Memorial Day reflections

Help Support Ruger Forum:

During my year in Vietnam ('70-'71) we lost several medevac Hueys with their crews, and while I knew some of the pilots who were killed, I was not close with any of them. By pure luck, the pilots that I was close with (I was a Battalion staff officer at the Battalion headquarters of a medical battalion), none were lost during my time there. The pilot who flew me to Danang, for me to catch my flight to Saigon for me to go home, was lost that very day (I was later told) due to a mechanical failure in his aircraft, and sadly I must have never learned how he spelled his last name since I cannot find him listed on the Wall. I had numerous uncles serve in WWII, and all came home. And the same for some cousins who served in the Korean War. So this Memorial Day, like all of the others, for me is a generic loss, and not a personal loss. But in my heart I add in those who served who died later but who gave the better part of their lives to serving our nation.

After worrying about these two for 30 years I'm very thankful to have them both now retired. Military flying is not one of the safest professions to have in war or peacetime.

Both Squadron COs
1716655309806.png

Captain O-6 Son giving The Oath to his Sister on the day she was promoted to Col. O-6
1716655381401.png

Gopher

Single-Sixer
The Wall lists the dead chronologically. If you know the date, and even just a phonetic spelling, you should be able to find him.
When the Traveling Wall came through they had a list of all of the names and their location on the wall. The guides can take you right to the spot you are looking for.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
My youngest Son is currently in the Navy. He graduated Basic last August. He's contracted as a Seabee rate (CM). However, he was selected for the United States Ceremonial Guard in DC. He completed his initial training, and found himself cross trained as both Firing Party (Rifle/cannon salutes) and Casket Bearer. In the short time he has been a "Guardsman" he has attended hundreds of funerals, mostly in Arlington but also has traveled to other places, including The United States Naval Academy. He has learned an incredible amount about Arlington and the Ceremonial Guards mission in honoring our fallen Sailors and Marines.

He is only a couple hours away and comes home on weekends if he doesn't have duty or other Guard commitments. One weekend he showed us (using my M1A Rifle) the movements for 21 gun salute. It was incredible how precise each movement is. Most recently he came home during Casket Bearer training. He showed us how to present the folded flag to the family using my Wife as the family member receiving the flag. He was very precise. As he recited the words, even though it was just for show, I had never heard such respect from him. My Wife, and others in the room were struck and actually teared up. I've been to several military funerals. But watching him present that flag and speak those words so seriously was unreal.

This Memorial Day and each going forward will be different for him. I am so proud he has experienced this and has grown even more respect for our fallen. It's only a 2yr billet. He will move on to his initial contract rate training next year as a Seabee. But this command will have a special place in his heart throughout his enlistment/career and life.

XUSNORDIE please show your son my poem. I would be honored if it was read at Arlington! My dad was an Operating Engineer and worked with many Seabees. Construction Mechanic is a good rating and very employable in civilian life. Please thank him for his service on my behalf. I will be working today as I do most holidays but am thinking of those brave men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Hindsight and maturity take so long in developing.
God bless all out active and retired servicemen, veterans and KIA
I hope this country will come to appreciate their service, commitment and sacrifices in making this country great.

Last edited: