Neck sizing die

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'm looking for a neck sizing die and of course it's a wildcat and what I find they think is platinum plated gold.

I'm thinking about just getting a common caliber neck sizer.

Since it is a neck sizer, as long the body never touches does it make any difference what body size the die is for? Am I missing something?

Almost seems like you could get a neck sizer for reach bullet diameter with a large case body and be done.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
The Old Timers Told Me To Neck Size Just Put A Nickel Between Your Die And Shell Holder When Setting Your Die In The Press. And You Should Be Close ...Just Saying It's Worth A Try.. Could Save You A Few $$$$$....

jsh

Single-Sixer
Neck sizing falls on both sides of the fence when chasing more accuracy.
A generous chamber responds to neck sizing does, just as an excellent chamber does.
Partial sizing has its place as well.
If you really anal about things, look at what the expanded button can do to the neck and shoulder. That is where the button or bushing sizers come into play.

Some guns respond well to bumping the shoulder. Others don't. Then some refuse to do well unless FL resized.
Critters I intend to "harvest" or ones that intend to do me bodily harm by chance get virgin, FL sized brass. Each and every round is checked to make sure it will chamber without a glitch.
Outside the truck at 0 dark thirty is not the time to find an ammo problem. Heck just driving to the range is not much better, check at home first.
Jeff

Chief 101

Hunter
Get Wood said:
The Old Timers Told Me To Neck Size Just Put A Nickel Between Your Die And Shell Holder When Setting Your Die In The Press. And You Should Be Close ...Just Saying It's Worth A Try.. Could Save You A Few $$$$$....
not a bad way to do this, just remember to cycle a few sized pieces of brass thru the firearm to make sure fitment is good...

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have done the "not quite full length" sizing, but it can be tedious to prevent getting a step in the neck.

I use carbide expanders and dry lube for inside.

This is all for target work and case life.

Chief 101

Hunter
a step in the neck is what you are after as it keeps the case aligned with the chamber properly...

Chief 101

Hunter
Most the time for me partial fl sizing gets a little of the case body since most are tapered...if partial sizing is not your cup of tea, certainly avoid it. I don't want to talk you into doing something you don't want to do. I started partial fl sizing because of single shot rifles and old rimmed cases that would stretch if not headspaced on the shoulder...that's my story, you follow your own rules. good luck