Need advice: Ruger vs S&W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snubshooter

Bearcat
I prefer the Pachmeyer presentation grip on my Redhawk.
I tried the wood factory grips, they felt good dry firing, but they pounded my ulnar nerve. I then tried the Hogues, but they were too narrow for my liking. The Pachmeyers cover the backstrap and help with the heavy hitters.

stantheman86

Buckeye
In almost all cases, the Pachmayr Presentation grip is my favorite "functional" grip for my Rugers and S&W's. It looks good too. I love the look and feel of wood, but for heavy hitters like .44 Magnum wood is not always feasible for extended range sessions.

My .44 Redhawk .4" has factory wood panels but I use that mostly as a .44 Special shooter. I have a .44 Alaskan on the way that will wear Large Lett grips and will be my go to .44 Magnum.

If ONLY Pachmayr would make Presentations for the GP100-Super Redhawk I would be very happy 8)

RVM45

Bearcat
With a Redhawk or Security-Six (If you're willing to search one out).....

Rugers are good solid Choices.

Going with the GP-100 :evil:

Get a Smith, Get a Rossi, Use a Ruger Blackhawk, or an EMF Colt SA Clone.....

Or a big Bowie Knife, or a Sling-Shot.....

Or anything not so Shamelessly Ugly and Utilitarian.

{Not saying anything Against the Gun's Reliability. I am saying that it is So Ugly as to make any other Factors Irrelevant.}

.....RVM45 8) :shock: 8)

Sal1950

Blackhawk
RVM46, OMG, your saying a GP100 is ugly?
Go back to your doctor and have him adjust your meds, something is seriously out of balance in your synaptic brain function. :shock:
Sal

wolfee

Blackhawk
I've had a few of each, and nothing matched the panache of a 1950's vintage S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Special. But, at current pricing, and the dorky lock S&W installs, I think Ruger is the better value--by a LOT. When it comes to single action revolvers, Ruger is the only brand I consider. I am currently going thru my first ever encounter with Ruger Customer Service, and so far, am very impressed with that too.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Guess we all have our own tastes but for me the best looking DA revolvers were the Colt Python-Anaconda line of weapons. The full length vented rib along with the full length underlug just makes them scream "I A Bad A-S"
Wish Colt would re-design the somewhat fragile lockworks and bring them back to market.
Sal

arthury

Bearcat
Just thot you guys should know that I found a 4" RH and here are the pics ...

7461319366_c73e29b131_c.jpg

7461319124_04ebb859f2_c.jpg

I have fired 100 rds so far, all factory loads. Will start my own hand loads soooon. It's pretty accurate and I love the kick.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
The triggers on my Redhhawks were and are ~ right out of the box ~ every bit as good as any Smith & Wesson I've ever owned.

I can not say the same thing about the GP100's or "Six Series" but ~ you said you've got the itch for a "bigger" wheel gun so ..... I'd steer you to the Redhawks.

My Redhawk does not have near the trigger that my 29-2, 57, or 25-2 has period.

jpickar

Blackhawk
Revolver-Time said:
hittman said:
The triggers on my Redhhawks were and are ~ right out of the box ~ every bit as good as any Smith & Wesson I've ever owned.

I can not say the same thing about the GP100's or "Six Series" but ~ you said you've got the itch for a "bigger" wheel gun so ..... I'd steer you to the Redhawks.

My Redhawk does not have near the trigger that my 29-2, 57, or 25-2 has period.

I would have to agree with you Revolver Time. A Smith trigger is just the best. ;)
John

arthury

Bearcat
Tried a batch of 50 today:
Powder: H110
Strength: 23-24 gr
Case: Starline
Bullet: Berry's RNJ
-------------------------------
Had a blast of a time. Fairly accurate and the kick is certainly quite full a load. I saw quite a bit of muzzle flash but all of the powder were burnt. I did not see any remnants in the case.