M77 Tang Safety in 7-08

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have heard that there might be a used rifle in this configuration available to me soon and was wondering what some of you folks would put on it for a value. I have not seen it and am not sure of the condition. Let's assume it is in 90% condition or better. I am thinking that it might be fun to play with.

Mike

mcknight77

Blackhawk
It should sell at about $50 - $100 more than a comparable rifle in .30-06 in your area.

Not a big seller here in AK, but is near perfect eastern deer cartridge, IMO.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
mcknight77":3827no6g said:
It should sell at about $50 - $100 more than a comparable rifle in .30-06 in your area.

Yeppers, and in my opinion the 7mm-08 is a "near perfect" western mule deer cartridge as well. My wife has two of them, an old tang-safety M-77 and a fairly new Winchester "classic featherweight" M-70. Although, our oldest daughter has kind of laid claim to her mom's Winchester 70. Over the years both of my gals have put a lot of venison on the table using those two 7mm-08s.
I think mcknight77 is right too about a Ruger tang-safety 7mm-08 being worth a bit more than the same rifle chambered in .30-06. I've told the story before, but I actually ordered my wife's tang-safety 7mm-08 for her back in the 80's when the cartridge was first commercialized. It was a birthday gift. However, before the dealer could get it in, Ruger quit building the darn things. I was lucky and found a brand new one in a local pawnshop. I've never seen another one, which makes me suspect there aren't as many of them around as there are tang-safety .30-06s, .308s, .243s and such. I know my wife would never part with hers. It's relatively lightweight, its short action makes it handy, particularly for hunters who are smaller than average, such as my wife, it doesn't kick very hard, it's accurate, it's flat shooting, and it kills mule deer just as quickly as my grand old .30-06. For that matter, neither my wife's nor daughter's 7mm-08s shoot quite as flat as my .300 Win Mag with the right loads, but the mule deer still go down just as fast once they're hit. Which takes what – a couple of thousandths of a second longer for the bullet to arrive at 200 yards or so?
Disclaimer: If I was considering a rifle for all around big game hunting, particularly in Alaska where mcknight77 is, I'd stick with my .300 Magnum. But I'm just talking 7mm-08s and western mule deer. Besides, I only said the 7mm-08 is "a" near perfect western mule deer cartridges, not "the" near perfect western mule deer cartridge - there ARE others. :D

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Sharp Shooter":29y1z246 said:
mcknight77":29y1z246 said:

Besides, I only said the 7mm-08 is "a" near perfect western mule deer cartridges, not "the" near perfect western mule deer cartridge - there ARE others. :D

I'll nominate the .270Win for the "the" honor.

:p

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
mcknight77":3rq950af said:
Sharp Shooter":3rq950af said:
mcknight77":3rq950af said:

Besides, I only said the 7mm-08 is "a" near perfect western mule deer cartridges, not "the" near perfect western mule deer cartridge - there ARE others. :D

I'll nominate the .270Win for the "the" honor.

:p

Yeah, well I'd have to 2nd your nomination. And I don't even have a .270. Used to. I'm too old to remember whatever possessed me to trade it off. :lol:

bisley pete

Single-Sixer
I belive a tang safety 7mm-08 is a rare caliber in a tang safety. That caliber always brings more than any other. The rsi tang will bring about 1000 dollars in the 7mm-08