.327 Federal with PC bullets PT. II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
With the hunting and Holiday seasons behind us, it's time to pick up where we left off in the Fall. At last glance, the Ruger Single Seven had been released, and we had just scratched the surface with a few loads. Everyone was excited, including myself, with this new powder burner, bullet spitter extraordinaire. Having great luck with the little brother of the .327 Fed., the .32 H & R, we assumed big brother to be a fire breathing laser. I know I did, and probably over fed big brother too much powder. I didn't have high-pressure signs, but I was getting some spitting, and though accuracy was ok, I wasn't real pleased. 13-13.5 grs of H110 over my LBT plain-based FN powder coated slugs was my initial load. I was getting around 2-2.5" groups at 25 yards for seven shots. Ho-hum at best.

While talking with Mr. .32, 2 Dogs, he stated he was using 11.6 grs of H110 over the same sized bullet and was getting sub 1" groups. Brian Pierce had also written an article in Handloader on the .327 single-seven, and showed some good results with Power Pistol powder. A little time on the loading bench, and some new loads were assembled with this new information.

Today was a balmy 26 degrees, the sun was out, and there was just a scant 10 mph breeze. Being cooped up a bit since hunting season, it time to get out and get some fresh air and burn some powder.

A short drive to the range, a target was made up, the red flag raised, and the range was hot! I was shooting off a shot bag full of sand sitting on top of a chunk of 4"X6". I had a piece of black suede on top of the sandbag to stop any flame cutting from the barrel/cylinder gap.

First up was Fermin's load of 11.6grs of H110 over my 120 gr LBT plain base PC FN slug. To say I was pleased would be an understatement. Five groups were 1.5" or less at 25 yards, for 7 shots. I use 1.5" blue painters tape for my targets. The load showed good manners in that it was consistent, and I had no spitting at all as I had previously with the 13-13.5 grs of H110. I'm thinking it may have been powder that wasn't ignited that was spitting and not lead.

Next up were my Power Pistol loads. Both loads consisted of 7 grains. One load was the 120 gr LBT FN and the other was LEE's 113gr RFGC bullet. These bullets are just shy of 120 grs when ready to load.

These bullets show real promise. I need to load them over 11.6 grs of H110.

With the 120 gr LBT FN, they had a tendency to string a bit.

All in all, it was a great day at the range. Considering the weather, and the fact that I haven't shot in a few months, I was pretty happy with my results. The biggest thing I think I learned is that you don't always have to go to max., or near max. charges to get results. Something that I already knew, but get reminded of from time to time. It's funny how much more you like a gun after it starts to shoot for you.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I want to try the Power Pistol and the 2400, and some more work with 296 in mine but weather and family has not let that happen yet. Thanks for the report.