MORE QC issues with RUGER 77/22RSI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
I didn't post a report on my Lipsey's 22mag 77/22RSI until I gave Ruger an opportunity to correct the problem, but now it NEEDS to be posted...I'm *&%#$ steamed!!!

Jason from Lipsey's helped me track down a 77/22RSI in September (THANKS AGAIN Jason!) and I had it shipped to my FFL. When it arrived, I noticed the front sight was canted to the left (around the 11:30/11:45 position). My FFL offered to return it, but since it had such a nice piece of wood on it, I told him I'd contact Ruger for an RMA# to have it corrected. This is now my 3rd Ruger IN A ROW I've had to return for issues that should have never left the factory. After the rifle was paroled from my FFL dealer's jail, I brought it home and put the bolt into the action to try the trigger. Because the barrel was overtightened, I couldn't close the bolt handle. How the rifle was "test fired" prior to leaving the factory is beyond me. I immediately called Ruger for an RMA# and wrote a letter explaining the sight/barrel/headspace issues and how disappointed I was in the fact I have had to return the last 3 BRAND NEW Rugers to the factory before I could even take them to the range and enjoy them. UPS picked up the rifle on October 16th and returned it to Ruger on October 23rd. I didn't hear from ANYONE at the factory to personally address my concerns or to let me know they were working to correct to problem. I called last week to get a status update and was told the rifle was in the mail and would be delivered today.

UPS arrived this morning and when I re-assembled the rifle, I realized the reason the barrel was overtightened last time, is because the rear sight was the sight used to "index" the barrel. Here lies the NEW problem...The rear sight dovetail is not cut level with the front sight, so now the front sight is in the 12:00 position, but the rear sight is in the 12:30-1:00 position and so far to the right, I'm not sure how the person who made the adjustment could have missed it. I was HOT!!! The bolt closes now, but it is STIFF.

I called Ruger CS today and spoke politely to a nice lady (not her fault) on the other end of the line who issued me ANOTHER RMA# and the rifle will be picked up late next week. I asked to speak to the general manager/supervisor of the QC department and was told they were not available due to the high number of calls they were getting (No kidding...really??? I can't imagine why). The nice lady on the phone told me "Brenda" asked to have my packaged flagged to her attention when it arrives.

I would have just included ANOTHER letter explaining everything, but I have had enough. I'm hoping this post is read by Mr. Fifer or someone who can deal with these issues directly. I understand a lemon is produced every now and then, but when one buyer gets 3 lemons IN A ROW, there's an orchard of lemon trees at the factory. I have a feeling if someone just "Looked" at the guns before they left the factory and not just "test fired" them, the call lines to Ruger's Customer Service Department wouldn't be so busy.

So, that's where we stand... I purchased a limited run rifle in September. It's been to my house twice and is now ready to go back to Ruger a second time and I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet because of the QC issues.

All it needs is a new barrel with the rear sight dovetail cut correctly, the barrel indexed so the sights are at the 12:00 position, the headspace corrected and it could be back before Christmas. It's not that much to ask. I hope to have it back soon, but with all the holidays coming up, it will probably be January/February before I see it again.

Up until now, I was satisfied with the "repair department's" work with the other two firearms I had to send back, but now I'm finished with buying new Ruger products (unless I can inspect them before hand) or recommending them as frequently as I had in the past. It's a shame because some of their designs and models could be fantastic if they just made an effort to look at them before shipping them out.

It's in Brenda's hands now. I'll post an update when the rifle comes back again.

Sorry for the downer post, but it's out of frustration and people need to be aware of these things to make informed decisions.

Stump

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Hmm, not sure where you read that, but the rifle was returned with the bolt. It was shipped with the bolt removed, but included in the box for safety just as the factory ships it out to distributors.

???

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Bummer of a rifle.
I was thinking about the lifetime replacement guarantee, then I remembered you only get that from Davidson's.
Have you just requested a replacement for this lemon deal? Hunting season will be over before this gets correct.

"... but now I'm finished with buying new Ruger products (unless I can inspect them before hand)..." Seems like a good plan to me. That should go for any product for which safety and high-performance is expected. :wink: 8) 8)

Ruger168

Blackhawk
FYI Brenda in customer service is the best they have and she is good at her job so she will probably take care of it. From what I hear the Ruger employees are not being treated well and they are having trouble finding people to work there. Used to be a great place to work but not now. I'm not surprised that the quality control is suffering, that's what happens when a company is all about money and nothing else. Bill Ruger would be ashamed of what has happened to his company. I was a friend of Bill Ruger and worked for the company in NH for 12 years and it makes me ill to see what it has become. Bill Ruger liked making money but he also was very concerned with quality and his employees. I do not buy any new Ruger firearms for several reasons and your experience is one of them. They lost me when they booted Alexander Sturm off the logo and things have just gone down hill from there. Bill Ruger would have fired anyone that suggested changing the SR logo. They have lost their # 1 rating with me.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Update.

I requested a Friday pick-up last week as it was the only day I had off of work and was called by Ruger customer service on Wednesday to confirm the rifle would be picked up on Friday. I woke up early, had the rifle packaged with a new letter and leaning next to the front door. I waited for UPS to stop by...and waited...and waited...

No Show. My only entire day off wasted. Went to work yesterday thinking maybe UPS was busy with Holiday shipping deliveries and pick-ups and asked my wife to keep an eye out for UPS as they would probably swing by early to pick up the rifle since they didn't show up on Friday. Got home yesterday afternoon and the rifle was still by the front door and a wife none too happy for having to stay home all day.

Won't know for sure who dropped the ball on this one, Ruger or UPS, but hope to find out tomorrow.

It's disappointing to hear about the issues at Ruger. I hope things can be turned around.

I won't be buying a lotto ticket anytime soon.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger doesn't run UPS.
Why not just drop it off at their location? - I hate waiting in lines and I WON'T wait around for the brown truck.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Sorry, This is gonna be a downer post, so please stop reading here if you want.

UPDATE: There is none.

Gun ordered last September.

Ruger still has it (now for the SECOND time).

No Calls/No Emails/No Nothing - Haven't heard from anyone even though I requested a call from Brenda and Mr. Fifer.

Rifle bought and paid for last September and still not in my possession.

It's almost February.

I know some will say "But it was the Holidays and they have been busy at SHOT." but that is NO excuse for the lack of communication. A phone call with an apology, an explanation and an estimated scheduled repair date would take them a whole 2-3 minutes to complete, even less if they just left a message.

I've recommended Ruger revolvers and rifles for years and have been one of their biggest fans because of their designs, durability and prices, but I'm about to ask for a full refund so I can by something I can actually shoot.

I'd MUCH rather be posting something positive like pics of how good this rifle shoots/looks and how happy I am (once again) with Ruger's CS (Heck I've used them often enough), but this is getting tiresome.

PS - Regarding the shipping mishap...The ball was dropped on Ruger's end, according to UPS, they didn't have any record of the pick-up order prior to the day I called to find out what happened. I had to call Ruger to get the label re-sent to UPS.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have zero knowledge about your gun.
But, have you tried to call them yourself? Tell them the same things you have mentioned here? Ask for a supervisor in the repairs department. Be polite, but insistant about your disappointment. Surely you can get an answer with a little patience & time on the phone.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
I'd send an E-ail to Mr. Fifer, using the tell the CEO on thier Ruger website. I sent in an E-mail a couple of years ago on a LCR in .327, and was shocked when I gor a personal E-mail response from Mr. Fifer.

Never expected that from a CEO of a big company, but he actually reads that stuff, or at least did back then....

contender

Ruger Guru
Mr. Fifer does read his "ask the CEO" emails. But, I think you should "use the chain of command" to start with. Call the service department & ask for a supervisor. Be polite & I'm sure you will get some results.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Update:

Rifle was returned to me yesterday. The sights were replaced and it came with a photocopy of the 50yd test target. The bolt is still stiff and the trigger is still heavy (not sure if I'm going to spend any money and time to adjust them or just sell it as is). I know Ruger has to worry about liability, so they are hesitant like many manufacturers are to send out good trigger pulls. The rifle looks nice and the target shows 3 of 5 shots touching at 50yds, so it should be a shooter. Overall, I Thank Ruger CS for addressing one of the three biggest issues with this particular rifle, but I'll confess, this last purchase has made me a little gun shy to buy new without inspection. Bottom line is, The rifle is back and I wanted to post up a final update.

All the Best,

Mike

Mods, please lock this thread. Nothing else needs to be posted.