My sister...............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My youngest sister is approaching ninety-six years of age. She's now in an assisted living facility and hardly knows the day of the week. Her career was in education, and she was very good at that, and well known among her peers. She never married, and took up residence with an older lady, a retired nurse. My sister bought a travel trailer, and during summer vacations the two of them travelled.......extensively.

One day they were in Canada when Queen Elizabeth was visiting, and they took the opportunity to be along the way for her motorcade. The weather was beautiful, and all the pomp for the queen was in place. Scarlet coated Mounties, with their stiff brimmed hats and boots and jodhpurs lined the street. Suddenly one Mountie turned and exclaimed, "Miss Wright! I had you in the fifth grade at Longview Heights!"

Bob Wright

Thanks Bob. That brought a smile and a chuckle to me. My wife was a teacher and on numerous occasions she has been called out as: "Mrs Mitchell, remember me? I was in your class at Perryville Middle."

Merle1948

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
My youngest sister is approaching ninety-six years of age. She's now in an assisted living facility and hardly knows the day of the week. Her career was in education, and she was very good at that, and well known among her peers. She never married, and took up residence with an older lady, a retired nurse. My sister bought a travel trailer, and during summer vacations the two of them travelled.......extensively.

One day they were in Canada when Queen Elizabeth was visiting, and they took the opportunity to be along the way for her motorcade. The weather was beautiful, and all the pomp for the queen was in place. Scarlet coated Mounties, with their stiff brimmed hats and boots and jodhpurs lined the street. Suddenly one Mountie turned and exclaimed, "Miss Wright! I had you in the fifth grade at Longview Heights!"

Bob Wright

That had to be a great feeling!

toysoldier

Hunter
There are numerous videos on youtube showing how old folks come to life when they hear familiar music. You might try a little of that the next time you visit.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
toysoldier said:
There are numerous videos on youtube showing how old folks come to life when they hear familiar music. You might try a little of that the next time you visit.

Oh, she still has plenty of life left in her. Its just her memory that's gone, or pretty much so.

Bob Wright

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

Some of us are lucky in reaching really old age, most not so lucky. My Dad was a fitness nut, having been a middleweight professional boxer when he was young, and worked out to keep fit all his life. He never smoked or drank and died at 63 of lung cancer. My Mom never exercised in her life, smoked Chesterfields for 50 years, and did just short of 104. She was able to live independently and still driving up until 96. Then she still lived alone but didn't drive until she had a fall at 99 and needed to move into a nursing home. The last two years of her life she gradually succumbed to Alzheimer's Disease, with her last sign of being alive her enduring love of chocolate ice cream, right up until two weeks before the end. When I was a kid we took in foster children, and late in life some of those came back to thank my Mom for the care she gave them when they were kids. I know that this recognition meant the world to her.

Latest posts