My first Ruger, .44 Special Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AirCommando

Bearcat
Yesterday I chose to buy this Vaquero. I don't know the first thing about a Ruger, other than they are sturdy. I like the looks of this gun!

RugerVaquero001_zps7e385c3c.jpg

RugerVaquero004_zpsc2ebb278.jpg

RugerVaquero003_zps4ba10c8c.jpg

RugerVaquero005_zps622ee45f.jpg

Wish the pics were better. My Iphone don't take closeups too well. I put this gun on layaway for a week.

:evil: New photo bucket sucks! :evil: Pics are upside down and sideways. :evil:

gak

Buckeye
Congratulations! And you've got a shorty to boot! What you've got is a New Vaquero (despite what it says on the frame--an anomaly--as well as Ruger's literature regarding all the New Vaquero calibers these days). More specifically it's the "Sheriff," a marketing term for the .44 Sp (in this case) in the short 3.75" barrel. The Sheriff and it's 4-5/8" stablemates are for now limited production, and specific "distributor only" (Lipseys). Thanks for posting!

AirCommando

Bearcat
Well darn! That's cool! I heard about the billboard warnings on Rugers, but it's under the barrel and less pronounced. They had a couple more, a bird's head and another one I can't remember, but they said "New Vaquero". This one only says Vaquero. I like it better. Didn't know they were limited production. I got it for $650 OTD.

gak

Buckeye
Yes, other than the grip, the SBH hammer and caliber on the birdshead, it's the same gun.

AirCommando

Bearcat
Not like comparing an Impala SS 409 to a 4 door sedan...other than the motor and number of doors, it's the same car? :wink:

gak

Buckeye
AirCommando said:
Not like comparing an Impala SS 409 to a 4 door sedan...other than the motor and number of doors, it's the same car? :wink:

Meant they're both the same model, short barreled, same frame NVs, despite what the .44 frame says.;)

AirCommando

Bearcat
When you say "anomaly", what do you mean? The fact that is doesn't say New Vaquero and the other ones did, and it don't have the billboard warning blasted all over the side of it? That's why I bought it. Being a sole distributor issue, I think it may be a good investment! :)

gak

Buckeye
AirCommando said:
When you say "anomaly", what do you mean? The fact that is doesn't say New Vaquero and the other ones did, and it don't have the billboard warning blasted all over the side of it? That's why I bought it. Being a sole distributor issue, I think it may be a good investment! :)

About the "anomaly" part, the .44 Sp is alone among all of the NVs (so far) in saying just "Vaquero." Some have offered the explanation that, since there never was an original, large frame Vaquero chambered in .44 Sp, hence there is no "New." IMO that 'splanation doesn't wash as Vaquero vs New Vaquero is instead supposed to denote different guns, as in different frame sizes and some design (internal/operating) "features"--the NVs being of the smaller "midframe" design--and not just whether one gun was or wasn't chambered in a particular caliber/cartridge. I think it was either an accidental mis-naming they didn't bother correcting once the cows left the barn...or whatever other reason, "wrong" thinking!

All the fixed sight .44 Specials are "distributor only,"--intro'd about three years ago--and starting in 2008 (?) or so, NVs (and a few special run "original" Vaqueros) have had the smaller and relocated "billboard." Early NVs had the side billboard. Other than the above-mentioned occasional "special runs" of the original/large frame Vaquero, the NV has been the replacement for those as Ruger"s main, catalogued line of centerfire fixed sight revolvers--starting about 2005/6.

AirCommando

Bearcat
Thanks for that helpful explanation, gak. Seems like I have a good one. I'm anxious to get it home now!

Rclark

Hunter
Here is my 'New Vaquero' (as it 'should' be marked) shorty Sheriff... But as said above all .44Special revolvers from Ruger are on the medium frame whether flattops or fixed sights....

RugerVaquero44spec_zpsd7383162.jpg

Only problem I have with mine is it shoots high with 240g bullets with the skeeter load under it. Really needs a taller front sight. I suppose though as a belly gun it shoots dead on at 10 feet :roll: . Still I can pop those 70+ yard targets with it as long as I shoot low :lol: .

Let us know how yours shoots when you get it!

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Hey RClark,
Mine shoots high too!!
But I can still ring the gong with it!
but yeah, it's not designed for long distance, so at 7-15 yds, I'm good to go.

To the OP, nice find. That was indeed a limited run, and they are hard to find now.
Hope you reload ammo? feeding a 44 spec is expensive!

Let us know if yours shoots high!
039_zps4f0f2010.jpg

029_zpsb84a07d4.jpg

AirCommando

Bearcat
Well Wheely, I don't know if I should shoot it. I'm finding out guns NIB unfired seem to be worth more, especially if they are Special!

But mine's already been shot...the face of the cylinder proves it! Don't Ruger clean these things after they test fire them? Or do they say "see, it works! look at the proof... here are the spent shells too."

Rclark

Hunter
As far as I can tell, they just shoot it, then put in the box. No cleaning :) . Drive up the cost as it would use a couple patches and Hoppes #9 and time to take the extra step ;) . Hah!

I never worry about 'worth' ... I buy guns to shoot! Don't worry about it and enjoy it!

CraigC

Hawkeye
AirCommando said:
I'm finding out guns NIB unfired seem to be worth more...
Well that kinda goes without saying. No reason not to shoot this one and maybe you'll find out what we .44Spl fanciers have been so frothy about. :wink:

AirCommando

Bearcat
Well, I'm planning on it. I've been trying to upload a pic of the box of Winchester Cowboy Action Loads I have for it, but the new photobucket is not co-operating. :evil:

Sometimes I buy ammo and then I have to get a gun to fire it in. I got it for a S&W 3" .44 Magnum 629 Trail Boss I had. Sold the gun though, so I guess this gun can use it!

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
AirCommando said:
Yesterday I chose to buy this Vaquero. I don't know the first thing about a Ruger, other than they are sturdy. I like the looks of this gun!

RugerVaquero001_zps7e385c3c.jpg

RugerVaquero004_zpsc2ebb278.jpg

RugerVaquero003_zps4ba10c8c.jpg

RugerVaquero005_zps622ee45f.jpg

Wish the pics were better. My Iphone don't take closeups too well. I put this gun on layaway for a week.

:evil: New photo bucket sucks! :evil: Pics are upside down and sideways. :evil:

Nice pistol!
I'm wondering about your photos. Does the I Phone not have a macro setting for the camera or were you not holding it completly still? Our feelings about Photobucket are mutual, I hate it and have told them so.

AirCommando

Bearcat
No, my I phone doesn't have a macro setting as far as I know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the thing, but I am holding it steady. It has always been this way. I did read on an I phone forum that some of these things were like that, something won't work in the focus drive or something and if you turn it in you can get a new one. Don't know how much hassle that would be.

I have 3 support tickets from photobucket about not being able to upload to a new album, so far no help. :evil:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
My iPhone 4 doesn't have macro that I know of either but takes pics that close clearly.....but I do get upside down pics more than correct. I think it has to do with the gyroscope and its decision making ability versus human training on using a real camera....which the iPhone is not.

Nice piece!

DDubya

Single-Sixer
Nice gun. I have two of those in blue that I used for Cowboy Action Shooting. Love 'em.