mini 30 cleaning oops used corrosive ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lctrcjim

Bearcat
I got some Yugoslavian ammo from my local gun shop on a whim - it was cheap & they assured me it's not corrosive (I normally use Fiocchi & have great luck with it). For what it's worth, the Yugo stuff shot great - I shot one box of 40 shells...........but.........poking around on the internet tonite, I read several posts that the Yugo ammo uses corrosive primers. Yikes!!!

Looks like I better hose down the mini 30 just in case. Is there anything I should clean beyond what is in the Ruger manual????

Thanks!!!

Nope, just clean it as normal... then check it a few days later to make sure nothing is growing on it...

and also, don't believe everything you read on the internet... ammo might have been corrosive or not...

good question is how can someone tell? I bet a person that reloads would know. It's never the powder in the round but the primer that leaves the corrosive residue.

96/44

Blackhawk
Yep, if it was Yugo surplus it was corrosive. No big deal just clean it well, using soapy water, or an ammonia based cleaner to neutralize the corrosive salts. Don't forget to pay attention to the gas piston, and bolt face. I shoot tons of corrosive ammo through my old military guns, and have never had an issue, as long as cleaned properly. As far as checking ammo to see if it is corrosive, the only real way is to pull the bullet and powder, then fire the primer only at piece of mild steel. If it rusts in a day or two it's corrosive.

lctrcjim

Bearcat
guys, thanks for your help & advice. I took it apart & it swabbed it all down - everyplace that would come in contact with combustion gas I cleaned first with ammonia, then dried & went over with RemOil. I DID NOT take the gas block apart, though.....................

thanks!!!

akfreak

Bearcat
96/44":jzb805vu said:
Yep, if it was Yugo surplus it was corrosive. No big deal just clean it well, using soapy water, or an ammonia based cleaner to neutralize the corrosive salts. Don't forget to pay attention to the gas piston, and bolt face. I shoot tons of corrosive ammo through my old military guns, and have never had an issue, as long as cleaned properly. As far as checking ammo to see if it is corrosive, the only real way is to pull the bullet and powder, then fire the primer only at piece of mild steel. If it rusts in a day or two it's corrosive.

You just need really hot water to neutralize the corrosive ammonia salts. Hot water is used because on a cool gun it will neutralize the salts and then evaporate leaving you to clean and lube as normal. I shoot the Yugo stuff all the time with zero rust issues.

pisgah

Buckeye
Hot water, ammonia -- neither are required. Water, pure and simple, hot or cold, is the ticket. Mostly-water cleaners, like Windex, work well, too --- but again, plain water is fine. You're dealing with salts that need to be dissolved and washed away, and oil won't do it. Clean, using water as you would any other bore cleaner, dry everything off, then oil -- and always check for incipient corrosion over the next couple of days just in case you missed a bit, just as you should with a blackpowder-firing gun.

akfreak

Bearcat
Yes, cold water will work but really hot water evaporates of the metal leaving very little water to dry up. Just easier.

pisgah

Buckeye
akfreak":8kglslrt said:
Yes, cold water will work but really hot water evaporates of the metal leaving very little water to dry up. Just easier.

True enough, but you don't have to flood the thing, just use water as you would bore cleaner -- damp patches through the bore, damp patches to swab off the bolt face, gas system, etc.

akfreak

Bearcat
True, I'm used to doing it to my AK's so I just pull the wood and drown it. I've also used a stream, a muddy puddle of water and the bathtub....no rust yet... :D

markasaurus

Bearcat
Alot of good advice here, here's my two cents, i have some old "Guidebook for Marines" back in the days when they still used corrosive ammo. The cleaning procedure is pretty much the same except for 3 points they make 1- clean the weapon as soon as posible after shooting. 2- clean the gun exactly as after firing for the next 3 days afterwards 3- boiling water is an acceptable substitute for removing corrosive ammo residue of nothing else is available.