MK I, II, III interchangability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have spare MK-I and MK-II frames with bolts.

I see MK-III uppers available at decent prices.

Can I make Franken guns? I've never even held a MK-III (kind of weird since I've held a MK-IV already) so I'm not sure what can be swapped and what can't. I'm assuming I can make the frames work, but the bolt concerns me.

What do I need to know?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Remember, the "uppers" of Ruger's Mk series .22 semi-autos are the serial numbered part so any transfers have to go through an FFL and have to be shipped via UPS or Fed-Ex next day air so factor those costs into your purchase plans.

Dan in MI

Staff member
22/45 Fan said:
Remember, the "uppers" of Ruger's Mk series .22 semi-autos are the serial numbered part so any transfers have to go through an FFL and have to be shipped via UPS or Fed-Ex next day air so factor those costs into your purchase plans.

1/2 true - FFL yes. FedEx and UPS no, FFL's can use USPS.

If your FFL requires the other carriers he is cleaning your clock unnecessarily. UPS initiated the overnight requirement to stop their own INTERNAL theft.

Dan in MI

Staff member
PERFECT!

Is the filler home made, or are there commercial versions?

Not being familiar with it I've wondered if I could grind off the tab that makes it protrude when the chamber is loaded.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Here's a picture of last winters project:

The upper is from a Ruger Mark III 22/45. LCI slot was completely filled, as was the rear dovetail slot for the rear sight. I machined the optics base with an integral rib that goes to the muzzle. Muzzle was recrowned to 11°.

The grip frame is from Volquartsen. Grips made by D.A.Wood at Sarona Gun Works LLC. Trigger is the style used on the AMT Lightning pistols of days gone by. All the internals have been smoothed.

Many of the Ruger Mark I, II & III parts will interchange, but of course, some will not. The Mark IV has many new and innovative parts, but I am finding many of the Mark II and III parts will work quite well.

Dan in MI said:
PERFECT!

Is the filler home made, or are there commercial versions?

Not being familiar with it I've wondered if I could grind off the tab that makes it protrude when the chamber is loaded.

Commercial. This one is from Bruce Patza who originated them. I know that Tandemkross sells one too. There may be others.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
22/45 Fan said:

If your FFL requires the other carriers he is cleaning your clock unnecessarily. UPS initiated the overnight requirement to stop their own INTERNAL theft.
OK, I expected the OP was buying from a private owner who would have to ship it UPS or Fed-Ex to his FFL. If he is buying from an FFL then yes, USPS shipping FFL to FFL is perfectly legal.

I've had guns shipped by my local FFL to another FFL and he indeed did use the Post Office and charged me accordingly. And I'm aware why UPS requires overnight shipping and we are paying for their lack of employee integrity.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
Dan in MI said:
22/45 Fan said:

OK, I expected the OP was buying from a private owner who would have to ship it UPS or Fed-Ex to his FFL. If he is buying from an FFL then yes, USPS shipping FFL to FFL is perfectly legal.

I've had guns shipped by my local FFL to another FFL and he indeed did use the Post Office and charged me accordingly. And I'm aware why UPS requires overnight shipping and we are paying for their lack of employee integrity.

And that's where I have some trouble with other FFL's who rape their customers on those shipping costs. If an FFL has a valued customer and that customer needs to get a pistol shipped from an auction site, or for example, a family member for a transfer, especially a handgun, then his FFL and I can use the postal system, priority mail to do that. It does require a postal system form to do correctly, but small favors like these, at least I find, are appreciated by my customers and even some folks who become future customers.