MK IV in my local store!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Just saw and handled one in person. The stainless fluted barrel Target model, D&T, fiber optic front site, etc. Asking $565.00.

Seems like a number of impressive improvements on this model. It looked flawless for fit and finish.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I'm for sure getting one, based on videos I've seen and articles I've read, looks like a great new Ruger.

RandyP

Bearcat
As I've posted elsewhere, barring some surprising factory defect that is discovered down the road, this looks to me to be the ONLY .22LR semi-auto anyone would ever need.

The Mark series are a decades proven reliable, accurate platform and the MK IV removes the only constant prior 'caveat' of tedious take-down and re-assembly.

I'd suggest it leaves the Victory in the dust. Kudos to Ruger.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Kudos to Ruger for the MkIV and giving the people what they want, but does that mean I'll be ditching my MkIIIs? No way Jose! Me loves me MkIIIs and I will add a MkIV someday after it's been proven and the price drops a tad bit......................

hognfrog

Bearcat
Bought one last night, will arrive next week. Great price too! Way below MSRP on Ruger website.

Flyrod

Bearcat
I picked up a MK IV stainless Target yesterday, SN WBR1021XX. My local shop had about six Target's and six Hunters, all stainless. I have a few MK I's and MK II's, and a MK III. This MK IV is a really nice pistol. It was the cleanest new Ruger I've ever brought home - initial cleaning found no metal chips, residue, grit, nothing. It was spotless inside and out. The matte finish is nice, but it shows the lightest of scratches (yeah, went there already). The writing is crisp and deep and uniform, really makes a difference in appearance. The "left hand" safety paddle can be removed and replaced with a little spacer that comes with the gun - I hadn't seen that mentioned yet. I did see someone ask if the disassembly button might be inadvertently pushed during use - I don't see how, it is easy to press when you want to, but well out of the way of normal operation. The eagle on the bottom of the magazines is all black, first time I've seen that (my MK III mag has a red eagle). I don't like the flat MK factory grips, I prefer thumb rest, but don't see them available yet. Can't wait to get it to the range, maybe later today. I love my MK II's, but so far this looks like a legitimate design improvement, and the QC may be ratcheted up for the first production run.

radicalrod

Hunter
I saw one today and it was very slick....I loved that the serial # starts with WBR :!: :!: :!:

A true tribute to a GREAT MAN 8) 8) 8) RR

Cholo

Staff member
Flyrod said:
The "left hand" safety paddle can be removed and replaced with a little spacer that comes with the gun - I hadn't seen that mentioned yet.
That's kinda cool! I don't like ambi safeties, but I'm glad Ruger has finally accommodated the 7-10% of the people who are left handed. Just a nice thing to know that I can remove it if I want to. I'm looking forward to getting the blued aluminum framed Target.

we agree , great idea and took long enough , and do like Mr Rugers 'initials' as the prefix, for now,my only concern is having looked at 3 of them today, all are quite easy to open, but having said that, they seemed "loose", almost too easy to open , soooooo .what is going to happen in time, and use ,and wear, HOW "loose" can they become???? after all, it is just a simple AND "slight" notch holding things together on each end......time will tell 8)
...I do remember working on many a High Standard, with their 'pushbutton " (tapered notch) of the 60-s,70,s and then in the 80s they made it a "screw" hold on......things do "wear in" and stretch in time and use....... :roll:

hittman

Staff member
Oh the humanity! :lol: :lol:

The poor right-handers have to figure out a way around a left-friendly safety. :mrgreen:

BTW ... the other gun store in town also has one of these and their price is $649.00! :shock:

Cholo

Staff member
Dan, I've thought the same thing, too, but didn't put it into words. The "old" ones had a great bearing surface, the new ones less so. Let's see what shakes out :)

Know what you mean, I always look at the "long term" ( as to servicing) and I watched folks handle those new ones at the show and they were "opened and closed" so many times , we lost count.....and over the years ( since the 60s) of working on these things, gotta be a bit "analytical"....one reason we know of many guys who have old 22 Ruger semi autos , and they NEVER take them apart, aside from the "how hard" but "why", (no need to, soak 'em and swap 'em down, kerosene and an air hose works wonders), so when after time even the old ones "loosen" ,we've had to 'retighten" MANY over the years.......and stainless steel is NOT that 'hard', and I could already "see" the doved tail notch show signs of "mishandling, and improper" attachment,soooooo, matter of time I say... :roll: :wink:

BUT , I still like these new ones.........hhhmmm (but like the 'classics better') 8)

RandyP

Bearcat
Saw them yesterday at my LGS - Target and Hunter models, only in stainless. The Target was going for $549.

I prefer the blued style so I'll just wait to see what they're pricing will be like.

They do look GREAT, very robust.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Purchased a MKII SS 22 45 from the RF Classifieds.............nice gun. I am happy living in the past......I do need a couple of extra mags though............ 8) Also like my SN 480 original as well. Will look for the future comments on that which my astute associate, Mr Rugerguy, has addressed...........You Stalwarts enjoy this new gun! 8) :D

k2nd

Single-Sixer
I saw 2 hunter models and 1 target model at the local Scheels this afternoon. Nice pistols, but the sticker on the Hunter models was $649.00 and the Target model was $549.00. I'll get a Hunter model but I'm going to wait awhile until the sticker price drops.

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
I was able to handle a bull barrel stainless target model MK IV at my LGS yesterday. The fit and finish of the new pistol was impeccable. One thing that neither I, nor the store owner liked was the grip panels. We both have big hands and the squared off edges of the plastic grips were way less comfortable than the panels on a similar MKIII. Also, someone needs to make a right side safety delete kit, as our hands both rode on the right side safety. Other than that, I think the MKIV is a wonderful update to a classic pistol.

I'm keeping my MKII and MKIII pistols. I invested $30 in TandemKross parts to eliminate the mag safety and LCI from the MKIII. The rest of the MK series quirks, well after over 25 years of shooting these pistols, I've learned to live with them.

triton186

Bearcat
steamloco76 said:
Also, someone needs to make a right side safety delete kit, as our hands both rode on the right side safety.

I don't think you need a kit. one of the video reviews I watched (not sure if it was 22plinkster or the actual video released by ruger) but they said all you need to do is remove the right side grip panel, remove the screw and safety lever, then replace the safety screw and grip panel. once you replace the screw without the safety lever, it looked to be all but flush with the frame. I don't have one yet, so I cant say first hand, but maybe someone that owns one can chime in.

jjas

Single-Sixer
steamloco76
Also, someone needs to make a right side safety delete kit, as our hands both rode on the right side safety.

According to ruger.....

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html

From the text on the site....

Ambidextrous manual safety positively locks the sear in the "SAFE" position when applied. Safety can be converted to left-side only with included washer.

Sounds to me like Ruger has already "fixed" this issue.