MULE RIDE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
In my younger years I had many head of horses & mules, some good & some bad, I also had a Paint stud at one time with several brood mares, it was a fun time in my life & I really miss those back country trips, with all the peace & quiet, the smell of sage, pine & horse poop, the sound of a stream rolling over the rocks as we slept, a owl hooting in the darkness & the spine tingling sound of a bull elk that knows you are camped right in his front yard.
Yesterday my old buddy Brent "Liver Eating" Johnson picked me up at 7:30 & we headed for the mountains with 2 of his dandy mules. I would be riding Bennie, over 15 hands & 1150 lbs, he was a traveler!
We unloaded at the mouth of the south fork & made a wonderful 16 mile loop through some country that I pretty much grew up in since the 60's. I hadn't been in there in years, no horses or mules to get me there & to old & heavy to do it on foot anymore. Many, many times I walked it, daylight or dark, I knew every inch of that country & me, Brent & our boys hauled many loads of elk meat out of that remote back country. My daughter killed her first bull there at the age of 14.
To me what has always made a successful trip has been the photo's, not whether we scored or not. With the photo's you always have those memories.
Bennie was quick, he tried me a couple of times & the first time I wasn't ready, he almost got me unseated, Brent was getting a chuckle out of it. After that we got along fine but he could spin like a top & because he's still a little young for a mule (6) he was shying a little bit from an old stump or a funny looking rock, mules come along slower than horses but when you get them finished out they are wonderful mounts. Brent is a great hand with them & he will be well mounted for many years.
The place was absolutely loaded with beaver ponds, I don't ever remember seeing so many. They were full of fish, I'm quite sure even a Utahan could have caught his limit!
The willows along the trail were full of grouse, many were "dusting" in the trail in front of us, there were Ruffs, Forest grouse & 4 big Blue grouse that Bennie decided he didn't like when they flew up in front of us, thats when he spun on me. We could have easily filled both saddle bags with young grouse with our 44 Bisleys but on this day had no desire to ruin a fun ride by cleaning chickens.
We stopped at my old camp site (Thompson Flats) where we had pitched the tents so many times. You could never camp there without hearing the bulls bugle their disapproval of you being there. Some times in our underwear we would sneak out of the tent to see a huge silhouette of a bull in the meadow.
At sun up you could see their tracks in the frosty grass, sometimes they had came very close to the tents just to let you know that they "knew" it was on!
A sheep herder had used the camp recently, you could still smell the burned out campfire, he had left a good sized frying pan hanging in a tree, he also left a bridle & some cooking grates. The smell of the Woolies was still in the air, this part of Idaho has sheep by the tens of thousands that graze the national forest ground for 4 months out of the year. Most of the herders are from Peru now, but still you see them from Mexico, Chile & many are Basque.
We continued on to Suicide Pass where years ago a Basque sheep herder who was dying of Syphilis crawled under a pine tree & set his 30/30 Winchester under his chin & called it a day. We had lunch there, passing the time recounting old memories & lying about who had killed the most elk & caught the most trout.
When we headed for home it had been a wonderful 7 hour ride back in time. My butt is a little tender & I"m sure Bennie is glad to have me off his back, there's alot of difference between 290 pounds of ugly compared to Brent's 140 lbs.
Me & Bennie, Brents' prize mule, Bennie's on the bottom!

100_3427.jpg

Some of the many beaver ponds, they ran for miles.

100_3436.jpg

100_3435.jpg

Brent riding his Molly mule, same age as Bennie.

100_3430.jpg

Giving Bennie a little breather.

100_3433.jpg

Brent told me to kiss his a&%#*!

100_3428.jpg

100_3431.jpg

Dick

recumbent

Buckeye
Thanks for posting that, great photos and I have a soft spot in my heart for Mules.
My grandfather farmed with a team of mules and my dad coon hunted at night with his riding mule.

We grew up in Missouri.

middleshot

Bearcat
I made that ride last week. Yesterday I was up on top of deer creek and was just about to drop into the south fork when I noticed a hole in my mapping and dropped back off the east side towards Wyoming into Miller creek. That's when I ran into Jose, who was a little nervous, he asked if I seen his boss, told him no and then he asked if I could help look for 80 lost sheep. Didn't find the sheep but watched 3 coyotes take down a doe. She is still feeding the crows at the mouth of Deer Creek. 3 weeks ago two bears walked into the Pinebar off the Tin Cup and took out two separate camps. Not much elk these days, I think we've over hunted the cows. There is a beaver dam off of Lane's Creek that is about 9 feet deep in the center. A large tree feel a crossed it making a nice diving board. Nice place to to cool off on a hot day. Just another day at the office.

Not too many ride this country anymore I noticed the Brush Creek trail has grown in and eroded between the South Fork and Lou Creek. Glad to see you having some fun.

Bryce

callshot

Blackhawk
Sure looks like you can fill the saddle. While you were playing I got a lot of WORK done and a little shooting at the range. Steve

woods-walker

Single-Sixer
Great story and photos. Wish I could ride through that beautiful section of Mother Earth.

Thanks for sharing.

kirb44

Bearcat
I went for a couple of rides with the Gentry's last year in that same country both sides of the highway it was a lot of fun hoped to make it again this year. Did a little fly fishing west of pine bar last week all I saw was 1 deer caught and released a few fish had a great time. I back packed and horse packed many times with my Dad and sons in that area and south all the way to Montpelier canyon great times I still make it out there most every year but not near as easy as it once was, but all of the animals are safe to far from the truck

Kal

contender

Ruger Guru
sixshot,, I'm finally back on our forum after a few days of dealing w/o a computer I could use easily. (If you haven't seen it,, I had a breakin & lost some stuff.)
I replaced my computer today,, and I'm back to scanning the forum & many threads.

And I find a wonderful "Tale from Soda" awaiting my pleasure. I can close my eyes, & feel myself getting lost out there with y'all. I look at the pics and smile at these things because of the fine memories they capture.

I have been pretty upset about my loss of stuff. See, in my new ASUS tab carrier, I had placed a SD card & a flash drive to try & figure out how to use them with my tab. Well they were stolen as well. Why? Well the SD card was the one of my pics of our visit with you a few years ago. I truly cherished those memories. I can easily replace the computer, the electronics, a lot of the "stuff" but the SD card with my treasures of my memory can not be duplicated. Well, as I was working on this new machine and going through my desk, I pulled out another flashdrive. As I inserted it, and started seeing what was stored,, I found that I had forgotten that I HAD backed up my pic storage on a flashdrive. At least most of it. A big smile & a happy respite from these last few days.

Then, I come here & read this. It is helping my heart heal & a bit of peace return to my life. Thanks for this and sharing the storys!

sixshot

Buckeye
Tyrone, sorry to hear of your loss, I hope you get things back in order soon, its not easy when your home has been invaded, I know, it happened to us many years ago.

Dick

rsi705

Single-Sixer
Thank you for the trip. Taking the ride virtually with you really gets me thinking about getting out of the concrete jungle.

Glad to read that Contender found the back up drive as well.

Vaquero

Bearcat
Great stories and pics. I ride the back country of New Mexico and just recently did my first trip in Colorado in the Uncompahgre.