M77 Tang safety 7mm rem mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

indybleck

Bearcat
Worked up a load I like and is accurate. Shooting Barnes TSX 150 gr with 58.9 gr IMR 4350 powder lit up with Federal 215m primer. Question is my first couple of shots are ok, but as the barrel warms up it shoots a better group. I let the gun sit between shots so the barrel isn't hot. I did some work on it earlier, floated the barrel also found the front sling stud was too long and was pushing on the barrel. Anyone have any idea what's up with this. Usually the more I shoot the worse the groups. I'm more interested in the first shot than the tenth shot. Although the later tight groups give me confidence. I'm working this up for a fall Colorado Elk hunt. I want to wait for cooler temps to see what it'll do but that won't be till just before we head west.

All anyone can do is guess. My guess is your shooting better after a couple shots. Likley not related to the rifle or load, just shooter.
Help us out alittle, this is something new or happened before. You been shooting it much or for that matter a mag. My trigger time has shown me that every rifle I shoot about (50 plus) shoots bigger groups as they heat up. Some heat up real fast and string the group like the 338 RUM, some not so much. Today's range time was spend with a 6.5 creedmoor. I wait about 1 min between shoots. It does great. Faster not so much.

indybleck

Bearcat
Started during load development. I bought the rifle used and didn't shoot factory load started to look into problems, floated the barrel and trimmed the front sling stud so it isn't pushing on the barrel. That all helped now when I'm shooting in the summer if the barrel is hot to the touch I'll wait....5-10 minutes before I run the next round down range. I try to get out and shoot at least every other week which isn't often but that's all I can do I've shot about 70 rounds through it. I'll wait till the weather cools just to make sure nothing changes. I'm hoping it's the shooter just strange.

What is the number of shots in your groups. What is the size of those groups cold and warm barrel, what distance do you shoot. What type of support do you use when shooting. Changing air Temps can change things but, more change is due to shooting different elevations and humidity. Will any of that matter on a elk hunt? maybe.

indybleck

Bearcat
When I shot yesterday I was using my lead sled. My first shots (3) with cold barrel were from 100 yds group was about 1 1/4". Then I stretched it out to 200 yds and the group 6 shots warm barrel was around an 1". I'm not complaining just seemed kinda weird, I'd expect the opposite to happen.

I personally don't understand the appeal of the 7 mm mag. Yes I have shot one. An hunting partner, and I went to Colorado on a hunt of a life time. He got a shot at a nice mule deer, and missed at approx 100 yds. Where did you aim? Three inches over his back. Where did you hit? 3 inches over his back. DUH! Good luck. It isn't so much the caliber/cartridge as the person. You sound like you will be ready come hunting season.
gramps

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
indybleck said:
Worked up a load I like and is accurate. Shooting Barnes TSX 150 gr with 58.9 gr IMR 4350 powder lit up with Federal 215m primer. Question is my first couple of shots are ok, but as the barrel warms up it shoots a better group. ...

Are you complaining?

indybleck

Bearcat
Not complaining, just seems opposite of what should happen. Probably operator error. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to the basement to load rounds for out west.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
indybleck said:
Not complaining, just seems opposite of what should happen. Probably operator error. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to the basement to load rounds for out west.

Just a comment - much as I like TTSX, bad experiences with the older 'X' bullets penciling through made me hesitant to try the TSX on came. Then there were a lot of reports (and some photos) of TSX that failed to open. When the tipped (MRX) vrsions first came out I gave them a try and have been using MRX and TTSX ever since. None recovered and no drama after the shot - half the animals have gone straight down (antelope to elk) and none have gone far.

I'd suggest changing over to the TTSX based on the experience of my group. Nothing but good to say about them.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
There is a torque sequence for the action screws. Front screw should be TIGHT. Rear screw just snug. Middle screw just tight enough for it to not be loose (it can't come out since the floor plate covers it).

I would also test the rear screw and it's effect on action movement. Loosen and tighten it to see of the action or barrel moves up or down as it's tightened or loosened. Any movement of the barrel or tang while tightening or loosening indicates a high spot in the bedding and will cause accuracy problems.

I would also try other bullets and powders. I shoot TSXs also, but frankly some of my rifles don't like them. The rifles that do, perform well. But, you can say that about other bullets as well. You might also try a slower powder like 4831.

I've been shooting 7Mags since the 70s. Most of them would shoot around MOA, but none of them were exceptionally accurate. But, they don't have to be to kill game. 1.5 MOA won't cause a miss on an elk out to much farther than I want to shoot one.

indybleck

Bearcat
Staying with what I got, happy with the groups. Shot 200 yds and the groups are very acceptable. Staying with the TSX. Thanks for all the input.

Pistol Ranch

Bearcat
Just a question? Exactly what does a tang safety have to do with a M77 that has (according to O.P.) accuracy issues??
I happen to own the exact same rifle and caliber. MY issue is with recoil (I don't use a lead sled) and 6 or 7 shots is enough to confirm zero...

indybleck

Bearcat
Some of the older M77's had more accurate barrels compared to the later ones built. At least that's what I've been told. Like i said I was working up handloads because factory loads didn't give me accuracy I wanted. With handloads I can customize powder, bullet and seating depth. My rifle shooting factory ammo was shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards. The best load now shoots 1.25" groups out to 200 yds. It took me awhile but its where I want it and gives me confidence, now I also know I can't blame the rifle or ammo for any misses.

indybleck

Bearcat
I learned a lot about accuracy issues and what to look for( free floating barrels, bedding the action, pillars), plus this was my first time getting into handloading. Wish I would have gotten into handloading sooner, but that's the way it goes. It's definitely something I can pass along to my sons. I own two Ruger rifles one M77 in 7mm rem mag tang safety, and a M77 Mark II 270 win.

Welcome to the hand loading world, my Dad started teaching me hand loading ammo around age 12. I am now 60. Only factory ammo I shoot is work ammo in work guns. With the big exception, the used M77 in 7mm rem mag. I got that rifle around 6 years ago and could not find any new brass. I shot 100 rounds of Remington factory to get the brass to hand load. Limited testing I did showed 5 shot, 100 yd groups were in the 3.5 inch plus or minus. As I recall 150 grain bullets. I free floated the barrel and glass bedded the action. Than started hand loads. 1.1/4 to near 1.5 inch groups after that with several loads used 139 grain SST bullets. Now my go to deer load.

indybleck

Bearcat
Yup same thing here, finally did find some Hornady brass, then used almost all of the Federal primers I had. Rolling your own is definitely addicting and worth it when you see the results, wish I would 've started earlier.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
indybleck said:
Staying with what I got, happy with the groups. Shot 200 yds and the groups are very acceptable. Staying with the TSX. Thanks for all the input.

Just a suggestion, but if you like the TSX, try the TTSX. They provide the same accuracy in every rifle we've tried them in but I have MUCH more confidence they will open up. The older X and, to a lesser degree, the TSX have occasional problems expanding. I've seen pictures of a recovered TSX that, except for the rifling grooves, could be loaded again - proving that when a lot of people complain the TSXs tend to pencil through, some are correct. Perhaps many. I've been hunting elk since 1982, missing only one year, and that is NOT the performance I want. We have used TTSX bullets - and their MRX predecessor since the MRX was introduced - on antelope to elk with uniformly good results. Not sure how many years that is but the MRX was introduced around 2005, maybe earlier. I still have a few TSX loads on the shelf but they will get used up on targets, not game and especially not elk. You wound an elk and you're in for a game of tail chase you will often lose.

indybleck

Bearcat
Found some TTSX on Midway's site so I ordered a couple of boxes, guess it's never too late to load a few up and see how they shoot. Peace of mind is everything and the reviews are all good. If they work out I can always pull the ones I've loaded.

indybleck

Bearcat
Update, got back from my elk hunt was fortunate to shoot a 4x4 using TTSX bullets and I must say they worked flawlessly. The bull was about 75 yds away first shot was behind the shoulder and spun him around and was facing me straight on, the next shot was right in the base of the neck which dropped him. First shot in the lungs, second shot split the heart. Didn't recover any bullets, but I saw the damage. I'm staying with the Barnes TTSX. Thanks for all the input and the help in my successful hunt.

Latest posts