Mark 1 needs some TLC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

when you say "refurbish" ,meaning, the finish or the overall working, function of the the firearm??? a decent ,closeup picture will tell us a lot as to the finish, but would have to use, feed,fire and function so see how it performs....... aside form the fact is it a Mark I ( the target model or the RST standard auto?)the MORE "original" any gun is, the more it is worth, rarity and packaging, serial number ranges, etc have the "value" or "interest"....there was an original early 1960s RTS-4 in its original box, and all very nice shape, guy next to me bought it for $300.........we've seen them sell for $450 the SAME "mint" package, same as the Mark I T-512, I sold at the holidays in the box for $450....so depends on what YOU want....if its "something" ( familyheirloom??) then worth saving and keeping, if to speculate, then you will putting time and money in something that is quite common, run of the mill?? they did make LOTS and lots of them since 1949 , until the Mark II came out in 1982..............:cool:;)

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
They're not worth a lot of money even in excellent condition. Unless of course it's a 2 or 3 digit serial number.

I'd slap a new finish on it if I was bored and wanting to play with things like Ceracoat. Don't expect a "return on investment" if you wanna sell it later.

Bruce Warren

Bearcat
AA675C3B-7640-4870-8D0F-CBC16A6BB0B2.jpeg

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Myself, I welcome Ruger MK series in any condition to my collection if the price is right. I have a 1954 model with less finish than your has and I will probably leave it that way. There is no rust on it and it shoots just fine. I have a 1976 Standard BI-Centenial model that I wanna get re-blued some day. If that were my pistol I think I would strip the remaining bluing off and polish the bare steel just to see how that would look.

INLINECHEVY6.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
Myself, I'd strip it down, thoroughly de-grease it, give it a couple of rub downs with a quality cold blue, followed by a good coating of oil, another degrease after sitting overnight, then a coating of Renaissance wax...And shoot it, shoot it...And shoot it some more and ENJOY it!

that standard auto (RST-6) would be a piece of cake to buff down, and to reblue, yes you could even buff it all down yourself and as noted above do some sort of cold blue ( plum brown) rust blue whatever,,,me, I'd buff it all off and take it to the local Black oxide shop and have them dip in their tanks,,,theres ONLY two parts need to be done, the grip frame and the upper receiver......duh:cool::rolleyes:;)

here's a couple I stripped down recently.........

ePiRcZ1m.jpg

....just before we reblued them.......

Last edited:
No box or papers. Shoots and functions well. Stripped and sonic cleaned.
Can't decide what I should do.
If no pitting and the metal is otherwise perfect, I'd send the upper off to be case colored and if Tyler Gun Works can do the stamped steel grip frame with their lower temperature process, I'd have that done as well (Turnbull told me no on the grip frame). Otherwise, I'd have the grip frame blued. ;)

moparclan

Single-Sixer
I have a 1964 that was worse off than that, sent it to Ruger many years ago with a $35 MO to reblue and check the loose barrel to frame fit.
Got it back in like new condition with a list of new parts and a note saying repaired and reblued "warranty work" no charge! My $35 money order
was in the box also. Great service, but I doubt they will do it now. :confused:

I bought this one with no finish that the dealer tried to say it was stainless and refinished with several applications of cold blue and hot water dips in between to help set the bluing. Gave it to my grandson.
MKI.JPG

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
If it has sentimental value,I would send it out for a professional hot blue. You won't regret it. Or, I would leave it alone.
Cold blue never looks right to me no matter what I do and it stinks. If you imagine it with a deep blue-black finish, then cold blue might not be a good option.