Making polymer grips at home

Help Support Ruger Forum:

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Been thinking I would like new grips for some of my handguns. Like the look of ivory, leaning toward polymer ivory grips. The problem is for what they are the cost seems high, and I have not found any options for my Mark I. Does anyone here know of a way to make my own at home? Any good links to mold making and pouring? Have searched the internet and have not found anything great.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I am currently working on a set of grips for a 2" snubbie. They are polymer. First I made a pair out of wood and Bondo, which fit my hand. Next, I made silicone molds, and then poured the polymer into the molds. Now I need to clean up the molded parts, and perhaps correct a bit of warp. I'm not convinced that the silicone mold was the best way, but I'm giving it a try. You can find EVERYTHING you need (and a lot more) at the following website. Again, a flexible silicone mold might not have been ideal, but there are other options:
http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm

Good luck, and it should be a lot of fun, if one has patience.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you like the ivory look, have you considered using wood like American Holly? It looks great & can fool many into thinking it's ivory.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
woodsy said:
I am currently working on a set of grips for a 2" snubbie. They are polymer. First I made a pair out of wood and Bondo, which fit my hand. Next, I made silicone molds, and then poured the polymer into the molds. Now I need to clean up the molded parts, and perhaps correct a bit of warp. I'm not convinced that the silicone mold was the best way, but I'm giving it a try. You can find EVERYTHING you need (and a lot more) at the following website. Again, a flexible silicone mold might not have been ideal, but there are other options:
http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm

Good luck, and it should be a lot of fun, if one has patience.

Thanks, lots of information on that site, sounds like you are doing what I have in mind. Figured I could make the grips out of pine, cheap to throw in the wood burner if I don't like them, to get the fit right then mold them. Good idea with the Bondo if I remove too much wood instead of starting over.

Are you using a mold like they showed where you put the original on a board and pour the silicone in the box? Was kind of looking at the mold clay also.

woodsy

Blackhawk
"Are you using a mold like they showed where you put the original on a board and pour the silicone in the box? Was kind of looking at the mold clay also."

I used the "mold putty", which is clay-like in texture, mainly because it cures very quickly. Unfortunately, it is quite flexible when cured, which I think is why the molded grips turned out a little warped. I may be able to "heat-straighten" the molded grips. If not, I will try the plaster of paris method, or that other pourable silicone, which takes MUCH longer to cure. Fun trying out a few different things.
The other advantage of Bondo, is that one can pull a plastic bag over one's hand, then grip the Bondo as it cures, thus easily getting a fit to one's actual hand, very easily. Bondo does get warm, though.

chapnelson

Bearcat
I make knives, and use different polymer handle materials. Rather than cast your own, you could just order a set of precut handle scales, usually 2x5x1/8-3/8, and shape to fit, $10 maybe. Whole sheet 12x12 is cheap. I'm plotting a set for a Mk2 in ivory micarta myself.

woodsy

Blackhawk
chapnelson said:
I make knives, and use different polymer handle materials. Rather than cast your own, you could just order a set of precut handle scales, usually 2x5x1/8-3/8, and shape to fit, $10 maybe. Whole sheet 12x12 is cheap. I'm plotting a set for a Mk2 in ivory micarta myself.
EXCEPT, for guns which have the grips wrap around any part of the frame. Considerably more complicated in that situation. Examples: Ruger DA revolvers, Czech 24-26 semi-auto's, etc.
For me, I'm ditching the "mold putty" because of warping I had, and will try plaster of paris, next.

chapnelson

Bearcat
woodsy said:
chapnelson said:
EXCEPT, for guns which have the grips wrap around any part of the frame. Considerably more complicated in that situation. Examples: Ruger DA revolvers, Czech 24-26 semi-auto's, etc.
For me, I'm ditching the "mold putty" because of warping I had, and will try plaster of paris, next.

Well, as many wraparound grips are two pieces held on with a screw, like S&W target grips, you could use thicker blocks of your material and carve/mill or rout it out, or what I've done is stack it in layers, with smaller pieces to fit around the frame like a Round Butt S&W or GP100 or SP101, affixed to the larger outer pieces. When polished you can't even see the seams, unless you want to ... I could see a 6 or 8 layer set up, with ivory around the frame and thin on two sides, with a thin spacing layer, and then a nice wood on the outer layers. Contour would be pretty ... now I've got another project!

It boils down to doing what you know, and I think there's a lot of ways to skin a cat. If casting works for you, go for it!

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
chapnelson said:
Well, as many wraparound grips are two pieces held on with a screw, like S&W target grips, you could use thicker blocks of your material and carve/mill or rout it out, or what I've done is stack it in layers, with smaller pieces to fit around the frame like a Round Butt S&W or GP100 or SP101, affixed to the larger outer pieces. When polished you can't even see the seams, unless you want to ... I could see a 6 or 8 layer set up, with ivory around the frame and thin on two sides, with a thin spacing layer, and then a nice wood on the outer layers. Contour would be pretty ... now I've got another project!

It boils down to doing what you know, and I think there's a lot of ways to skin a cat. If casting works for you, go for it!

Now you have me thinking, 1/32" micarta and walnut laminated ply might be interesting, would be real neat if you could warp it to give it a damascus look!

Bruce in WV

Single-Sixer
I'd like to be able to change the grips on my birdshead NMBH and install conversion grips that are more like a traditional NMBH (without changing the birdshead grip frame). Following the ideas from this thread I think I could pull this off with minimal shop gear and a little elbow grease. Sounds like a pleasant winter project.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Epishemore said:
Nothing new here.

See page 44

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1959issues/G0359.pdf
Well, that is about one of the most useless articles I have ever seen, at least by today's viewpoint. Where to get the materials???
How does one make the mold, and of what?? Etc. etc. And, 1959??? Really? How about today, eh?
Typical of that publication; merely a space-filler.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
So as this winter has been trying to end I still have not built any grips. Now I have another idea, one of the guys on Anything 1911 group on face book posted these he had made from scraps of solid surface countertop material like Corian. He said he had some scrap left over and thought what the heck, I don't have any granite grips. This material would work better than actual granite as it is light weight, just wonder how hard it would be to checker them. He says he might try that another day. Might have to start talking to contractors and see what they have for scrap. Now I have another option to think about, why hasn't anyone done this before?

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
You can layup thin dyed white veneers and epoxy. Check out the link below and you can see what they look like. Those were made back in the late '70's.

http://sergeantviolin.com/pmi.html

Corian has no grain and I'll try to checker a small peice I have left over from my years in the marine electronics business. Delrin is nice as well but a bit softer. Both materials can be worked using woodworking tools.