Making PC Bullets PC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Is the "real deal" Johnson's floor wax still available? I had seen a few comments on a different forum that suggested they had changed the formula, or stopped making it. I couldn't find it the last time I looked, but that was a couple of years ago, in a small town in Arizona.
I was new at casting when they announced they were going to discontinue making the JLFW. I went straight away to Home Depot and bought all they had (the only place in town that still had some). Got 8 cans I think. Still have 7.5 cans. They sell on eBay from $20-80 per can.

flintlock62

Bearcat
I recently started PC'ing my boolits. I spent a few years with the Lee tumble lube. While the tumble lube does work, it's awful messy and I had to clean my seating die after every session. Eastwood seems to make the best powder. But, there seems to be differences in the different colors. The Ford Light Blue cots extremely well, but I had miserable results with gold. There are other colors that should work well, but I have no need to experiment. A pound of PC powder goes a long, long way!

contender

Ruger Guru
Eastwood has good powders,, but I've never had any issues with getting any colors from Smoke over on the CB forum. All have performed quite well when it comes to adhering to the lead. I'm using 8 different colored powders currently.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Bottom line are you coating your bullets as cast ( oversize) or sizing them then powdercoating them?

flintlock62

Bearcat
Bottom line are you coating your bullets as cast ( oversize) or sizing them then powdercoating them?
I powder coat, then size the boolits. The coating is very strong and is not removed by sizing. I would not trust PC in my barrels unless the coating is strong. I have also fired boolits into a dirt berm, and recovered them with ALL the coating still intact.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I too coat THEN size my PC bullets.

And on my range,, I have pulled hundreds & hundreds of fired bullets out of my berms. Most enjoy the fact that the coating is still intact. Unless steel impacted pieces are counted. But even those,, the rear flat portion retains most of the coating.
I like loud colors,, as they are easy to see against the dirt.
Recover, melt, & re-cast!

xtratoy

Buckeye
Eastwood has good powders,, but I've never had any issues with getting any colors from Smoke over on the CB forum. All have performed quite well when it comes to adhering to the lead. I'm using 8 different colored powders currently.
10-4 on the CB forum but when I Googled CB forum I got sites dedicated to citizen band radios. What is the 10-20 of the CB forum you refer to? LOL....

flintlock62

Bearcat
Powder.coating is grear for hunting projectiles.as well since it keeps the lead contained upon impact
I had doubts at first, but after seeing how tough the powder coating is, I will never use wax lube again. A few people have voiced their opinion about the smell that PC creates when shot, but I don't notice it. I do notice very much the smell of wax lube. Some people say that Hi-Tech coating is even better. It requires the use of acetone, and wearing a mask AND generous ventilation is a must. Acetone is also very flammable. Regular PC works so that's good enough for me.

contender

Ruger Guru
I was working on my range yesterday,, and occasionally a splash of color would get my attention. I pulled blue, red, black & a purplish color of different bullets out of my berms. Most still had almost all of their PC paint on them. And my berms have sandstone or red clay. Tough stuff.