Mk I Magazine Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
I have an old mid-60s vintage A-54 grip frame Mk I Target that shoots really well, but. The mags have seen better days, and I experience a lot of stoppages with multiple types of ammo. Wolff doesn't sell replacement magazine springs for them, so I'm wondering if maybe Ruger does. Does anyone know? My gun takes the old 9-shot magazines I presume like this, or this. It may be time for some new magazines.

contender

Ruger Guru
In my faded memory,, I THINK,, (I know, I know,, that's dangerous,) that the springs for a MKII will work in a MKI magazine.
But it would be better to just get replacement mags from Ruger when they become available again.
Also,, you can dis-assemble your current mags,, and pull the springs "out" stretching them some for a temporary fix.

Tyrone, the original magazines for the Mark 1 and Standard have a zigzag spring while the Mark 2 has a coil spring at the very front of the magazine body. Here is a picture to show the difference.
20230625_225016.jpg

Enigma

Hunter
Speaking of diminished memories, I seem to recall that the MK II magazine can be used in the MK I if the button is moved to the left side of the mag body. Am I remembering correctly?

NukeRef

Bearcat
Speaking of diminished memories, I seem to recall that the MK II magazine can be used in the MK I if the button is moved to the left side of the mag body. Am I remembering correctly?
Almost correct. The Mk II magazine (10 rounds) has a larger button that will bind in the A-54 frame. The "new" Mk I "Old Style" 9-round magazines will work fine if the button is swapped to the RIGHT side.

yes, the newer ones will work ( the Mags, NOT the MK II springs) and yes they can be found about anywhere, see them at any of the gun shows we go to, and now and then find them in shops, heck last month a local shop here was remodeling and closed out all the mags at quite a discount.....soooooo , do your home work.....:cool::rolleyes:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
I told y'all I was working from a faded memory. :D

Yep,, the MKII mag springs are different.

But a lot of excellent info followed my posting,, so you now have some good options to consider!

(Easy way to get help,, offer bad info & EVERYBODY will fix things!) :D :D :D

Latest posts