Marlin Dark Series…now shipping in 45-70, more calibers to come.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
You're not wrong WMG but another thing to consider is states like mine of Illinois.
Come 01-01-2024 the AR platform is illegal to own here.
This lever action is NOT.
The military went through a few other chamberings between 45-70 and 5.56mm. And actions.
Maybe they could start building retro M1 Garands for the Illinois market.

But... having to lug around a big sack of 45-70 would certainly limit the ammo carrying capability of the typical school shooter.

Not my cup of tea, but Ruger continues to expand the Marlin line-up.

Makes sense to me, given who owns the company - a Marlin with a Ruger "boat paddle" stock:

1698956268483.png

:cool:

Last edited:
They look fine to me. I'd probably even buy one myself, if the 44Mag version is legal for hunting in MD.

Yeah, everybody is different - I think the synthetic furniture seems to go better with a stainless steel firearm, functionally. And I've never really cared for metal handguards, although that probably comes from spending too much time on The FAL Files forum when I was building FALs (guys would joke about having to steal the wife's oven mitt out of the kitchen, when they were taking a G1 or StG58 to the range - metal handguards can get HOT)!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:
For what it is it looks good, in my opinion. I think a bit of the increased popularity of lever guns is the potential ban on AR platform rifles. Personally, I don't think they will ever be banned completely but there are a lot of smaller infringements that make a lever gun a popular choice. And with a lot of states trying to pass magazine capacity regulations, lever guns seem to be immune for now.

Personally I prefer some nice wood, and I'm not even opposed to well executed laminate. I would like to see Ruger make a no-frills version of the 1894. Keep the smooth reliable internals and give it a laminated stock and Cerakote finish. Knock a few hundred off the price the current ones sell for and they'd have a winner. Sort of a "Super Wrangler" version of the 1894. Bring it in at MSRP of $899, street price $749 and watch them fly off the shelves.

hittman

Staff member
…… AR platform rifles. Personally, I don't think they will ever be banned completely……
That ship has already sailed. State by state. Effective here 1-1-24.
Pols gonna whittle down the 2A to single shot shotguns and 22s.

And that won't be the end.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I'd like to see Ruger put out a stainless and walnut 39-a and the same in a 336 trapper model.
Bont get me wrong.
I have a serious model 77 mk 2 boat paddle fetish.
But those lever dark series guns are 100% FUGLY.

There are some things in life that are sacrid and perfect the way the creator intended them to be.
Leverguns are one of those things.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I'm OK with AR's being AR's, and Levergun's being Levergun's. But the two just don't blend well visually IMO...That being said, tastes in firearms is a highly subjective matter, and we're fortunate to be living at a period in time where there's a little something firearms wise being produced for pretty much everyone, which is of course is a GOOD thing! 👍

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Henry's sold plenty of the X models, and the one I handled was light and fast-handling. And companies like Ranger Point have been selling plenty of accessories for the Henry like M-LOK style forends, skeletonized stocks and the other things that the Marlin comes equipped with right out of the box. The price point is about what a Henry X would cost retail with the Ranger Point add-ons, purchased separately and installed by the customer.

I'm sure Ruger will sell plenty of these as long as they're well-built and have a slick action. I'd take one in .44 myself.

The only thing I'm having trouble adjusting to is ordinary lever guns being priced over $1000.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I laughed seeing that. Not really surprised though as there's plenty that think "ooooh, it's black, polymer and it has a rail...it's tactical I gotta have one now". When the market is of shall I say "vacant space minded", those three aspects will sell anything.

Latest posts