mini 14 bolt is stuck in closed position

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DavinFelth

Bearcat
This happened to me this past fall. I don't remember if I got the bolt open again ahead of time, but I took it as a sign it was time to take it apart, clean it up, and lube up it up. I suspect that if you take the trigger assembly out, it'll be easier to get the bolt to slide back.

Nope, no need to do any of that... solution is simple... I call it the 'AK Kick'.

leave the safety on.... place butt of stock on floor with barrel pointed away from you... lift leg so that foot is above the bolt and bring foot / heal down on slide lever pretty hard.

This is actually a pretty normal occurrence for a mini and other semi-auto rifles that are piston operated... depending on type of ammo shot...

Lateck

Single-Sixer
blume357 hits the nail on the head (sort of!) :D
I took a rubber mallet to mine after spraying a lot of lube down the barrel and into the action area.
It took 3 good whacks! :shock:
I have since cleaned and lubed well.
Here is a link to another forum that has the same problem: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/83250-bolt-sticking-mini-14-need-advice.html
Search the word "Stuck" and you'll find more information! :p

Good Luck,

Lateck,

sniper81

Bearcat
Well took the mini apart and took the buffer out went out and shot it for the first time and it jamed on the first pull of the trigger stovepiped cleared it shot it again and another stove pipe cleared it and again another stove pipe, so my question is ,is this common for a break in period or is something wrong

sniper81

Bearcat
Well figured it out the recoil spring was in a bind so straightened it out fires and cycles great I'm not going to put a recoil buffer in it cause most of the people online say they never use one

chrism12743

Bearcat
blume357 said:
Nope, no need to do any of that... solution is simple... I call it the 'AK Kick'.

leave the safety on.... place butt of stock on floor with barrel pointed away from you... lift leg so that foot is above the bolt and bring foot / heal down on slide lever pretty hard.

This is actually a pretty normal occurrence for a mini and other semi-auto rifles that are piston operated... depending on type of ammo shot...
:lol: I used a modified "AK Kick", used a wooden mallet, and it worked. Inspected the gas piston, and lo and behold "RUST"!! I do not understand, this is a brand new piece! I cleaned and lubed, racked the action a few times, all appears in working order. Thanks again, I will always keep a wooden mallet handy!!

chrism12743

Bearcat
blume357 said:

8) By the way I am now going to refer to this problem as "Blume Effect!" It works!!

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
I had one 30 years ago, and had the same problem. At the time, I blamed it on the high level of calcium carbonate used as a flash suppressant in WW 748 powder. Far as I know, none of the myriad other piston guns seem to have this problem, even using corrosive ammo. Only one of the several reasons I sold mine, and will never have another one.

The only reason I called it the 'AK Kick' is I saw one of those shows on the Military channel where they were talking about how wonderful the design of the AK 47 was and they were interviewing some retired military guy and he said yes it would probably fire after laying in mud for a while but the first thing he would do is cycle the action and that would probably require kicking it open.

Chrism12743, it's a lot easier and simpler just to have your foot, with a good boot on it, available than a wooden mallet.