M77 RSI in 250 Savage - with pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anyone here have one of these they shoot/hunt with? I am contemplating getting mine out of storage and shaking off the cobwebs. I'm getting interested again in the 25 caliber guns.

Edited to add:

I got it out of the safe and shot a couple of photos. This one is nicer than I remembered - can't find a mark on it! These tang safety RSI's are certainly easy on the eye and nice to handle...

IMG_6476-1.jpg

IMG_6477-1.jpg

IMG_6474-1.jpg

Mine is the older blued version (1980's I think - don't recall exactly). I understand there was a special run of stainless ones a few years back. I need to get it out and put a scope on it. I always liked the 250 Savage, but I've been working more with 7mm and 30 caliber the last few years.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
It is my favorite caliber for deer here in Texas. I have an older M77 tang safety Ultra Light that I rebarreled to 24". I doubt that you'll be disappointed.
B.

hammie

Single-Sixer
@cellar701: I have one, I believe, like yours. I bought it new in April of '89. If I recall correctly, the blued, .250 savage. 77 RSI was a non-cataloged special run, and not very many were made. Mine was not a tack driver, and so, like col townsend whelen, I found it uninteresting and put it away.

The 77RSI and the .250 savage are a marvelous combination...sort of evoking the feeling of a poor man's 6.5x54mm mannlicher schoenauer.

tas6691

Bearcat
I have a tang safety RSI and a tang safety 77 in 250 Savage. Hunt with both and have taken deer with both. I love them and my recent 257 Roberts stainless RSI equally. Great calibers, great rifles.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
Ive got an old tang saftey int. It has taken MANY deer. I havent used it now in about 10 years because I always seen to have a new gun to try. I should take it out myself and shoot another deer with it. It killed so many deer that they nicknamed it thor at camp!

hammie

Single-Sixer
@cellar701: Thanks for the pictures. Great photos.

Your rifle looks just like mine, except mine has a leupold VXIII sitting on top of it.

pamtnman

Bearcat
Great gun. The RSI is a classic. My .308 is accurate, and I recently purchased a .243 from a member here that needs to be sighted in. They are beautiful to admire and fun to carry. Unsure if I'll carry the .308 in driving rain, though. That long stock probably isn't designed for that kind of exposure. Anyhow, enjoy it, kill lots of deer with it.

black029

Single-Sixer
Beautiful gun, sir. It suggests that all rifles should have steel sights on them, and Ruger surely made the most functional AND attractive.

hammie: I'll have a scope back on this one in short order - probably a compact 2-7x leupold.

Pamtnman: I agree that a rain storm isn't the best conditions for the walnut. My preference continues to be blue/walnut, but I'm fortunate to have some options in hunting rifles with composite stocks to use in those types of conditions, and keep the good looking pieces for the nicer weather.

Black029: well said about the iron sights, and to my eye, none of the large volume makers have done it better than Ruger.

hammie

Single-Sixer
@cellar701: Your choice for a scope is a good one.

I've followed the used price for this particular rifle through the years, always thinking that it should command a small collector's premium due to the limited quantities. It never has. Matter of fact, some books showed a lower average price than similar RSI's.

Perhaps many shy away from the .250 savage chambering, because of ammunition availability or lack of familiarity with the cartridge? That's unfortunate because the .250 savage is an effective deer cartridge with very mild recoil. No worries about loose dental fillings or detached retinas. I think the only current source of loaded ammunition is remington with a 100 grain bullet. Empty brass is a "seasonal run". Of course brass can easily be made from the .22-250 rem, which is an interesting situation. The commercialized wildcat is more available than the parent cartridge.

blair

Bearcat
I have a RSI 250 Savage with a 4x Leupold. I got it at a real good price even considering it was in rough shape. I refinished the stock with Watco Oil and it looks great. Carry it every year for deer in Virginia

WoodyP

Bearcat
I have a tang safety RSI in 250 sav, it shoots 110 accubonds extremely well. I need to sell it to purchase a gun smithing lathe, but offers are too low for such a rare and neat rifle. I guess it will be one of my favorite safe queens. Mine has the black recoil pad.

Woody