all due respect, I ought to have a longer barrel than 2.5".

Thanks for your help.

Terry T

Buckeye
Just to open up the discussion a bit- the 10mm is a fine round and approaches the lower level .41mag in performance. In a revolver, one can use the 40S&W for cheap practice and 'social purposes'. The full moon clips allow for rapid reload of different types of bullets. A S&W 310 Night Guard or 4" 610 would be quite handy. For that matter, a Glock in 10mm would serve quite well too.

Personally, I have a S&W Mt. gun in .45acp and a small 5 shot Taurus also in .45acp. However, I think I would go for the SP101 in .357 as the most dangerous beast in our forest walks on two legs. Feral dogs are dangerous and Mt. Lions have taken humans in my county. My S&W 610 is a 5" and bit heavy for woods loafing.

Feral hogs are a tough kill - the 10mm with lots of rounds in a heavy bullet should do it.

Just my $0.02 worth,
Terry T

Rainman

Blackhawk
Mawgie:
Sorry to be so long gettting back to your question. I'm at my cabin this weekend and away from the Redhawk & holster. I'd be glad to shoot you a picture on PM once I get back home.

The gun was Magna-ported by the original owner about 15 years ago. I can't tell it's any louder (I use ear muffs) but I can tell a significant difference in reduced recoil. My favorite load is 240 gr Hornady XTP with H-110. It's brutal in a standard 6.5" SBH, manageable in a Bisley but fine in the Redhawk with standard grips.

YMMV,

Dan

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'll throw the S&W 329PD out as a suggestion. Easy to carry all day long, though I'm not sure how pleasant it would be to shoot full house .44 mags in. You can always carry .44 Specials in it, which is what I'd do.

But yeah, this week :)roll:) I'd probably go with a 4.75" .44 Special BH...

-- Sam

dougader

Hunter
You'd be surprised how well you can shoot an Alaskan at 50 yards. My Alaskan is every bit as accurate as my Mt Gun, and the 625 Mt gun is a real shooter.

A 335 grain 454 slug coming out of the barrel at 1325 fps is still over 1200 fps at 50 yards, and that's plenty to down a moose. Look in the hunting threads for Alan's moose he took with a 45 Colt and a 300 grain LBT hardcast slug at about 1150 fps.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I must agree... if you choose a S & W the "Trail Boss" is another really great choice.
TrailBoss.jpg

The key to "comfortable carrying" all day (with most hand guns) is the holster-rig more than the heft of the gun.

I just happened to have held a 10mm Glock 20 (slim frame) today and though still too thick in the grip for me it is a good woods-gun choice.

BTW... you should be aware that S & W fans are >>>>> NOT <<<<< fans of the internal locking mechanisms on Smith & Wesson revolvers... you might want to look into a pre-lock model... I would.

Mawgie

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam-

I considered the 329Pd at length, which many folks load with Buffalo Bore reduced recoil loads. It may be a good choice for "carry alot, shoot very little", but I plan to shoot my gun alot at the range. Also, the 329PD is over my $800 budget....

I'll also note that I came across what seemed like a small groundswell of criticism re: the scandium big bore: complaints include massive recoil (to be expected with a gun specifically designed for ultra light carry); crimp jump; problems with the lock....

While tempted, at least for now, I am limiting myself to the Redhawk and Mountain Gun, and maybe the darned Alaskan now, which makes no sense 'cause it looks like a snubbie that takes growth hormone, but the Alaskan supporters in this thread freakin' love 'em!!

Thanks for weighing in.

Mawgie

Bearcat
TerryT-

I very much like the SP101, and its portability is a huge plus.
I have been re-researching, trying to convince myself that a .357 would be fine for my applications. However,the lure of the wider.44 (or .45) caliber, loaded down to comfortable levels that still "handle business" is still strong.

The 3 1/16" SP101 in .357 Mag weighs a feathery 27 ounces (per Lipsey's). Nice gun,, but strikes me as a little light to take a considered 40-50 yard iron sight shot at a 175 pound doe.

Thank you.

Stoots

Buckeye
Old Judge Creek":37sbub2l said:
Quarterbore":37sbub2l said:
... I carry a Glock 20 when I am hiking in bear country (PA Black Bear county, not Griz Country mind you) and the glock is far more comfortable to carry...

Funny that you mention this...

Sometimes there are some scary characters in the wild places. A couple of years ago, way the heck out in the middle of nowhere, there was a "confrontation", the result of which was that the next trip back out to our prospect holes, every man jack of us "just happened" to be packing a 1911. The previous confrontation had left no doubt that it was the visible presence of firearms that prevented bloodshed.

And which lead me, early last year, to add a Glock 30 to my battery.

Since then, that's been on my belt when I head out into the desert.

As you point out: It is indeed a more comfortable carry. And I like the fact that such a small package has 10 rounds of 45 ACP "on board".

Love the 45 ACP Glocks!

Next up on my purchase list is a G21!

:wink:

Mawgie

Bearcat
dougader-

I don't doubt your accuracy claims. Can anyone tell me if there are specifric design attributes that make the Alaskan so inherently accurate: 1) good mass for its size; 2) very tight tolernces; 3) SuperRedhawk trimmed down?

I'll look up that moose harvest.
And, holy cow, that's more power than I need: my baseline for hunting is roughly 250 grain hard cast Keith at around 1000 fps.

Thanks-Mawgie

Terry T

Buckeye
"Mawgie",
The 357 mag cartridge is up to it with the right loads, of course. The question would be your eyes and shooting technique. I think the sights are OK but the front sight might be a bit broad. If you could find an example and take a sight picture out of a window of your gun shop at the 50yd mark, you could see for yourself if you can get a steady hold. I do think the gun is heavy enough for a steady hold.
Terry T

Mawgie,
I have the sp 101 with 3 inch barrel. Shots up to 25 yards are doable beyond that you need something more accurate. I also have a Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel. I had one with a 7.5 inch barrel previously. They both were .44 mag, and shot/shoot great out to 25 yards, but boy do the groups open up after that. I've tried a variety of loads with 240 gr. my next purchase will be heavier bullets. Good luck in your quest.
gramps

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
Mawgie, I own an example of a 2.5" .454 Alaskan, a 2.5" .44 Special M24, a 2.5".44 Mag M629, and a 4" .45 LC M625 Mtn Gun. They all shoot well and I'm right fond of'em for defensive purposes.

Throw in the probability of a 50 yard shot, and the Mountain Gun becomes my clear choice, based on the accuracy this little handgun has demonstrated in actual range work at 50 yards. An old 4" .357 M19 S&W also shoots very well at 50 yards and beyond but its gas checked Lyman 358156s come up a little short in payload when compared to the Mtn. Gun's favored KT 260s.

YMMV, Rich

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I would put the Redhawk .45 colt,4" in the no.1 slot,Redhawk 4" .44 in no. slot,and S+W .44 Mtn Gun,no.3.
MooseHunt2009151.jpg

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I own a variety of the guns you are contemplating.

RH (mine's a 7.5")

SRH (a 9.5")

Security Six (4")

SP101 (3")

Mountain Gun (.44 mag, 4")

And I'll tell you, I love EACH AND EVERY ONE of them!!!

I own no stock in any of these manufactures ..........

And I have shot the 329 PD and fail to see all the hype about recoil.

But your analysis is very good for someone who has not bought all these guns already.

AND if you weren't not going to shoot it a whole bunch ........ I'd say 329 PD .... really!

You could shoot that gun at 1000-1100 fps with 250 Keith's till hell froze over and you and the gun would be FINE!!!!

But with your experience level.

And wanting to shoot it plenty.

You could not ask for a better gun than the Smith & Wesson Mountain Gun in .44 mag. as THE ONE GUN you own in a woods format.

I take into account the stuff you are dealing with ........ your experience level .............. and the careful meditation you've invested into this analysis ...... and that's how I see it!

Now, I have NO idea if you handload ........

But to advance this project you need to add two more things ........ a good K22 revolver ...... and wait for .22 lr ammo to roll back on prices a bit ..... and burn it up!!!!

Second you must handload to get the most of your big wheel gun.

Irregardless of what you end up packin' as to ammo ..... you need to shoot a power ladder if you will. It will reduce or eliminate developing a flinch, save money and put the orthoscopic surgeons on vacation.

My absolute favorite load for my MG: The RCBS 250K slug powered by 11.8 gr. of HS-6 ...... 1066 fps from my MG with just 7 fps standard deviation. I have had women shoot this and LIKE IT!

Which MG is also important: I would keep at it until I found a good copy of the 629-4 ....... this is important.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Three 44s

Mawgie

Bearcat
Short Barrel-

I can see why you like the 4" Redhawk in .45LC. i just read your moose hunt post, and it was AWESOME! Congratulations.

I can only imagine how much work it was processing that moose by headlights, alone, in the field.

Clearly, the Redhawk was well up to the task. I don't believe that Buffalo Bore ammunition (325 gr at 1325 fps) would be something I'd want to shoot out of a Mountain Gun. Buffalo Bore says it is safe for Ruger large frames, and says nothing re: approval in S&W guns.

Great hunt, and thanks for your advice.

Mawgie

Bearcat
Three 44s-

Thanks. You know, that 329PD is still kind of calling me, but here in Upstate NY none of the shops stock much in the way of handguns, and none of them have the 329PD. Also, I'd really want to shoot one before buying it, and I don't know anyone up here that has one. That, I think, leads me back to the MG, or a 4.2" Redhawk.

(Also, yes, I do handload.)

Thanks very much for your insight.

Regards-Mawgie