My Ruger American Predator loves the 58gr VMax

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Xdm40rajuy

Bearcat
Not to long ago i picked up a Ruger American Predator in .243 to be one of my new hunting rifles. This caliber made sense to me since all of my in-laws have a .243. After I got on paper, the Hornady interlocks in 100gr grouped .606. That being the case, I thought i would be able to shrink that group down by reloading. However, that was not the case. Regardless of what I did, I could get no better than 1-1.5 inch groups. This was still good enough to put venison in the freezer for a budget rifle, so I settled and moved on to a different grain bullet. I already had some 58gr VMax bullets that I was using to do load development for my in-laws before I picked up my .243, so i just picked up a new powder. Looking on the internet, I found that a few people were having success with H414 and the VMax. I grabbed some and started my load development.

So on 6/11/16 I started my load development for the VMax using the OCW method going from 46 to 49 in .5gr increments. Something strange happened when I got to 47.5gr of H414. After taking the second shot, I was having a hard time seeing where the bullet impacted the paper. I let the rifle cool down and continued to shoot at the targets round-robin style. When I shot the third round, I could see were all the other powder charge weighs impacted the target, but I could not find the third 47.5gr bullet. I somehow thought I missed the target. Upon further inspection, I found the third bullet hole. And I was happy :D

The results show my OCW was between 47gr (.711") and 48gr (.900), so I went in the middle with 47.5gr (.363"). I didnt want to get my hopes up too high because I still needed to verify my OCW. I had 8 bullets left, so I set up my powder measure to drop 47.5gr. I was not going to trickle up to 47.5, I was just going to throw that amount or close to it. I headed to the range today with the plans of shooting a 5 shot group and a 3 shot group. The first 3 VMax bullets .208", next 2 opened my group to .950". Since I had 3 more rounds left, I wanted to see if 47.5gr was really my OCW. I'd say it was as the last 3 bullets were :shock: .315". I think I have found one of my coyote loads! My Ruger American Predator love Hornady 58gr VMax and 47.5gr H414!

Chief 101

Hunter
large doses of WW760/H414 gives me similar results with 65 vmax...not tried lighter weight bullets...my predator rifle is a Rem 600 .243.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Kudos on finding the sweet spot for your rifle. This is the kind of load development we often discuss here. We expect to see some pics of coyotes soon too,,,, after they meet this rifle & that Vmax.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Wonderful groups! Strange how one rifle will shoot one bullet weight great, but not so great on another bullet weight...switch rifles, and the opposite happens! Crazy.

Ruger turns out some accurate "budget" rifles for sure. My American Ranch, in .223/5.56, is just scary accurate!