Mini goes back to Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RatBird

Bearcat
I bought a 583 series mini 14 about 1 year ago. The rear sight had to be moved all the way up, to the right and I also had to file .100" off the front sight to get it on target at 50 yards. I mounted a scope on it last week and had more problems. The scope didn't' have enough adjustment to get it on target at 25 yards. Also when I installed the scope it quit ejecting reliably. When I bought the gun I emailed Ruger about the sight problem. They said maybe it was the ammo or the way I was sighting it in. This time they said to send it back. When I told them about the ejection problem they said maybe I needed higher mounts. I used the mounts that came with the gun. I had a scoped mini in the 80s and never had any problems with it. Also, it seemed like the finish was better on my old rifle. The finish on the 583s metal was comparable to a Chinese SKS.

DGW1949

Hunter
RatBird said:
I bought a 583 series mini 14 about 1 year ago. The rear sight had to be moved all the way up, to the right and I also had to file .100" off the front sight to get it on target at 50 yards. I mounted a scope on it last week and had more problems. The scope didn't' have enough adjustment to get it on target at 25 yards. Also when I installed the scope it quit ejecting reliably. When I bought the gun I emailed Ruger about the sight problem. They said maybe it was the ammo or the way I was sighting it in. This time they said to send it back. When I told them about the ejection problem they said maybe I needed higher mounts. I used the mounts that came with the gun. I had a scoped mini in the 80s and never had any problems with it. Also, it seemed like the finish was better on my old rifle. The finish on the 583s metal was comparable to a Chinese SKS.

My 582-series had to go back due to a badly canted front sight. The sight was off on mine so badly that there simply wasn't enough rear sight adjustment to get the rifle anywhere close to the 10-ring of an NRA target at 200 Yds. :shock: .....
The rifle itself however, placed it's shots with more precision than I've ever seen from an "out of the box" Mini-14....it's just that it couldn't be dialed into where it was looking.

The good news was that the turn around time for Ruger to fix it was less than 10 days start to finish, and during the process, I was successful in talking them into fitting a spare firing pin to my bolt while they had the rifle in their hands.
That, and despite my offering (twice) to pay for the spare firing pin, they wouldn't hear of taking a single dime for either service.
Excellent folks to deal with, no question about that.....

....Now, if we could only talk them into doing something about their lack of QC, get 'em to install a proper rear sight, and to do something about that sloppy stock-bedding...then maybe one day, we can quit having to finish what they started. :lol: .

DGW

Weezerj

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
RatBird said:

My 582-series had to go back due to a badly canted front sight. The sight was off on mine so badly that there simply wasn't enough rear sight adjustment to get the rifle anywhere close to the 10-ring of an NRA target at 200 Yds. :shock: .....
The rifle itself however, placed it's shots with more precision than I've ever seen from an "out of the box" Mini-14....it's just that it couldn't be dialed into where it was looking.

The good news was that the turn around time for Ruger to fix it was less than 10 days start to finish, and during the process, I was successful in talking them into fitting a spare firing pin to my bolt while they had the rifle in their hands.
That, and despite my offering (twice) to pay for the spare firing pin, they wouldn't hear of taking a single dime for either service.
Excellent folks to deal with, no question about that.....

....Now, if we could only talk them into doing something about their lack of QC, get 'em to install a proper rear sight, and to do something about that sloppy stock-bedding...then maybe one day, we can quit having to finish what they started. :lol: .

DGW

Just sent back a new no. 1 because the rib was off and could not bore sight.....but I have to agree that the were quick to react and had a fast turn around.

Great customer service, but it would be worth while to try and get it right the first time.

I have a theory of how quality control works at a corporation... for years there is a guy or team that checks the product(s) coming off the line... one day a new bean counter is hired further up the chain and he or she starts looking at ways to save the corporation money. They see that the folks in quality control are only sending back say one item every 500 or so and the flaws on that item are minor... obviously there is no need for quality control and it would be less costly just to send that one flawed item out and 'gamble' as to if it is sent back to be fixed..... this logic almost works..........

jjas

Single-Sixer
With the 1 and 2.5 million gun challenges that Ruger accomplished over the last couple of years, it's hardly surprising to see that they are having "issues" with some guns.

DGW1949

Hunter
Anyone who has worked on the floor of a "Just in time-Lean Manufacturing" plant for any length of time knows exactly what the problem is...meaning that when you get down to it, it's the result of the "process" itself, which itself is designed/implemented to be ever changing relative to how cheap, how fast, and with how little skill a product can be made.
In other words, it's perty-much a race to the bottom relative to what kind of product the average customer will tolerate and still remain a customer.

But hey, projected sales are fine, profits are up, dividends are getting paid, and management is fat....so as long as those aspects remain in place, who cares about sloppy tolerances, canted sights, parts that fall (or shear) off, screws that have to be glued-in, or even about basic stuff like proper machine work and assembly.....after all, we's got us a customer service department for picky customers....right?.....right? :lol: . :lol: . :lol: .

DGW

dfletcher

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
I have a theory of how quality control works at a corporation... for years there is a guy or team that checks the product(s) coming off the line... one day a new bean counter is hired further up the chain and he or she starts looking at ways to save the corporation money. They see that the folks in quality control are only sending back say one item every 500 or so and the flaws on that item are minor... obviously there is no need for quality control and it would be less costly just to send that one flawed item out and 'gamble' as to if it is sent back to be fixed..... this logic almost works..........

Reminds me of Springfield Armory and having to send back or repair 6 of the 7 guns I've bought from them. I keep hearing they have "great customer service". Well, I wish they'd put that guy in change of Quality Control. :idea:

RatBird

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
Anyone who has worked on the floor of a "Just in time-Lean Manufacturing" plant for any length of time knows exactly what the problem is...meaning that when you get down to it, it's the result of the "process" itself, which itself is designed/implemented to be ever changing relative to how cheap, how fast, and with how little skill a product can be made.
In other words, it's perty-much a race to the bottom relative to what kind of product the average customer will tolerate and still remain a customer.

But hey, projected sales are fine, profits are up, dividends are getting paid, and management is fat....so as long as those aspects remain in place, who cares about sloppy tolerances, canted sights, parts that fall (or shear) off, screws that have to be glued-in, or even about basic stuff like proper machine work and assembly.....after all, we's got us a customer service department for picky customers....right?.....right? :lol: . :lol: . :lol: .

DGW
I know exactly what you are talking about. The place I work went lean awhile back. We painted pretty little lines on the floor, through away tooling and fixtures, etc. Now we have purchased tooling to replace the stuff we got rid of and remade the fixtures. Awhile back we shipped out a $300,000 machine with no grease in it so we are still messed up. LOL

DGW1949

Hunter
Oh heck RatBird, you're still in the early stages. :lol: .
Give it time, it gets even better.

DGW

RatBird

Bearcat
I got my Mini back from Ruger. It says they repaired barrel and slide. I guess I'll find out. The front sight I had to file off .100" is still on it. Any problems at all and Ruger is going to get this rifle back again.