Man, am I going to have some fun this evening, tomorrow, too!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've had 7 colonoscopys, butt no more! Had sub-total procto collectomy 15 years ago for Ulcerative Colitis (Ileostomy). I think they used valium for the first few, and you were awake and could watch on screen. I refused the medication/anasthetic for the last 3or 4 and could not really tell the difference pain wise, and didn't need a driver with me to get home. But I've had 3 or 4 Endoscopys since, and don't refuse the meds for this because of the gag reflex. Glad everything came out OK Cholo!

JimC1953

Bearcat
I had an employee who was going in for her first one several years back. She told me that it was coming up and that she would need the day of the procedure off (a Thursday) but that she would be in on Wednesday. At that time the cleanse started the day before I knew since I had one earlier that year. I told her, "take Wednesday off, you will need it."

When she came in Friday she said "Oh my god, there is no way I could have worked on Wednesday! I don't think I moved more than 5' from the bathroom all afternoon!"

Old Muleskinner

Bearcat
I have actually been having to fight to have one done. 65 and never had one and at least 4 of my siblings have had polyps removed and my favorite aunt died of colon cancer. With last years physical my old doc ordered the poop in the box for me instead of the colonoscopy I had requested. I would have argued but for the fact that I'd just been told I needed surgery on a blocked femoral artery. I was pretty consumed with that thought since the last time I was on a ventilator they blew a hole in my lung. Then my doc put in my medical record that I had declined the colonoscopy although he tried to get me to do it. I complained and when they questioned him he said he couldn't do it because I had had a heart attack and quad bypass surgery 4 months earlier. Got a new doc and first thing he told me I didn't need a colonoscopy since I pooped in the box last year and would have to wait 2 more years. I went to a great gastroenterologist that said I need a colonoscopy now. He said they would contact me in a week to schedule it and go over everything. Halfway through the third week now still waiting anxiously hoping to get scheduled. Gastro doc said they had to clear it with medicare and my cardiologist since I have to stop taking blood thinners for a little while. Spending 12 days in the ICU a year ago and not knowing when I got to the hospital if I would even survive has made me look at things differently. Life is pretty fragile. I will gladly take that colonoscopy.

volshooter

Buckeye
Propofol is what they used on me. Said it was the "Michael Jackon" drug. Put my lights out quicker than a ball bat. My Dr said it gave me problems because my brain needed to reboot. Honestly I don't sleep deep. My noggin is always working. I keep a pad and pencil next to my bed as I work out problems in my sleep. That was rough when I took calculus in college. As a supervisor in construction, I've always been able to work out the next days work/problems in my sleep. And no I don't sleep well.

volshooter

Buckeye
As far as the process, whatever I eat tonight will pass tomorrow morning. Been blessed, never experienced constipation in my life. Seen a documentary bout how many pounds of stuff packed in our colin. Apparently doesn't apply to me.

44Squatch

Single-Sixer
just make sure that if they use the same scope to pick the top end to go first …
My wife and I actually went in together for ours … kinda like a "couples massage", but not quite as exhilarating. I, being the a$$hat of the group, had to tell the docs that if we were sharing a scope that I deserved to go first. In actuality we were in adjoining rooms and the same doc but different teams handled us individually.

The fun part was telling our 20 year old shy son that he had to drive us there and back. Well that was fine until they wanted to see him, see his license and have him wait in the lounge for us. He was hoping for sitting in the car and waiting.

Then we walk out, Mom and Dad, a two-fer getting the rectums rootered, and he's our Uber driver …

I love embarrassing him

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Cholo, glad to hear the good results. Most people talk during the sedation but of course won't remember it. I always ask if I did and what I said. You may be surprised what you've said while under the milk of amnesia.

nekvermont

Buckeye
Cholo, glad to hear the good results. Most people talk during the sedation but of course won't remember it. I always ask if I did and what I said. You may be surprised what you've said while under the milk of amnesia.
I've always been concerned about what I might say while "under". The last time, I told the nurse I hope I didn't offend anyone and all she said was "Hey, we've heard it all." That didn't make me feel any better.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I've always been concerned about what I might say while "under". The last time, I told the nurse I hope I didn't offend anyone and all she said was "Hey, we've heard it all." That didn't make me feel any better.
Although they profess to be informative/helpful, some medical people, not all, often can be evasive unless you pin them down with specific questions. It's like they don't want to share the knowledge too much or maybe they can't say I don't know if they don't know. It can be disconcerting and require a little assertiveness from we, the patients.

The MiraLax mixed with Gatorade only tasted like, um, Gatorade. It had no bad taste whatsoever.

What do they give you now to knock you out? 10 years ago it literally didn't do anything at all after 2 injections into my IV tube. I could have climbed off the table and gone for a motorcycle ride.

Surely they can do better this time. At least I hope so.
They used to use Versed, but now they use propofol (milk of amnesia lol), because it is short acting. I have literally given thousands of cc/ml of that drug. Good stuff!
gramps

Last edited:
When I was filling out all of the paperwork for the procedure there was a male nurse that had a personality of 0 on a scale of 1-10. He said: Well, at least this will be your last one. I said: I hope I live till 80! He said: (nothing) :oops:

Oh, I'm thankful just to still be around! This is just preventative maintenance, getting my exhaust system checked LOL

20-some polyps, yikes! I'm glad that's in the past!
Curses upon that nurse!!! He must have had a hangover? Still it isn't the patients fault! it will be a memory soon!
gramps

I'm not sure I'd want to know anything I might have said :(
Generally people don't say anything! But there was the time back in the mid 1980's my second wife was having major surgery at the hospital I worked at. Anesthesia of choice back then was Sodium Pentobarbital (truth serum). So the nurses asked if there was anything I didn't want my coworkers to know. Wifey through me under the bus instantly! Oh, yeah she said: "Lawrence uses Mary Kay facial on his hands every night!" The surgical suite was loud with laughter!!! At that time I was washing my hands a lot and my hands had weeping sores due to that. The MK facial moisturized/healed my hands. I put on vinyl gloves over that at night.
Cholo, I am so happy it turned out well!
gramps

Last edited:

314Chevy

Single-Sixer
I remember my first like it was yesterday (it was 15 years ago). I swear I saw a set of car keys from my first car come out, at the very least things from the 70's were in the mix.
I will never understand people in CA who pay to be "irrigated" like this when they are in their 20's and 30's.
On a serious note, its far better to have a colonoscopy and have a pre-cancerous growth than not have one and find out the hard way.

4896worker

Bearcat
I have had 2 of them I found out the best way to deal with drinking the clean out fluid is to pinch your nose and drink it . Pinching you nose really kills your taste buds