M77 Tang Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MapleHill

Bearcat
Hey all, Just found this forum. I have a question on the original M77's (tang safety). I have 3 of this style. 1st one Ser#70-11XXX, I dated this to @1970, Second one is #72-31XXX 3rd is #72-81XXX. Near I can figure these 2 are 1977. I had a 4th one my uncle has now that I dated to 1982. All this from the Ruger website. My question is the "70" and one of the "72" have the integrated Ruger rings. The other 2 do not. When did this become standard for Ruger, and why does it not go with year of manufacture. I thought this became standard at a particular year. This does not seem to be, according to mine. If it makes any difference the 1982 model has rifle sights, the other 3 do not. The oldest one has the different shaped bolt, I think they are called "flat bolt", not sure about that. Not sure if it matters but the 2 with integrated bases are short action, 308 & 243. The other 2 are long action, 30-06 (rifle sights) and 270. Thanks for any help on this, just curious, I really like these old tang safety rugers

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Welcome to the forum.

Ruger made three variants in regard to rings and sights. The "R" model had the integral Ruger rings and no sights. These were offered from the get-go in 1970 when the "Flatbolt" model (as you described having an example of) first came out, as best I understand. The "RS" had/has both the ingetral Ruger bases and rings and open/iron sights. Then there was the other model, the "Roundtop" which did not have the integral bases and which, at least all I have seen, did also have open/iron sights. Other more technical types may can give you more detailed information, but I think what I've told you here is basically accurate.

The early model "flatbolts" which are RS models are typically considered scarcer/more valuable from a collector standpoint than the R model. Maybe someone else can tell you when the "Roundtop" models were first offered - I'm not sure about that. It wasn't an evolutionary or production change - all three models were offered at the same time.

MapleHill

Bearcat
Thanks 6, I will try to get some pictures of the oldest one to tell if it is a "flatbolt". It has a different shaped bolt than the others. I love these rifles. Just got them all 3 of them in the last month or so. I've got a MKII and 2 Hawkeyes.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have a flatbolt RS in .308. It is my old backup to everything else hunting rifle. I take it when nothing else seems quite appropriate and it's always served me well. It is remarkably accurate. My pet load with Reloder 15 powder and 150 grain Sierras or Nosler Partitions will group just under an inch if I do my part. This load (won't publish the powder charge) is safe in my rifle and produces nearly 2900 fps at the muzzle by chronograph.

Personally, I like the 'dogleg' bolt design and think it looks and functions nicely. Apparently a lot of folks didn't, persuading Ruger to change to a more traditional, straighter bolt design in, I think, the second year of production. Again, those with more collector savvy may correct my "facts."

picketpin

Buckeye
The Round Top ST does not use the integral base/ring set up of most 77s. The ST has exactly the same receiver top as a Remington 700 and the bases are interchangeable. They were placed in the market place because initially there was push back from traditionalist regarding the integral base/rings

The ST was only offered as a long action and came with sights. I could be wrong but I can't think of any cartridge in a long action R or RS that wasn't also offered as a ST

My first was the uncatalogued 257 Roberts in 1972. Since then I've picked up a FEW more.

RWT

MapleHill

Bearcat
Thanks for the info guys. I just found this site looking for answers to my 77 question. I have 6, M77s, a 44 Carbine, a SRH 44 and a GP100 357. I have always loved Ruger firearms and plan to add a few more. Really looking to get another SRH in 454 and a SP 22lr. Of course when I happen upon a tang safety 77 I grab it. I truly believe these are the best hunting rifles ever made. I have nearly 30 centerfire rifles, M700s, M70s and 1 A-bolt. The tangs are my favorite. Got a 308 (flatbolt) a 270 (standard rings) and 243 (integrated rings). The 30-06 (standard bases and sights) resides up the road with my uncle now. Thanks for all the great info. Is there any place I can find where all the designations? i.e. R, RS, RSZ etc..
thanks again, MH Mark

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger also offered a model only with sights for a time...the M77S.
I think they figured if you wanted sights on a rifle you probably didn't need rings...which just increased the suggested retail anyway.
Chet15