Am I being paranoid?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I already am a little. Here's what I'm talking about. Ordered a shoulder rig from my usual vendor up in Alaska a couple months ago. It was shipped 19Apr to me in Monroe County MS via USPS. Took 5 days to get to the Jackson, MS USPS Distribution Center, which is normal. But Jackson for some reason shipped it to Greenville, SC yesterday evening, instead of the normal In-State routing. So I did a little investigating, and found that the ATF, US Marshalls, FBI, and Secret Service all have offices in Greenville! Hmmmmm. So I'm wondering if USPS flagged the package as suspicious merch, and dropped it off for the Feds to do their thing. After all, who buys shoulder rigs for 1911's these day? :unsure: :ninja:

I already am a little... So I'm wondering if USPS flagged the package as suspicious merch, and dropped it off for the Feds to do their thing. After all, who buys shoulder rigs for 1911's these day? :unsure: :ninja:

I think a normal reaction might be, "You probably worry too much" - but federal law enforcement goes off the rails just often enough, that who really knows? All those people in Waco, Texas ended up dead because (IIRC) some postal guy saw an inert grenade casing in the mail, and got the ATF involved. More recently, there was the oh-dark-thirty, no-knock ATF SWAT raid on the airport manager in Arkansas (surprise, surprise, no ATF body cams, according to reports). Plus "Fast & Furious" (RIP, Border Patrol officer Brian Terry), plus Ruby Ridge (RIP, Vicki & Sammy Weaver), etc., etc.

I'm NOT suggesting that anyone start loading mags & nail the doors shut - it's more an observation that situational awareness is important, and maybe having contact info handy for your preferred legal professional, if there's any possibility that weird or unexpected events may occur.

And by the way, I've seen the USPS do some really odd things with my own packages, and none of them have coincided with any federal 'alphabet agency' activities (so far as I know ;^).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

edm1

Single-Sixer
Your problem is Jackson MS. They are incompetent. My dad mailed me a birthday card that went through Jackson. Never arrived. 2 months later mailed another and it took a month. This year my MIL mailed my wife a bday card that took a month to get from Jackson to KY. Mine took 3 weeks.

gnappi

Blackhawk
I have had some shipments ping pong around the country for weeks before being delivered.

I think it's some blue flu or deliberate work slowdown to get bargaining leverage.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Hard to argue the paranoia, but I will say this. I'm an hour north of Detroit. There is a USPS hub in Detroit and one in Allen Park, (10 min from Detroit) If my packages go to Detroit it takes three to five days to make it here. Allen Park is next day.

Paul B

Hunter
A few years back there was a knock on my door and it was an inspector from the USPS inquiring about a package that had broken open on a conveyor belt at a Post Office. He asked, "Did I order bullets that were delivered through the mail?" I said, Yes, but I haven't received them as of yet." Seems the postal jerk who found them immediately called the postal inspectors about ammo going through the mail. I got a lecture about sending live ammo in the mail ad nauseum, then he opened his brief case and handed me a baggie full of bullets. He told me that was all they could find and to please count them. All 200 Nosler 200 gr. Partition were there. Had a pleastant talk on reloading ammo and he said he'd love to learn how. I told him to stop by when he had the time and I'd show him how to do it. When he said he shot 9MM I said save up your brass and I'll show you what to get and you can do it on my gear. I wonder if he'll ever stop by?
Paul B.

I have had some shipments ping pong around the country for weeks before being delivered.

I think it's some blue flu or deliberate work slowdown to get bargaining leverage.

Might be! About 10 or 15 years ago, I sold a couple of mining engineering text books that I didn't need anymore, to a college student in Los Angeles. I shipped them bookrate, so I was expecting about a week for delivery; I was very pleasantly surprised to see them make it from Denver to the post office in L.A. (only a mile from the delivery address) in just 3 days! Great job, USPS!

But instead of taking the books the last mile to the buyer's home, somebody at the post office sent the package to (I kid you not) Ohio. So, 4-5 days to Ohio; then 2-3 more days for somebody in Ohio to figure out the package wasn't supposed to be anywhere near Ohio; and then another week to reach the buyer in L.A. But at least it got there! ("Good job! Good job!", as Hancock used to say.)

I actually printed out the tracking history, figuring it was proof that "truth is more amazing than fiction" (but I've moved twice since then, and I'm not sure where I put it ;^).

(Edit: I still prefer USPS to UPS/FedEx! ;^)

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Your problem is Jackson MS. They are incompetent. My dad mailed me a birthday card that went through Jackson. Never arrived. 2 months later mailed another and it took a month. This year my MIL mailed my wife a bday card that took a month to get from Jackson to KY. Mine took 3 weeks.
Did some more investigating and found this documentary about the USPS, so I reckon my rig will show up. I'm gonna check it for bugs tho. ;)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I assume the package Freon Alaska is boxed up and sealed.

How does the Post Office know what's inside?

They wouldn't unless they hacked the shipper, and they know who that is. A hack would gain them this info, same as with any other on-line shipper:

This is the pertinent info in the order verification email I received when I ordered it. The order number, shipping address, etc. is also in that email.

SSR_Front_RS_compact_cropped.jpg
Leather Shoulder Holster × 1

Gun Model: 1911 45 acp w/o rail
Barrel Length: 5"
Type of Magazine: 1911-Single Stack (8 round)
Draw Hand: Right Hand
Upload a picture of your gun: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1329/1561/uploads/64e87f372260a464f944c1499b9768de.JPG
How did you hear about us?: Return Customer

I ordered an airgun sight from a business in Arizona. It arrived in Allen Park, MI in three days. Allen Park is about 50 miles from me. It spent the the next 6 weeks going back and forth from where I live to Allen Park. After numerous visits to the post office the manager finally found it. It was stuffed into a corner of one of their shipping baskets and was overlooked when they emptied it.

I'll share my experience. I ordered a small package that would fit in one of the mailers from a company and they mailed it out the next day. They supplied the tracking label. I could've driven an hour and 45 minutes south of me to pick the item up, but instead the cost of shipping wasn't that expensive. That package went from Beaumont to San Antonio to North Houston to South Houston to Shreveport, Louisiana before it finally made it to Alexandria. Took seven days. I don't see how anyone can run a business and make it cost-effective under those conditions.

HW11

Single-Sixer
Something my wife ordered for Christmas this year was from a business about an hour and a half from us over in NC. Tracking showed when it was shipped it went to GA, TN and back to Roanoke VA then to the local distribution center for delivery. Kinda makes me wonder how that can be the most cost effective route.

DGW1949

Hunter
Hey Gunny.......I'm in Luka MS and buy a lot of ammo (which also routes through Jackson on it's way here). Everything considered, I'm purty-sure that if/when TPTB start coming after folks based on info being gleaned from carriers, I'll be way up on the list before they get around to guys buying a holster. LOL....Yeah, I'm thinking that you are still fairly safe.

DGW

Last edited:
Maybe it's coming to me? It's just a shoulder holster... I've be more worried someone down at UsPS center here wants it. Just about 1 mile from me. Hopefully it will turn around.
The last gun related item I had sent USPS... spent over a month going back and forth between two places in NY & NJ.

Few years back I had a pistol going to my FFL get here priority mail and turn around and go to Pittsburg for two days....

Keep watching it... the shipper may have to contact your local Post Master and they will have to send some kind of investigation form/trace to Greenville.

Oh, and it is easy to know what is inside.... they don't even need aliens for that we have the technology. ....

Latest posts