my new 22/45 slab side is inaccurate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

myupspilot

Bearcat
I just bought this pistol, and it is shooting high and left at 25 yards. The sights are not adjustable, so I don't know what to do. This is not a matter of me jerking the trigger. I am breathing properly, and squeezing the trigger. I have a photo of one of my targets, but I don't know how to attach it to this post.
My groups are about 3-4 inches at 25 yards ... which just makes me wince. I bought this gun because I wanted a tack-driver. Can anyone help?[/url]

Jasperharley

Bearcat
In my limited experience it is usually the person. I had the same issue and I asked one of the guys at the range to try my mark II for a couple of magazines.

I was convinced I had the same issue except top right. All of my nice groupings were way off target.

Turned out I was consistently inaccurate because I had practiced lots the wrong way. The old guy who shot my gun hit bulls consistently and right off the bat. (he had a mark II as well so was familiar).

Alternatively try a sandbag, bench rest or some other device (bipod? lol) where the accuracy will be improved (hell, even go prone). Since this was your first post we do not know how experienced you are, whether you are a tackdriver on your 1911 etc.

But I would go with asking an old guy. In my experience (including everywhere outside of the gun world) the old guys know plenty if you are willing to ask and learn.

myupspilot

Bearcat
Thanks for your your advice. I will try a sandbag, and I will keep my eyes open for an experienced shooter who can try my pistol for me.

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Depending on the type of ammo that you're using, the bore may be fouled. Scrub the bore and try again.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
1) have others try the gun to see if they get the same results.

2) try different ammo

3) shoot from a stable support posisition.

mattsbox99

Hunter
If you just bought and groups are 3-4" that is good, you can fix the high and left with easy changes in your hold and sight picture. Most people cover up the target with the front sight, that is incorrect, you want to see your target clearly.

Group size will depend mostly on ammo, you'll find one that it really likes and do well with. Mine have done pretty well with the Winchester 333 bulk packs and Federal 719 and 711B.

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Well the sites ARE adjustable. You just have to know how to do it. First of all, drift the rear site with a punch either right or left depending on where your groups fall. That is called WINDAGE.

Next depending if the gun is shooting high or low, you may have to TAKE a little off of the front site. Meaning with a file. This is called ELEVATION.

Problem with doing this is that once it is done, it is DONE. Of course i'm referring to the front site. The rear site can be drifted back and forth.

BUT, your real problem may be the trigger. That is why folks LIGHTEN trigger pulls up. You want to gently squeeze and know exactly when it is going to fire. You are probably jerking when you pull. When I shot rifles, I would pull between heart beats. I'm not kidding.

And then there is ammo. you have to find the one YOUR GUN LIKES. Buy several boxes of different types and see what happens to your groups. It is tedious but a lot of fun. shoot about 10 rounds out of each box. Then try to duplicate it with the box that gave you the best groups.

BTW, you can still always have fun shooting the other stuff that doesn't do too good. Spend some time with your gun and get it DIALED in. You can make it a lot better by investing time.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
It sounds like you have one of the "fixed" sighted models. As noted above,, you can drift the rear sight left or right as needed. And,, as mentioned,, try different brands of ammo, as that can make a huge difference.
All in all the above advice is excellent. One thing though,, if you wanted a "tack driver" you should have looked at a different model,, such as the Target, Competition Target, or Hunter for more precise shooting. All of those models have adjustable sights,, and usually heavier barrels,, and just seem to shoot better.
Try a few things above,, and you may be surprised!

myupspilot

Bearcat
Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to help me out! I appreciate you guys a lot!
I have one follow-up comment/question about drifting the rear sight with a punch: I have a Sig Sauer, and I remember that to adjust its rear sight, I need to buy their sight adjustment tool. I own some punches, but I just want to double check before I start tapping on the rear sight of my 22/45.
Once again, thanks for your help with this.

bicclick

Bearcat
I wouldn't touch the sights until you are getting at least a 1 to 2 inch group
at 25 yds from a rest.
Try bringing your target in to 10 yds and see how the group is. You can also try different ammo but don't expect it to change point of impact dramatically.
Chances are it's just getting used to the trigger pull and the sight picture, take your time to figure it out.
Good luck and good shooting

3-4" groups at 25yards (that's 75ft by the way) with any handgun sounds good to me.... I must be a really bad shot.

I agree... have someone else shoot it and try different ammo.

from a good absolute rest shoot a consistent group and then drift the rear sight to center and use kentucky windage for up and down.

reakin

Single-Sixer
A slab-sided 22/45 with fixed sights? Can you post a picture? Didn't know such a critter existed.

reakin

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
10119.jpg

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Beautiful Gun. Those short barrels are harder to shoot. But I still love them. Keep trying, you'll get it mastered.
RayG

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
I agree with jayhawk, it doesn't make sense. Slab side is usually tied
to target oriented Rugers. Why have it with fixed sights? Any of you
have thoughts on this? WES

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
wes-ki-mo":3srtay29 said:
I agree with jayhawk, it doesn't make sense. Slab side is usually tied
to target oriented Rugers. Why have it with fixed sights? Any of you
have thoughts on this? WES

We used to call this configuration camp or pack guns. Short barrel, fixed sights. A nice combo when you sort it out.