My first lever action!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Gal

Bearcat
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I could get a little advice from the powers that be! :)

I am going to purchase my first lever action and thinking about looking into SASS this summer. I believe that I'd prefer a .44 magnum for it's diversity, I could shoot .44 specials in competition.

I know Marlin has had serious quality control issues since the take over. Winchester now makes the "Gun that won the West" in Japan! :roll: (no thanks!) Choosing a used one is enough to make your head spin! "Don't buy anything after 1964!" "Production in the eighties was good!" "SOME of nineties were junk!" "Anything after 2000 should be burned!" "ect. ect. ect." :shock: .........HELP!

That fairly new Henry 'Big Boy' has caught my eye! :mrgreen: In my opinion, she's absolutely gorgeous and.....American made! (Huh? Fancy that! :D ) I was hoping to get a little advice on this particular lever in comparison to the others on the market. I know that it's slightly longer and heavier than others and wonder how that might effect me for SASS, being that I am petite. I was also wondering about the loading system and if that would be an asset or hindrance?

Pulling my hair out trying to decide if Henry's a good choice or to go with another manufacturer? Any suggestions on any of this is very appreciated!

Thanks for the time! :)

Heide

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm

Corbi

Single-Sixer
Hey Ruger Gal,

I don't know anything about the Henry. I have a Marlin '94 and I am very happy with it.

Corbi

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Hello,
Don't know how many responses you might get on this forum but I would not hesitate to go for a Marlin. The recent posts about quality issues are quite a bit overrated and have a lot of smoke blowing about one persons experience with a particular gun. For SASS barrel weight or length might well be your friend and you might want to look for a Marlin Cowboy. 44 is good to go but is all you are going to do is SASS then 38/357 might be a choice to consider.

Here is Marlins Web Site entry point for the Cowboy:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1894_45Colt.asp

While I have a few levers I'm by far no expert. Post your request / question over on these forums:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/index.php?sid=d694e27006cbd7b63f7aaa0b3995f6b6

Good luck with your search and pursuit!

mattsbox99

Hunter
The Henry would be my choice! I've had Winchesters and still have one Marlin left, but the Henry is well made and very functional. It is a little heavier than the others though.

Heide; I have quite a few Marlin 44 lever guns. A friend at my gun club has a Henry in 45 Colt which is the same frame as the 44. It is a smooth cycling, accurate gun but with all that brass it is heavy. I would recommend a used Marlin from pre 1983 without the hammer block safety. The older ones do have the Micro-Groove rifling and some folks say that they don't work with lead bullets but I've shot informal cowboy matches with mine and with the low velocity ammo and hard lead bullets I've had no trouble with leading. A big plus is jacketed hunting ammo works well so you can get your cowboy gun to do double duty during deer season. Have fun with whatever you choose. Mike

I don't know much about the Henry, but I hear some good things about it - I've never personally handled or shot one.

I personally would be looking at the Marlins. I own and shoot several - bought them all used, and never had any problems with any of them. However, I only own one of them made late enough to have the cross-bolt safety, so haven't a clue about any recent quality issues. A number of my rifles have the micro-groove rifling and that is not an issue either (and I do shoot cast bullets).

Getting into the shooting you are planning will be using it a lot. Sure would be good for you to find a place/fellow shooters who have examples of the rifles which interest you so you could handle them and shoot them. The way a rifle feels and handles for me (a large framed man) is going to be quite different for you. As an example, I enjoy shooting my old Winchester 1886 rifles (long barrels and heavy), but I have yet to find a woman who even likes to carry or handle them.

Per an earlier post, I wouldn't eliminate the .38/.357 lever choice out of hand. I have one (Marlin 1894) and one of my favorite plinking and shooting rifles - the .357 has plenty of power.

Good luck in your search - it's always fun to have an interest/itch in a certain gun or shooting style, then conduct the research and search to meet that need.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Puma Model 92 is pretty hard to beat, spend a little money on an action job and have fun
When I had a 454 Casull it would run every 454 or 45 Colt load I tried, fast and accurate. I was quite amazed how well it cycled and shot.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
New production marlins are a nightmare. In fact they discontinued the majority of different models including all the pistol caliber versions. Other models are on a production shut down. QC is so bad they are trying to reorganize production and get things right. Be expensive and might take awhile but I would be on the hunt for a used winchester. Otherwise I have heard great things about Henry and surprisingly the new Rossis are spoken highly of.

Major T

Blackhawk
Marlin implemented the cross bolt safety in the early 80s. They kept making quality products through about 2008-2009. They changed the later on to Ballard rifling somewhere along the way. Hard cast shoot well in microgrove barrels. I would recommend shopping for gently used Marlins. I suspect my 2007 Cowboy has not had 50 rounds down the tube yet. There are some out there that are not even broken in yet. Jack

Del J

Single-Sixer
If one is looking to compete in CAS then the Uberti 1873 Winchester in .357/38 is the way to go. They are as slick as vaseline on a fish. Plain dependabiltiy the Marlin Cowboy would be my next choice. They easy to breakdown and clean. As Marlin being sold, and being made by completly different team now. A used Marlin cowboy would be a wise. I have used all of the above for about 12 years in CAS both in .45 colt and .38. I am a Henry fan. Very nice, well made guns. I really like my Goldenboy in .22 mag., looks good shoots better. But I have never seen a serious competitor tote a Henry. I am sure there are some. If you get bit by the SASS bug, going through a lot of ammo will be a issue. .44,s seems like a good way to go, but as far as brass and bullets availibility .357/38 or .45 colt may be better. Loading equipment is whole other project, one can start out with a single stage press. Then invest in a progressive. My wife and I shoot four times a month or more in the warm part of the year. I shoot through the winter. Years ago if someone told me, that would I dress up like cowboy and shoot at steel targets. I would have answered back "yea right". Please don't pull all your hair out, you still have to decide on six-shooters and a shotgun. Go to some local shoots, these shooters have made these choices. Check out what they using, most are willing give advise to new shooters. It is not as bad as it sounds. Have fun.
Del J

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
I have Winchesters, Marlins, and a Henry. Love em all but really like the Henry. I have the brass receiver because it looks so darn pretty, however the blued version is built just as well.

I was very impressed with the quality of the Henry. It functions butter smooth and the fit and finish are very nice. I also bought the enlarged lever, ah la "The Rifleman".

Go to a gun shop and ask to see one. Try the action and look at the finish. It'll probably sell itself to you.

Made in America.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
A vintage Winchester or a Marlin would be my choice. The mod. 94 pictured was made in 1906. The gentleman who did the fancy inlays and hand cut checkering died in a freak accident, falling off of his bicycle.

Guns002.jpg

Guns003.jpg

Guns008.jpg

Guns010.jpg

Guns015.jpg

Guns022.jpg

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I too have been looking for a .44 lever.
I own a Marlin (.357 SS) a Mossberg 464 (.30-30 SS) and a Henry .22LR. All are very good.
I would perfer a Marlin Stainless (SS) but a Mossberg rep said they are going to have some new 464 stuff next year.... (Will keep waiting)

I have looked at the Henry Big Boy and I really like it.... If they had a Stainless model I'd get it in a heart beat! ...

You can't go wrong with Henry... IMHO..

Good Luck,

Lateck,

DPris

Buckeye
The Henry centerfires are heavy, you may not like that.
The tube loading feature requires loading from one position, while the more common side-loaders can be loaded standing on your head upside down or an other position you want to try.

Marlins should be coming back on line now, after the overhauling at the new factory. I'd give them another month or so, and if you're interested look for a brand new (as in made in January or thereabouts) one, and inspect it closely in person.

The Italian '73s are very popular for CAS, and you can get a relatively light carbine version that shouldn't be too heavy.

My wife has a pair of older Marlins in .32-20 that she used in her CAS days, very nice little guns. No longer shoots at matches, but she swears she'll never let 'em go. :)

Denis

Flyspek65

Bearcat
Lateck said:
I own a Marlin (.357 SS) a Mossberg 464 (.30-30 SS) and a Henry .22LR. All are very good.
I would perfer a Marlin Stainless (SS) but a Mossberg rep said they are going to have some new 464 stuff next year.... (Will keep waiting) ...

Lateck,

Can you expand on the Mossberg 464 a little? I read a lot of negative commentary on the 464 when first released. Broken extractors within a few rounds, poor fitting, etc. Have the problems been corrected by now? I think they are nice looking rifles ... very Winchesteresque me thinks.

Thanks,

Flyspek

black1970

Blackhawk
Wait and find a Marlin Cowboy Competition in 45 LC or 38 sp.. You won't beleive the action. Puts all others to shame. One comes up on GB now and then. Not cheap but worth it. Case colored receiver and NOT drilled and tapped. Says Marlin Safety on top of receiver. A real new classic.