Marlin 1894c vs. Winchester 1892 short rifle (.357)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, I'd like your opinions on this. I've had the Marlin (.357) for awhile, it's in excellent condition and is one of the last JM guns. I have the box & everything it came with. I've become enamored with these newer Miroku rifles. I've been reviewing my collection of late and have been changing up some things. I'm seeing the Marlins going for a pretty penny on GB, so I'm not sure what it's worth in the real world. The guy at my LGS thinks I should hang onto the Marlin. He says he's never seen a Winchester that could outshoot a Marlin. Any of you Folk's have one of these short rifles in .357? If so, how does it shoot? I'm looking at $975 otd for the Winchester & he'd have to order it. Thank's for any input-Dave

I have the Marlin 1894c. I'm not saying the Winchester 1892 is not a fine rifle because it is. Miroku does a fine job building them. I just prefer an American made rifle. I haven't played with the 1892 to make the claims that your LGS dealer made, but have no doubts they are fine rifles.
I think if I was going to get rid of my 1894 (and I don't see me ever doing that) I'd try to find a browning 92. They are very nice guns as well.

FWIW $975 for a Miroku Winchester is a pretty good deal. They must be having trouble selling them. I'd be surprised if you got more than $700 for your Marlin, but since I haven't tried to sell mine obviously I can't say for sure. Market is extremely soft right now for these kinds of guns.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
My Rossi SS 357MAG carbine will outshoot my Marlin 357 carbine, my Browning[Miroku] 357 carbine, and--AND--the Uberti '73 357 rifle.
And so it goes...
PS: ALL are keepers...

bogus bill

Hunter
I have two of the type. A early Browning 92 in .44 mag and a Puma .357. They are almost the same gun and both good. Never had a Marlin in a pistol caliber. The Browning is slightly more desirable market wise but I like shooting the .357 mag more as I term it a "sweetheart" compared to the harder kicking .44 mag. When I bought the browning the shop also had one in .357 and I really wish I had picked that one first.

Del J

Single-Sixer
azleite
I have both Marlin (jm marked) 1894's and Miroku 1892 rifle (made about 1999) both great guns. I would hang on the Marlin for sure. Even though Remington is finally getting their act together on making a good 1894. A JM marked rifle will hold it's value. The side ejection on the 1894 marlin is a plus to some, but the 1892 is a great rifle to shoot even with top ejection, it has a lot of history. As far one outshooting the other, it would be on tie to me. Either way it is all fun shooting with either.

P.S. My main match SASS rifle is a Uberti 1873 .357 mag. that is another story.
Del J/Bigfoot Jim

I had a Rossi 92 in .44 mag. It had an metal piece at the end of the stock, and it is the only gun I have shot that bruised my shoulder! Couple that with rotten sights, which I did change out with a replacement from Steve's Gunz, when I needed money, it got sold. Yep, wish I still had it. Could have removed the metal and put a butt pad on it!
Keep the Marlin, they aren't made that good any more.
gramps

#1rugerman

Single-Sixer
I have a Marlin.357, it's a fun gun, short, easy to carry, good power with light recoil, I have killed several deer with it, you have to keep the range short and shot placement is critical, but it will do the job. Kids really enjoy it, not to hard to handle, they really enjoy shooting jugs filled with water.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank's Folk's for all the input. After giving the Marlin a good hard look last night and realizing all the rounds I've put through her since I bought her new about ten years ago I'm definitely going to keep her. She might even get a Skinner sight for Christmas. Thanks again for bringing me to my senses! Have a great Thanksgiving everyone- Dave

Mus408

Hunter
I have the urge to get a nice short rifle in .44 Mag to go with my SBH .44 Mag.

Henry's are good with great customer service but the front loading tube thing gets me.
New Marlin (Remlins) are getting better but the action and triggers need some work.
The Uberti's are good... and the Rossi R-92 can be good with some work.

We will see!

bogus bill

Hunter
Having both I still say the .357 is a joy to shoot where the .44 mag is a bear to shoot AND I am a big heavy man. The .357 will do every thing you want along side the .44 unless maybe you are encountering a grizz or polar bear. Light, accurate, hardly any recoil, cheaper ammo and more of a sweetheart to shoot.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I have multiples of both and like them all but....the Miroku made rifles are head and shoulders above any Marlin. Or domestic Winchester of the last +100yrs for that matter. The 1892 is a peach of a design, much more refined and svelte than the Marlin 1894 and much better suited to the smaller chamberings. Not to mention being stronger for the larger chamberings. The only downside, if there is one, is that the Marlin is easier to put a receiver sight or scope on.

I have both Marlin and Miroku Winchester leverguns that shoot sub-MOA.

I have handled all 3 listed, the old marlin, japan 92 and rossi 92. I like all of them and kept a lookout for a nice used 1. My luck was a Navy arms 92 made by rossi late 1970s. Used, never fired .357. The family of the deceased gun nut put all his guns up for sale at local shop. I could not pass it up. That was 6 years ago. I should have grabbed another one as there were 6 to 8 in different cal.s and styles. These do not have the silly bolt safety etc, looks like a real win 92, case harden receiver, blued oct. barrel, walnut wood. Action was stiff as you can imagine. That was taken care of by me, I also got the Steves 92 rossi DVD and slicked it up further. I would prefer a real win 92, but I want a shooter not safe queen. There is no pre drilled receiver sight screws, so I got a Skinner barrel mount pep. That takes away from the old gun looks but makes it shoot much better with my old eyes. If I had found a Marlin, A small scope would go on it's top like a 1x to 4x compact type. Fun to shoot, I only shoot .357s in it just because I have hundreds and use the .38s in handguns.

Such discussions are often very opinionated, and if you can get past that, there are really no wrong answers.

My preference, absolutely, would be Marlin. Even the new ones. In spite of all the hate, I still think they're great.

The Miroku lever guns are also pretty great and gorgeous. All this said, a Rossi or Henry can also perform as intended, allowing the wonderful Marlins, and Winchester and Browning Miroku's to remain protected in the closet, mostly unused.

A pretty dysfunctional relationship exists between safe queens and shooter-grade or shooter-priced lever guns. We shoot the bargain guns, make excuses about how they're good enough, but allow the really nice guns to languish in a safe.

I've tried numerous times to own a Rossi '92. About the time I'm ready, I'm reminded of just how rough they are. I've shot them, and if you can get the rudimentary and bargain basement factory sight to adjust far enough to actually match point of impact, they really shoot well.

There was a place that specialized in fine-tuning Rossi's. Steve's Gunz? Work must have been plentiful, as I could never get a response from him.

So I will continue to be happy with my Marlin.

bogus bill

Hunter
I still am kicking my butt. Around 1970 I had a old winchester 92 I had bought when a teenager in the 1950`s. It was a 25-20 octagon barreled rifle in bad shape and shot out. Think I had gave $20 for it. I had connections with a good gunsmith and decided to restore it to .357 mag. He sent the barrel out and had it reblued. I had a close gun nut friend that was a aircraft mechanic and he polished it out before I got it reblued. I bought new wood for it and when they got through with it the gun looked new except for the shallow letter stamping. It shot just fine but as usual I sold or traded it off at a gunshow. Then I bought a well used 1873 in shot out 32 WCF. I had that one bored out and converted to .38 special although I left the wood and finish alone. It also shot good and I again sold or traded that one off too!
Now I own the Rossi Puma .357 and Browning 92 in .44 mag shown earlier. I have never used him but have read a lot of good things about "Steves guns" mentioned above as he supposedly is the "Guru" for the 92 copycats over at the "Levergunner" site.
I also owned this 1902 mfg model 92 in 44 wcf that came off a Indian reservation in the Dakota`s. A relic, in bad shape with a leather repaired stock. I had it hanging on a wall but it and many more old west type guns etc were stolen out of my house in 2003 in California. Sooooo if you ever see this one let me know!

Latest posts