Security 380 replaces my Security 9 Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gc70

Bearcat
Glad to hear these are functioning well, can't say same for the SW 380EZ I picked up several years ago. Plan was to have it for the misses, but ran across too many cycling issues. Another at range had purchased same EZ and both had similar issues, I did get to learn what stovepipes look like...
Wolff now sells +10% magazine springs for the 380EZ; they substantially enhance magazine performance.

9x19

Hunter
I bought a second Security 380, and took it to the range with three factory loads. No issues and good accuracy for me. Hope they got the problems sorted for those folks above.

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer
Looks like my Security 380 is running fine. Ruger replaced the slide assembly. After a few hundred rounds of various brands and grains, it works great. One fail to fire, (good primer hit, bad ammo). So far, so good. A few hundred more rounds and it may go into daily carry service. Just need a few more 15 round mags.

kudude

Bearcat
I recently purchased my Security 380 for the reasons others have mentioned and find it to be nice in the hand, easy to rack, and relatively fun to shoot. My negative issues are a really gritty trigger and that when reloading the slide will not unlock and chamber a round forcing me to use the slide release. This method is not recommended in tactical manual of arms for auto loaders. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and, if so, got a solution???

Really like the pistol overall, but I can't change my tactical reload drill. Kudude

PS: I've been around a while, but don't show up often. Retired Army Reserve, Retire State employee, hunted Africa too much, and work on church security team. Reload for all my pistols (Scty 380 loves most of 'em) and rifles (everything from 6.5cm to 375HH.)

I've found that the 380 JHP ammo to be expensive. Anybody know what brand is cheaper, around .50 cents a round?
Easy, Cheap, Reliable pick 2. Decent defensive ammo isn't usually cheap. It looks a lot like my Max 9. The optic on the Max 9 can assist with cocking as well. A decent rear sight can be used as well. Choose something that won't damage/be damaged and let gravity help you.

Last edited:

NFB

Bearcat
Picked up a Ruger Security 380 yesterday. It replaces my Security 9 Compact. After two decades of keeping my arthritic hands strong I finally had to give in and go to 380. I loved the Security 9 Compact. It was a great shooter, great size for CC. And with a 15 round magazine in it I always felt secure. I sold the gun today after testing the Security 380 at the range. I put 50 rounds of American Eagle 95 grain FMJ through it to check functionality and begin the break in process. It performed 100 percent with zero failures. I did not asses accuracy, but I will do that next week with 100 rounds. I'll report back after I do that.

The pistol shoots like a Security 9. It has the same action and the trigger is great (IMO). The sights are superb, and much better than on the security 9 models. The blacked out rear slight makes the glowing green front sight pop out.

A nice thing was the pistol fits my DeSantis holsters that I bought for the Security 9 Compact. That saved about $100. I have some Underwood Extreme Defender ammo in 380 that I carried in my LCP II, which I eventually sold because it really punished my hands. I'll be loading the new 380 with that for self-defense preparedness. More to follow in a few days.View attachment 17319
I am considering the Security 380. I love the Underwood Extreme Defender that I shoot in my Sig 365 (now having trouble racking it). Great defense round. Did you get to shoot it in your Security 380 and if so did it cycle well. It doesn't in my Sig P238 380.

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer
Looks like my Security 380 is running fine. Ruger replaced the slide assembly. After a few hundred rounds of various brands and grains, it works great. One fail to fire, (good primer hit, bad ammo). So far, so good. A few hundred more rounds and it may go into daily carry service. Just need a few more 15 round mags.
Over 2,000 rounds since Ruger replaced the slide assembly. Zero problems. I really like this 380.

Still considering a polymer 380 if can find one that proves reliable and overall I like Ruger stuff. Even with wolff +10 springs suggested here, my SW EZ 380 will just be a range gun with all the feeding issues. I'm watching here to see how these 380s are doing but for now have what I need already with a PPK. I added a comfy grip sleeve and +1 mags and it just works without issues. Looked at the Glock42, its just 6rnd and no safety which still seems to be a think for me. On PPK with +1 mag I can have 8 and use the de-cocker/safety. Had it at the range last week and yes the sights are small but was doing ok with it staying on 4" targets at 7yrds. I'm still learning.

With above said I hope these are performing well, I do like the 10 rnd capacity and the safety.

Just read the article in the American rifleman on the security 380 and I believe it's going to be my next purchase for concealed. It may take some getting used to the switch over from LCP max and the 1911 but I'm looking forward to carrying less weight, if I can get 15 rounds in the magazine, I'm good.

paljoee

Bearcat
Picked up a Ruger Security 380 yesterday. It replaces my Security 9 Compact. After two decades of keeping my arthritic hands strong I finally had to give in and go to 380. I loved the Security 9 Compact. It was a great shooter, great size for CC. And with a 15 round magazine in it I always felt secure. I sold the gun today after testing the Security 380 at the range. I put 50 rounds of American Eagle 95 grain FMJ through it to check functionality and begin the break in process.
Glad you're enjoying your Security 380. Great choice. I too bought a Security 380 and love it. I'm 80 years young and had previously bought a S&W Shield EZ to accomodate my weak and arthritic hands. After taking it to the range, I found I didn't like the safety grip and found it to be a little too difficult to squeeze so I went out and got the Security 380. No regrets. Happy shooting.

I purchased the security 380 also and had problems with the Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ ammo, would jam constantly, anyone else have this problem.

So far, I've fired 30 rounds out of this box:

1707503831167.png

I think the first time I used the 15-rd mag (when the gun was brand new) either the 1st or 2nd round in the mag failed to chamber, which I figured might be one of those things that happens while a firearm is "breaking in". The other 29 rounds were fine - in fact, that was the only failure I've had with the pistol so far, shooting either factory ammo (Fiocchi or Blazer 95 gr FMJ) or my own reloads (RN, TC, or HP).

As always FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Congrats, I have one, bought for the same reason, though I am not quite there yet, I know it's coming. Mine works just as well as yours.
I too bought one for basically the same reason. Much easier to rack and not nearly as 'snappy' recoil as my LCP II. I did replace the factory sights and installed the green lined rear and green florescent front. Easier for me to pick up. A few boxes of ammo and never a problem.

mficca1

Bearcat
My Secuity 380 needed some break-in. I have found that CCI 95 grain works flawlessly. Also, I got some Winchester 95 grain flat nose and at first was getting some not many FTF. Now after about 3-400 rounds it works well. I did pick up some Norma 95 grain on a deal at 24 cents a round and had around 50/50 misfires. Get what you pay for sometimes I suppose. I do like this gun for my arthritic hands. Very easy to rack and the trigger is very nice. Has anyone put a red dot on and if so which one and did it help with accuracy?

9x19

Hunter
Well, my third one is at the LGS waiting for me... hopefully it works as well as the other two.

Two is one, and one is none... and three? Probably a bit overboard, but for $260... these days, I think it's a bargain.

I am also looking at the Security 380. I have an old Taurus PT 908 9mm that I can barely rack on a good day. Heck I can't even rack my Taurus 22lr lately. So I've become a wheel gun guy, having eleven of them so far. My latest is an SP101 in 9mm but I have yet to get out and shoot it due to the weather here.

The thing is that I have lots of 9mm ammo and really don't want to start another ammo type in my collection but boy that Security 380 is calling and calling my name. The LGS's are all telling me to go with a Security 9 and shoot 100 grain or less. So the struggle is there. BTW I have a 38 SPL on my head board and another in my music room but the last time I shot them it really tore my old hand up. So...

My Secuity 380 needed some break-in. I have found that CCI 95 grain works flawlessly. Also, I got some Winchester 95 grain flat nose and at first was getting some not many FTF. Now after about 3-400 rounds it works well. I did pick up some Norma 95 grain on a deal at 24 cents a round and had around 50/50 misfires. Get what you pay for sometimes I suppose. I do like this gun for my arthritic hands. Very easy to rack and the trigger is very nice. Has anyone put a red dot on and if so which one and did it help with accuracy?
Red dots are transcendent. See Dot Shoot Dot. It doesn't get any easier and faster.

9x19

Hunter
Personally, I'm much faster with 'front sight press'.

It's the 'see dot' part which slows me down.
Mine don't naturally come up in my line of vision.

I'm sure that can be overcome with lots of practice, but I honestly don't have the time these days.

Personally, I'm much faster with 'front sight press'.

It's the 'see dot' part which slows me down.
Mine don't naturally come up in my line of vision.

I'm sure that can be overcome with lots of practice, but I honestly don't have the time these days.
Glue on a foam block so it does. Just like shimming a shotgun stock. All 3 needed a little help. I use masking tape until they work and then barge cement.

Attachments

• IMG_20231128_163324940.jpg
    IMG_20231128_163324940.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 18
I purchased the security 380 also and had problems with the Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ ammo, would jam constantly, anyone else have this problem.
My Kahr 380's had problems with "Some" Fiocchi ammo. The issue was because not all of Fiocchi ammo is the same in OAL. Most especially the Red Box. (the box may have changed). My Kahr 380's all shoot 100 percent reliable with any other ammo. And all the LCP's I have owned over the years never had issues. Just bought another one. There is something about a light Rack that bothers me. And to get a light rack, something has to suffer. And the issues of concern to me would be light recoil springs or at least something to do with the recoil springs.