My Compact out shoots my full size SR9's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Guppy

Bearcat
Went to the range yesterday and shot my compact and Full size Sr9's. My compact outshoot both my full size Sr9's.... All have 3 have a trigger fluff and buff. The two full sizes have had two coils knocked off of the striker spring while the compact has a full power striker. I had one FTF due to the lightened striker spring with CCI primers which are generally considered to be hard. Right now I am not too happy with the full size sr's. I am waiting for my ghost rockets and replacement striker springs to come in before I decide if these little piggies go to market. The compact had found a home and in fact the wifey may have claimed mine.......

pvoltmer

Bearcat
Went to the river the other weekend with my cousin to shoot and mess around. My SR was more accurate/reliable than his glock! It may vary from person to person on stance, grip, and whatnot to make the accuracy so different, (speaking for the SR's) I only have the full-size SR9

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
pvoltmer":21lisvpz said:
My SR was more accurate/reliable than his glock!

Curious how you determined your SR9 is more reliable than the Glock?

Both weapons no known issues, decently clean, same ammo, etc? Not trying to start something, wanting to learn something. "Accuracy" while messing around is pretty subjective, reliability not so much.

revhigh

Hawkeye
pvoltmer":xvx807z1 said:
Out of 50 rounds, his glock jammed probably 5 times.

Uh huh ... Glocks are well known to be unreliable .... :roll:

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it was most likely a variable external to the gun itself, like the shooter (limp wristing) or the ammo (underpowered or reloads) ... or the gun was not properly maintained (wrong springs / dirty) .... which would absolve the gun also.

Glad yours worked well, though !

REV

pvoltmer

Bearcat
yeah, me too. He has had his gun for like 3 weeks and hasn't put many rounds through it. I shot 3 rounds through it and the trigger was STIFF and a super long pull compared to my SR9.

revhigh

Hawkeye
pvoltmer":pwjfln5x said:
yeah, me too. He has had his gun for like 3 weeks and hasn't put many rounds through it. I shot 3 rounds through it and the trigger was STIFF and a super long pull compared to my SR9.

Another thing to consider ... Glocks come with a golden/tan colored shipping grease on the rails (which is more sticky than greasy ... kind of like cosmolene), and are WELL KNOWN to malfunction if they are not cleaned and lubricated properly before being shot. If your friend took his Glock out of the box and shot it ... I can pretty much guarantee that that is his problem ... you may want to mention that to him.

Welcome to the forum !

REV

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
pvoltmer":267ydl49 said:

Ok you had me till this part. A glock trigger is not stiff and long compared to any gun, certainly not an SR9. This is simply not true unless it's had some homemade modifications.
Are you sure he had a Glock?
You have described an inaccurate, jamming gun, with a long stiff trigger pull.
That is a hi point, not any Glock I have ever seen.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gatorhugger":3e3ss7dd said:
Ok you had me till this part. A glock trigger is not stiff and long compared to any gun, certainly not an SR9. This is simply not true unless it's had some homemade modifications.

HAHA Gator !! ... I was going to say the same things, but then I thought ... nah ... no sense riling everyone up LOL :D

I must be getting soft in my old age ....

REV

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I don't know SR's, but I do know Glocks.
The whole story is fishy...altho I know he means well.
His buddy's Glock should be looked at by a Glock armorer. Wouldn't take long. five FTF's? I haven't had one in my eight Glocks over 30 yrs. I have seen "problems" in every other semi-auto brand I've owned...at least eight or so.
Sonnytoo

Mike J

Hunter
I'm glad your SR9 shot well pvoltmer. It does sound like he needs to clean & lube the Glock.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sonnytoo":3ugz6yyi said:
His buddy's Glock should be looked at by a Glock armorer.

I'm guessing the guy just didn't clean it before he shot it ... that would easily explain it ...

REV

Talegunner

Bearcat
Back when TN first put in CCW I was among the first groups to take the class.............When it came time to shoot my glock 19 jammed three times in 48 rounds.........Perfectly cleaned & lubed the night before.............YES it can & does happen..........Bad guns in ALL makes & brands........BTW I promptly sold that 19 shortly after ........... :D TG

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
revhigh":26mwifzm said:
Sonnytoo":26mwifzm said:
His buddy's Glock should be looked at by a Glock armorer.

I'm guessing the guy just didn't clean it before he shot it ... that would easily explain it ...

REV

This could be a complete load of BS, but someone told me that you aren't supposed to clean a glock for the first few hundred rounds because the shipping grease has abrasives which smooth out the action? BS?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Who knows WYO ... I've read that it's abrasive, that it's sticky, that it's the best grease on the planet, etc etc .... We may never know for sure. I can only go by MY G26 when I received it. The grease was very sticky, and as I said ... in Glock circles it's been promoted as needing to be removed prior to shooting.

As standard policy I clean, inspect, and lubricate to specs any newly acquired gun. We'll probably never know ....

From spending a little time at Glock talk, you get the impression that it can cause failures ... I'd certainly start there first ... and go from there.

REV

pvoltmer

Bearcat
gatorhugger":1t7yypo7 said:

No BS here bro, serious statements. It jammed, and after i shot the first round i even said "this has a long trigger pull" and he even agreed that it was. I'm not sure which model he has for sure. Whether he cleaned it or not, I'm not sure. I didn't ask him. He just asked if i wanted to shoot and, who in the right mind would say no!! 8) My cousin said that it was the clip (i think it was aftermarket) that was causing the problems. Just telling ya what I saw.

I'm not downing the glock because my bro-in-law has one and I like it. and hasn't had a problem out of it.

Talegunner

Bearcat
pvoltmer":1gufljx2 said:
gatorhugger":1gufljx2 said:

No BS here bro, serious statements. It jammed, and after i shot the first round i even said "this has a long trigger pull" and he even agreed that it was. I'm not sure which model he has for sure. Whether he cleaned it or not, I'm not sure. I didn't ask him. He just asked if i wanted to shoot and, who in the right mind would say no!! 8) My cousin said that it was the clip (i think it was aftermarket) that was causing the problems. Just telling ya what I saw.

I'm not downing the glock because my bro-in-law has one and I like it. and hasn't had a problem out of it.

I have owned at least a dozen Glock pistols since they first hit the shores..........From 9mm to .45......... Had two with reliability problems that could not be 100% found.......... 19 and a 36.....The 36 was an early model and had known problems that Glock was not too helpful to fix(do a search on G36 problems)..............Glock has also had BAD peening problems with some of the 40s&w pistols : http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046771 .............I'm not "Glock Bashing" just don't like to see all this disbelief when somebody gets a bad Glock, I just don't buy all the "Glock Perfection" going around :lol: Hey they are man made & they will & do have problems...................an YES they are a EXCELLENT weapon & I still own a few !!! :D TG