My Early Flat Top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vortex

Bearcat
Hey guys I have been meaning to put up pictures of this Blackhawk for a while now to see what you guys think about it. I bought it earlier this year not really knowing anything about single actions at the time when I purchased it. After shooting this one I went out and bought a new model in 45 colt to get a small single action collection going.

This one here has a 3 digit serial number and is in 44 mag with a 6 1/2" barrel. It has the early square ejector rod button and early cylinder base pin. It has not had a transfer bar conversion done to it.

G2

Hunter
Nice,
it also has the correct early pointer screw for the Micro.

Edit to stand down on the ERB comment, I'm a accumulator, enthusiast, certainly not a collector, or authority. Please excuse my comment. :oops:

Vortex

Bearcat
Hmm I was told by a few different collectors that this ERB was used on the earliest 44's released by Ruger. I do know that that small button makes unloading a real chore though!

contender

Ruger Guru
It looks very good to me!
And the EJR button could easily be correct. I'd say it's very likely on a nice 3 digit gun like that.

Dale53

Blackhawk
My first .44 Magnum was an early Ruger Super Blackhawk which I bought used (actually traded for) in the early 1960's. The serial number is under 5000, as I remember (I still have it). It was satisfactory in every way. However, I lusted after one of the original .44 Magnum Flattops as pictured here. However, I was always behind the price curve and never managed to acquire one of them.

Finally, many years later, I bought one of the Anniversary .44 Magnum Flattops. It is a fine piece, too. However, I gave that one to my great son-in-law and it has a good home. He can shoot and lives in Big Game Country. It has a good home.

To the O.P. - Congratulations on a great find!

Dale53

street

Hunter
RENE states that early guns made no later then Dec. 1956 were shipped with small serrated ejector rod buttons, and most were shipped with Hard rubber grip panels, but not all. It also states that probably no more then 100 made. Here is a list of serial numbers that the RENE has listed that have the small button: 4, 121, 204, 221, 232, 254, 255, 301, 376, 379, 598, 864, 892. If your gun is not in that list please get in touch with the RENE so Chad can include it in his list.

Oh! By the way! That's a great find for an early .44 Flattop. Flattops with the small ejector rod button are on the list for a lot of collectors!!!! :lol:

Vortex

Bearcat
Thank you for the info street, my serial number is not one of those you listed. Do you have any contact info for RENE? my google power is turning up websites for actress Rene Russo and links to this forum :lol: