My first Ruger, .44 Special Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AirCommando

Bearcat
GasGuzzler said:
I think it has to do with the gyroscope and its decision making ability versus human training on using a real camera....which the iPhone is not.

Nice piece!

Well, I'm going over there tomorrow. Maybe I'll pick that baby up, or I'll just take my real camera.

stevemb

Hunter
I'm sure you'll like it. I have a shiny SS one too. Maybe we should call'em SSS's ? In the mornings I pad around in fleece sweats and a Bulldog fits in the fleece vest's pocket. As soon as I got pants w/belt on, the Sheriff gets tucked behind my belt for the day. My around the yard, smack the steel targets, shoot stuff in the river(gotta watch for canoes) load is 6gr of Unique and a Penn 185gr DEWC.. stevemb

Rclark

Hunter
Just as an FYI, this is where mine is shooting 'stock' at 10Y if aiming at the black dot. Shooting off hand, no rest... I removed my 'shim' today in the rear to move the POI over because I plan on having a gunsmith turn the barrel for me on Monday. So shot this test target as a base. Really needs a new taller front sight too.... Bugs me the factory just can't install the tallest they have and let the user 'regulate' by filing down as needed.... This is shooting the 'skeeter' load BTW.

Target44SpecSherrifStock10YSkeeterLoad_zpsde6079cd.jpg

At 25Y it is completely off the plate.

Rclark

Hunter
Looks like it works :) . Much better. You'll like it!

Got my barrel turned today. And here is the results. Took a few tries to get it 'right' but we are now good 'horizonally'. Started at 10Y, then 15Y, then tested out to 25Y and finally on the 70 yard targets to confirm.... Still shoots high... But I can live with that. The 70 yard targets are now fair game and dinged regularly! Wahoo.

Target44specSheriffBarrelTurned_zps0c4edcef.jpg

BTW, (putting a plug in) Jeff Ault who is has taken over the gunsmithing of Bob Munden, is willing to do the barrel turning (and complete sighting in) for you if requested as well as the trigger jobs. You can call for prices... The Bob Munden web site will be changing to reflect this service I understand.

AirCommando

Bearcat
I went back to the shop thinking that they gave me the wrong instruction manual. Turns out Ruger must not have printed any for the .44 Special. Must be the fact that they are special!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If that front sight was any higher, it would be ugly. Think I'll just aim low.

The dates on the paperwork are 2010. Is the gun from around then?

Rclark

Hunter
The internals are the same on all New Vaqueros and Blackhawks ... so no need for a 'separate' manual.

As the the sight, it doesn't take much additional height to bring the POI down. Something like 1/32 added. You wouldn't even really notice the addition on the front sight. I'll get a picture later as I super glued a new sliver of wood to mine (I'd over adjusted the last time) .... Just have to go out now and sand it down to get to POA. Hopefully later this week...

Yet us know how yours shoots!

Hugh

Buckeye
That is a nice looking shooter. Would that be the "short barrelled bad .44" that Marty Robbins sings about?

The .44 spoke and he sent lead and smoke
17 inches of flame

I'll have a blue one please.

Rclark

Hunter
I'll have a blue one please.
If I run onto a .45 Colt Sheriff ... It will be blued as that is what I prefer too. I bought the SS one just because I was 'thinking' of using it for CC, however my Charter Arms Bulldog is just the right size for CC... So, I guess the Sheriff will just become a range gun as I prefer 5 1/2" for my woods guns.

Rclark

Hunter
Here is what it took to get mine on target with Skeeter Load. A little JB Weld and some filing.... As I said, it doesn't have to be that much taller!

RugerSherrif44FrontSightAdjust_zpsdb4d9500.jpg

AirCommando

Bearcat
Well, here's the ammo...

I saw on their site that Lipsey's only ran 510 of these. That sure is a limited run! Seems like there should be a premium on these guns!

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I bought a stainless .44 Vaquero two years ago that had been fired a few times; it's the 3.75" version. It is my carry gun when I'm out & about in the woods, etc. around my house and I carry it nearly all the time in my truck under a towel on the console. My carry load is the cast bullet Skeeter load, but I have some 210 grain cast bullets and have been meaning to try some Trail Boss loads for plinking. I learned to shoot with a single-action revolver and got out of the semi-auto business based on a couple of stories from friends who got into pretty dire situations and had problems operating their equipment with all the adrenaline/fight/flight stuff going on. Don't know if I can shoot a squirrel's eye out @ 40 yards with my little .44 Special, but the S.O.B. jerking my truck door open is in for a bad day.

Cedar Creek