223 predator

Help Support Ruger Forum:

red Ranger

Bearcat
For Christmas I picked up some RMR 75 grain for 223. The powders I have on hand are Tac, cfe223, benchmark Varget,or Vihtavuori n530 where is a good place to start thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Whenever I start a new project,, I START by pulling out all the loading manuals I have & research them to see what they offer as far as it references my available components. A good, safe handloader will have the most current manuals from several sources.
Using such data that has already been tested for safety is the way to begin. Plus,, in many manuals,, they tell which powders give the best results according to what THEY used. Often, you can see a pattern of a powder selection that seems to point to the better choices to start with when cross referencing manuals.

Short answer; "Use several manuals!"

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem.
I've been learning to handload for almost 40 years,, and I've found that by getting, & using as many printed manuals as a guide to start has never caused me to damage a gun, hurt myself or anyone else. Plus,, they've often guided me easily towards the best loads I was able to assemble.
One thing often overlooked by the younger crowd that rely upon the internet, is liability. When a company publishes a book, there are implied liability issues. The data they publish has been tested,, so they have their companies covered. An internet recipe is not protected by such things.
In my little reloading corner,, I have about a dozen manuals,, all of which are the most current from each company. I also have a library of older manuals. In fact, sitting at this computer & desk, I can see 8 manuals I've shifted out of use,, and only use them for back-up reference data when my feeble mind wants to get an answer to something. (But never actual data to load into a case.)

Now,, a company that makes the powder may have data on their company website,, that can be used as a place to get good quality info. But if that's the location you use,, I'd take a picture of the page(s) and print them. Then at my bench, I'd use that info, AND save the copy. Again, they made the powder, they are publishing the data, and as such, a certain liability is attached to that. And a printed copy is proof of you using THEIR data. (They can edit their pages easily, but a printed copy is your proof, if something goes wrong.)

And even a printed manual can have mistakes. Usually when that happens,, the companies take an necessary actions to prevent accidents. Revised copies printed, publicly getting the word out in magazines & via their websites etc.

Good luck in your loading!

Johnnu2

Hunter
Help me out please... Is the 223 Predator an actual cartridge that I never heard of or is the title meant to convey a 223 load that can be used on predators..???

THANKS,

J.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
TAC wasspecifically designed to work well with heavy bullets in .223. Velocities are not as high as with some powders, but extreme spreads are very low, accuracy is great with the heavies, and it meters like water, so it works great on a progressive press, since it is not necessary to weigh each charge to ensure uniformity. It also burns clean if the charges are near the higher end of the chart. Speaking of which, despite Hodgdon buying Ramshot, to find full load data, you need to go to the old Ramshot site and click on the "View Complete Load Guide Edition 8.0 PDF" button. The manual also contains some great +P data for some cartridges Hodgdon doesn't list, as well as more comprehensive data for Ramshot and Accurate powders.