Neck size

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
If you're crushing brass, are they all single head stamp? Do you trim them? If you have not, try trimming them all to the same length (best after FL sized) and make sure that whatever system your press has to locate brass under the die is working.

I don't have a 32-20 but all my loading is done full length sized with one exception. I have a Savage BAT/s .308 which I'm very persnickety about brass. I only use my own new single head stamp brass (not bought used) sort by weight, prep flash hole, trim them all to the same length, and neck size.

My .223 I just load as they are and don't sort or trim. if they crush I chuck them.

Enigma

Hunter
If your dies aren't properly adjusted and you don't hold your mouth just right, it's easy to crush .32-20 brass. Once you get your dies tweaked, it's not all that difficult to make good ammo. As stated above, also insure that your brass is up to the task.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
New brass. I adjusted the dies yesterday. Only crushed 1 brass and i pretty well expected it.I was adjusting the flare and thought i needed just a bit more but went ahead and attempted to seat a bullet and yep i was right just a tad more flare needed. All ok now.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I don't think neck sizing is needed...
And don't forget, neck-sized cases might not chamber in a different gun. This could be a concern when you need to shoot that other .32-20.

J.