Mounting problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Weezerj

Bearcat
So my No.1 in 22-250 arrived today ( :D ) and I scored a Zeiss mc 6.5-20X50 scope from a co-worker ( :D )....day started off pretty good.

When I took it to the local warehouse sporting goods store to have the scope mounted, they were unable to get it boresighted. It was off on windage and ran out of adjustment. After a lot of confusion on their part, I got them to pull apart 2 sets of Warne M77 rings (to get equal height rings) and try....bingo, boresighted just fine....but (there is always a but), the store won't sell me a canabilized set of rings :x

So, I did what I should have done in the first place and contacted a pro to get this done right.

My question is, has anyone had problems with stock ruger rings before? I also seem to remember that there are tools to check ring alignment, but the warehouse place didn't have them. Are they common or commonly used?

Thanks for reading,
Jess

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Over the years and over 50 or so Rugers that utilize the factory rings , I have only had one issue on an M77 MkII rifle. The cuts for the rings on the action were milled wrong and Ruger ended up labeling it defective and destroying that action. They did however make a new one for me since it was a special run and the MkII's were out of production when the problem was discovered.

I hope that isn't your issue but Rugers mounting system is so failsafe that there are very few things that can cause that problem outside of a faulty scope.

pete44ru

Hunter
Weezerj said:
So my No.1 in 22-250 arrived today ( :D ) and I scored a Zeiss mc 6.5-20X50 scope from a co-worker ( :D )....day started off pretty good.

When I took it to the local warehouse sporting goods store to have the scope mounted, they were unable to get it boresighted. It was off on windage and ran out of adjustment. After a lot of confusion on their part, I got them to pull apart 2 sets of Warne M77 rings (to get equal height rings) and try....bingo, boresighted just fine....but (there is always a but), the store won't sell me a canabilized set of rings :x

So, I did what I should have done in the first place and contacted a pro to get this done right.

My question is, has anyone had problems with stock ruger rings before? I also seem to remember that there are tools to check ring alignment, but the warehouse place didn't have them. Are they common or commonly used?

Thanks for reading,
Jess

IME, there's nothing wrong with the Ruger rings, BUT, the correct ring set for the subject rifle must be used.

Ruger #1, M-77/22, & M-77/44 rifles take equal-height rings; Ruger 77's & SuperRedHawk's take un-equal height rings.

You had the scope mounting attempted by someone who doesn't know that different Ruger rifle's require different height rings.

Weezerj

Bearcat
OK, gunsmith finally got a chance to look at it today. He says the rail mount is f*d up and needs to go back to Ruger. Not a happy camper, looks like no chance of shooting anytime soon.

The guy I bought the gun from is at least decent. He is trying to find another NIB 22-250 and swap me out (tho I'm not sure how that would work with the FFL transfer)

Weezerj

Bearcat
Well, talked to Ruger, excellent customer service. Sending it in, expected 2-3 week turn around.

Guess I'm gonna let the yotes gain a little more confidence..

Weezerj

Bearcat
Notified by Ruger today that they replaced the rib and tested today, rifle is not being shipped back. Very fast turn around, I will save accolades for when I can confirm, but so far I have been very impressed with Ruger's customer service.

Weezerj

Bearcat
Ok. Got it back and it's fixed. Not perfect, adjustment is exactly centered when bore sighted but good enough.

Next is trigger work then I can got punch some holes in paper.

Weezerj

Bearcat
Trigger is ~2lbs and shoots great. My m.o.a. was a little larger with the Hornady super performance than I would have liked but my brother brought some Sierra boattails loaded with 4895 that shot great. Looks like some reloading is in my future.

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
Sold a NO1 RSI 257 a few years ago and the quarter rib rail had a twist in it that we didn't see when sold,guy couldn't get gun sighted and Ruger sent a new one and fix the problem.