7.5" Ruger Single Seven with jacketed and PC slugs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Last Thursday I was able to take delivery of one of the coveted long piped Ruger Single Sevens. I had been preparing for this day with some judicious hand loading and anticipation. I already have an eight shot BH .327 and a 6.5" .32 H & R Single Six, that have given stellar performance. However, a .327 in a Single Six package seemed to be the best of both worlds. I first caught glimpse of this seven shooter at the NRA Whittington Center a few months back and took the bait, hook, line and sinker! Available in three barrel lengths, of 4 5/8, 5.5, and 7.5", I chose to go after the longest, not because of any sort comings on my part, but to squeeze out the most velocity and sight radius.

I had some Hornady 100 gr. XTP HP loaded over stout charges of H110, along with some LBT 120 gr FN's that were PC. These are made with a crimp groove perfect for the .32 H & R, but proved to be too long for the .327 Federal Single Seven. No worries! One of the many great characteristics of the cast slug, wether PC, or traditional, is the ability to make your crimp groove wherever you choose, by simply crimping your brass at the appropriate length. It does not affect accuracy in the least! I do this with a 330 gr. LBT LFNGC with dual crimp groove when loading my .444's and can place 3 shots within an inch at 100 yds.

My particular gun had good fit and finish and tight barrel cylinder gap. As with all new Ruger Single Actions, I replaced the trigger spring with a Wolf reduced power spring, and polished the main hammer strut head to smooth the action. Afterwards, the trigger was much lighter and crisp. The dimensions of the chamber mouths were perfect! A .312" Hornady XTP could fit easily inside the cylinder mouth with gentle finger pressure. So I have my regular precursory adjustments made, and some ammo loaded. Friday would be range day!

Here is the LBT .32 120 gr. FN. The right bullet shows where the crimp was moved by simply crimping the slug while seating. I then removed it with an inertia hammer bullet puller. The crimp removed some of the PC until it opened up. but you can see there is no distortion to slug by doing this.

Here is the Hornady .312" XTP showing proper dimension of cylinder mouth.

Here is a comparison of the BH .327 Federal, Single Seven, and Single Six .32 H & R cylinders.

The top groups are the Hornady XTPs and the bottom are the LBT .32 120 gr FNs. All were shot at 25 yards. As usual, the blue painters tape is 1.5" for comparison sake. For the first time out with a factory gun, I was very pleased. All microscopic burrs, buggers, and other gremlins have yet to be worked out, or should I say shot out! I'm confident that groups will shrink as the gun is shot more. All in all, I am extremely pleased with my Single Seven!

Lastly, I also shot my Ruger Buckeye in .32-20 for some comparison of traditional cast vs. PC using the Lyman 311008. The PC bullets are on the right.

Well, my coffee mug is empty, and the casting pot hot, so I'm gonna go pour some Lyman 454424 Keith 260 gr .45 slugs.

Joe S.

Hunter
Thats awesome!
Yours and Contender's both. Wonder if with the 7.5" they are getting into their groove.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
That's all that really matters. I have Rugers with twice that and they shoot good. Too many people nit pick things to death without ever seeing how they shoot.

contender

Ruger Guru
Tank,, you & I are reading the same book. I just cast up a few 32 cal slugs in 115 grn (Miha mold) that is going to be my Single-Seven medicine. If work will allow a bit of time,,,,,,, maybe next week. We have the Autism Charity match this weekend. BTW; I can match you with a few of the 32 Mags, the 327 Blackhawk,, & the same Single-Seven. But,,, I don't have a 32-20,,,,, yet,,,,!
Looking good Tank!

Joe S.

Hunter
Yall are makin me sad i missed the 327 Blackhawk boat. But im still hopeful for a 32 Buckeye. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
Joe,,, despite the many folks who think the Blackhawk .327 is too big,, I feel quite differently. In fact, I feel like I have a "normal" sized gun in my hands when shooting mine. I enjoy the heck out of it. The bigger size fills my hands a bit better, and the weight allows plenty of easy shooting. Now the 327 Single-Seven is a different feel, and that's why I went for the longer barrel. Both guns are good & I enjoy them. My Single-Seven hasn't been shot a lot,,, yet,,, but it's getting a workout. Maybe even a bit more today,,,!

Joe S.

Hunter
I would bet the 8 shot cylinder would really reduce weight compared to the 6 shot cylinder of the buckeye. I could see it not being too bad. If i ever find one thats affordable i will buy it if possible. That'll be hard to do im sure.