Making the .45 Xtra Short.............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I use my bandsaw to cut .45 Colt cases to approximate length. Here is a jig I made to hold five cases for cutting:

The block of wood is .845" thick birch, about 1 1/2" thick, eight or nine inches in length. I drilled five 5/8" dia. holes for the brass. This allows the rim to serve as a stop.

The case head side:

And other side:

Running through the bandsaw. USE A PUSH BLOCK, EYE PROTECTION, AND EAR PROTECTION!

At this point the case measures about .894" After sawing I neck expand the case again before trimming.

Trimming to .888" case length:

And just to show off, my cigar box case trimmer accessories case:

That's it.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Greebe said:
So will you shoot it in a .45 Colt cylinder?

I do, don't have an ACP cylinder. I used to shoot ACP cases in my Ruger 45 Colt cylinders with a thinned down modified S&W moon clip by removing cylinder. It's actually a faster unload/reload in a SA with a preloaded moon clip. But we didn't have to reload on the clock for CAS shooting. So the only advantage was for a self defense carry reload.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Very nice I just bought the new Bisley 45LC/ACP just so I would have an easy reduced load with out half loading the Long Colt cases I'll save them for hunting. If I did it have that ACP option I would be sawing up some LC Brass. Great post I will not forget as I have saved the info. Thank you

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I just cheated and bought a huge bag of Adirondack Jack's .45 cowboy specials several years ago. Are they not available now?

veeman

Single-Sixer
Not from Starline, but are available at American Cowboy Ammo. http://acammo.com/ That's where I got mine.

Latest posts