M77 Bolt not closing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RG007

Bearcat
Hello:
I am new to the forum here and have a question regarding my newly acquired M77 Hawkeye rifle.
I received the rifle early in the week. Took it to the range today to get a taste for it but ran into the problem I could not figure out.

When I load ammo into the rifle, I cannot close the bolt all the way down. The bolt loads the 223 reming bullet into the chamber but the bolt does not close completely. It in fact only closes 1/2 way. I've read the manual but there is no help there. When there is no bullet, the bolt closes smoothly and without any problem. I have the safety at load-unload position.
I tried ammo from diff manufacturers but the same problem. The ammo is steel case. The ammo ejects easily (unfired).

I would appreciate any help here. Hope I don't have to send it back.

Thank you :( :( :(

R1895

Bearcat
Strange but I must first ask: Are you (1) trying to load a round out of the magazine or are you (2) simply sliding a round directly into the chamber and then trying to close the bolt on the round? If you are using method (2), forget it and try method (1).

RG007

Bearcat
Hi:
I tried both.
But initially tried loading into the magazine.
The bullet does go into the chamber. The bolt does not close.
I've check bullet calibre and gun calibre to make sure they go hand in hand.
Thank you

Had this problem a M77 Hawkeye when I want trying to load a single round at a time directly into the chamber. The guy next to me at the range saw me struggling with the bolt handle and had me press the rounds into the internal magazine. This solved my problem.

Sounds like you tried both methods.

Try a different brand of ammunition in the same cal.

That must be frustrating.

Keep us posted.

RG007

Bearcat
Thanks for your reply. With freezing hands (it was 15 degrees) at the range I loaded one and then 3 rounds into the magazine. But had to eject them because of my problem. I'll wait for some more replies.

Hi look at the face of a shell that you tried to chamber where the head stamp is and see if it is scared in any way maybe the ejector is not sliding back into the bolt far enough it is easier to see on a brass shell if not it sounds like a very tight chamber

GRAMPS

RG007

Bearcat
Buckeye Bill said:
Have you got any non steel case ammunition to work with?

Also,

Do you have any fired brass in .223 that you can attempt to cycle in the rifle?

Bill

I'll check after dinner. Thanks Bill.

RG007

Bearcat
GRAMPS 51 said:
Hi look at the face of a shell that you tried to chamber where the head stamp is and see if it is scared in any way maybe the ejector is not sliding back into the bolt far enough it is easier to see on a brass shell if not it sounds like a very tight chamber

GRAMPS
Thanks.
The ammo is new. Steel case. I'm looking to see if I have any old brass.

RG007

Bearcat
I found some brass 223 and this did not change anything.
I'll see if my gunsmith can take a look at it tomorrow.
Then a call to Ruger on Monday. How are they with customer service? I hope reasonably friendly.
Very disappointing.

R1895

Bearcat
It'd be interesting to see if a "go" gauge would work properly or not.
At any rate a call to Ruger is probably in the near future, if in fact using brass cased ammo works no better.

BTW: I don't wish to offend anyone and maybe it's just me; I can see using relatively inexpensive steel cased ammo in a high rate of fire capable "fun type gun" (and do) but don't find any use for it in my bolt guns.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
This should have never gotten past QC or test/proof firing. Ruger will make it right- contact them. Ruger firearms are excellent but it is very disappointing to have to send a new rifle back for repair.

RG007

Bearcat
:( :( I will contact them tomorrow.

Maybe they should test the guns before leaving the factory. Maybe they do.

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Watching the video, I guess I would try just a little bit more pressure to close the bolt. Not much pressure but a little.

RG007

Bearcat
Well I just do not want to damage things. I'm taking it to my gunsmith later today; Will push a bit harder but outside in safer environment.

RG007

Bearcat
A little update. Went to my gun repair friend and he could not believe that there is a defective gun. He used an empty shell and duplicated the problem. Looking at his shell afterwards, he said that its not seating all the way; he could see little imperfections on the shell after ejection. I could not see what he is talking about but he has 30+ yrs experience so there you have it.
I've packed her up and will ship it tomorrow after calling Ruger.

I'll keep everyone updated. I appreciate the help and time everyone has given this issue.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
How in the world did Ruger test fire this rifle?!!!!! Every firearm I have ever bought new was test fired at the factory, I just don't get it.