My wish: 3 Inch GP-100 in .45 LC.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Honestly, I would not want one.

I am completely sick of the whole small gun/low power movement.

Give me a new .44 magnum or magnum .45 colt. Forget the low power junk. I think you can already get a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt. That seems like the best idea.

That said.... to each his own. It wouldn't upset me any if Ruger made such a gun and sold it to people who want it. At the same time I'd prefer for them to make more magnums.

Of course my location may have something to do with my attitude. I live in Northern AK.... so walking around with a .357 just strikes me as a bad call.

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
I wish I could get a .44 mag that was styled like a gp100. The super redhawk looks like a gun with a separate barrel extension (probably cause that what it is). Doesn't look very sleek if you ask me... I also wish Ruger made a double action .22lr.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Wyogunner,

Well it would not be that cheap, but it can be done.

One of the major gunsmiths was taking 44 Alaskans, cutting off the extension, and mounting redhawk barrels on them. I can not remember who it was at the moment though.

If they made a 45 colt only version of the Alaskan, I would do it.

Charlie

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
WyoGunner":384pr0ir said:
I wish I could get a .44 mag that was styled like a gp100. The super redhawk looks like a gun with a separate barrel extension (probably cause that what it is). Doesn't look very sleek if you ask me... I also wish Ruger made a double action .22lr.
Why not just get a regular Redhawk (non-Super)? I'm working on a trade for one right now - nice looking guns. I always wanted a GP100, but have more than enough .38/.357s.

Or if styling is more important, there's the (gasp) S&W 629...

-- Sam

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
If Ruger comes out with a 5 shot Super Blackhawk in either 480 or 454, especially in s/s with a 5 1/2" barrel, I'll be the first in line to buy one.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Stoots":1gptpbaj said:
Super Redhawk, .44, 4 inch barrel, full underlug.

Thing 'large' GP100!

I'd sell a kidney for one.

:wink:
Again, why Super? There's already a 4" 44mag Redhawk, and it doesn't look like it has a plumbing fixture grafted to the end of it. ;)

325L.jpg

-- Sam

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":1kjyw1eb said:
Again, why Super? There's already a 4" 44mag Redhawk, and it doesn't look like it has a plumbing fixture grafted to the end of it. ;)

I would guess because some like the newer lockwork and grip stud of the GP100/SP101/SRH more than the older lockwork, and grip frame of the Redhawk.

I actually just might see if I can get a 44 Mag SRH, then have it chambered in 45 colt, cut off the extension, and have a standard 5.5" barrel mounted on it.

Charlie

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro said:
Yosemite Sam said:

I would guess because some like the newer lockwork and grip stud of the GP100/SP101/SRH more than the older lockwork, and grip frame of the Redhawk.

I actually just might see if I can get a 44 Mag SRH, then have it chambered in 45 colt, cut off the extension, and have a standard 5.5" barrel mounted on it.

Charlie

Not to mention that a regular redhawk only has a one spring set up.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro":17xf30ng said:
knuckles":17xf30ng said:
They've got the four-inch Redhawk for the heavy stuff... and if you still want more POW! get the Alaskan.

True, they do have the Redhawk, but as much as I like the way they look, I have not been impressed by function. The DA trigger pull has always been long and hard, and the single action not much better. This would not normally diswade me from buying one, because I could just get a local smith to smooth it up for me, but I understand that there is little that can be done with the handgun...
...A Ruger that can not handle the Ruger only 45 Colt loads is of no use to me, because I am not a CAS shooter. I prefer to shoot the round closer to its full potential.

EXACTLY! This is the drum I've been bangin' on for years. If Ruger would mate the GP100 two spring action/grip stud lower half with the standard Redhawk upper they would have a winner.
The Super Redhawk is a fine gun...don't get me wrong...but for my tastes and preferences it's just too beefy in the frame. Even a short barreled Super is a bit much on my belt. I had a Redhawk in .357 once but sold it and bought a GP for one reason...the grip. I could never come to terms with the Redhawk grip. I must have tried a half dozen different grips, to no avail.
I realize Ruger would have to change their molds but it seems there woud be some economy realized from not having to finish/polish a front and backstrap of a grip frame. Not to mention it would standardize grip frames and actions on the entire medium and large frame product lines.
Oh well... a fella can dream can't he...

deac45

deac45

Single-Sixer
WyoGunner":hor95uwb said:
...I actually just might see if I can get a 44 Mag SRH, then have it chambered in 45 colt, cut off the extension, and have a standard 5.5" barrel mounted on it.

Charlie

Not to mention that a regular redhawk only has a one spring set up.[/quote]

Bowen does this very conversion. Check out #RD04GP, second from the bottom...

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/RugDAbasic.htm

I gotta start savin' my pennies!

deac45