Mini 14 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Harmony2

Bearcat
Hello! I'm new here and new to the Mini14 which I bought used recently. It seems like she was born in 1999 and is stainless steel. From what I can find, this model is "discontinued", but I don't know what that means and would like to know why. Also, I'd like to extend the pull length with a "screw on" pad. Is that possible? Thanks for your help!

E

Single-Sixer
Current production Mini-14s have a thicker barrel as it comes out of the gas block and Garand-style front sights with protective ears. If yours is from '99, it will have the thinner barrel and a single blade front sight (if it hasn't been modified). Those are really the major differences -- unless yours does not have integral scope mounts. All newer production rifles are "Ranch Rifles" and have the scope mounts. don't know if all Minis made in '99 were Ranch rifles yet or if you could still get rifles without the mounts. Internally, there won't any significant differences and replacement parts (if needed) are readily available.

Screw-on butt pads that add around an inch to length of pull are readily available as well.

Welcome to the forum and happy shooting.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I don't recommend any other mags except factory. Some work better than others though. I have some Triple K 20 rounders that are pretty reliable.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum!

I've had good luck with USA Magazines, but they were all bought back in the '90's. Don't really know about newer production quality.

The discontinued on that model doesn't really mean a whole lot. You can get a zillion different parts and accessories for the 'older' mini-14s.

As asked above... (in a different way) is your rear sight a large peep sight that is adjustable by turning a big knob on the side after pushing in a pin or is it a little flip up peep sight?

I'd stick with factory mags if you have to order some. the time to 'test' aftermarket mags is if you find a good deal at a gun show or flea market.

There are butt plate extenders that will make the stock longer.

rifleman51

Bearcat
Hangfire":3ke4fjsh said:
Buy RUGER factory mags from http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ I have purchased 6 factory 30 round mags from CDNN for $29.99 Ruger Mini 14 .223 30rd Mag New Factory

CDNN sells the 20 round mags for $24.95. And like others have said, pay a little more and get the Ruger mags. You will be glad you did. I have some aftermarket mags that work perfect and some that jam. It's not worth saving a few $$$ and getting stuck with a mag that jams.

Best Regards, John K

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
From CDNN website:

cdnn_2096_46510687.gif

***NET PRICED, NO FURTHER DISCOUNT***
Brand New • Factory Mag
RUGMAG30 $29.99

cdnn_2096_46472965.gif

***NET PRICED, NO FURTHER DISCOUNT***
Brand New • Factory Mags
RUGMAG20 $24.99

:mrgreen:

Dern, that's what I paid for factory mags about 3 years ago. Good deal. I personally like 20 round mags over 30's.

You know in at least one way Bill Ruger was right...
"no honest citizen 'should' need more than 10 rounds."

the key to the sentence is 'should' .

Everybody wants to stock up on extra mags and ammo... a contrary way to look at it is...

"when you really need 'extras', there will probably be plenty laying around" to sort of quote from a pretty good movie.

zebrajeb

Bearcat
blume357":bp7eeny2 said:
Everybody wants to stock up on extra mags and ammo... a contrary way to look at it is...

"when you really need 'extras', there will probably be plenty laying around" to sort of quote from a pretty good movie.

Just ordered a few more myself for my new Mini-14 Tactical! Can never have too many.

Had an older Min-14 for many years and only found PMI worked like factory. Of course, factory 20 rounders were also hard to find in those days.

John

Richbaker

Blackhawk
blume357":rbjt0m2j said:

Maybe for ARs and AKs, but I doubt there'll be many for a Mini laying around...

Harmony2

Bearcat
OK...got my Ruger mags and went to the range. Gun works well, easy and fun to shoot but certainly is no tack driver. I took my M77 II as well and she can knock the cojones off a canary! So, why are the Minis and Ranch Rifles so popular and how/where are you owners using them?

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
AK's aren't tack drivers either but they are "man accurate" out to 200yds. They are just fun to shoot and fulfill what they were made to do. Same said for the Mini. A lot of us like a Mini for similar and different reasons. I like the Garand styling and action. And I like weapons made of wood. I use mine as my take along weapon when out and about. Not a bulls eye rifle but is accurate enough to hit most anything I can see with the naked eye.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I like my mini because it's accurate enough for pest work at the ranch, I got a good deal on it so I don't mind if it gets scratched up, It's a simple mechanism, rugged and reliable, and it looks like a regular rifle instead of an assault rifle. I appreciate the last part, because my wife and a lot of other people have very different reactions to an AR-15 than they do to a Mini. Unfortunately, a lot of people are just conditioned to fear AR pattern weapons, but not something that looks like a hunting rifle, regardless of whether they have the same capacity and fire capabilities.

It's a heck of a lot of fun for plinking out at the ranch too.

Latest posts