Lyman M-Die Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
So I am in need of new dies for my .44 for shooting cast.
I was going to order the Lyman 3 die set that comes with the M-die
However, after reading up on the dies, measurements are as follows

First step/Second step/Bullet sizes
44MP .427/.431 .428-.430

I will be loading .431 - .432 bullets
So unless I'm missing something the M-die will not open up the case mouth enough.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Looks like those bullets are a bit oversized.

Is that to fit your barrel (been slugged) or just the way they came to you? If the latter, have you considered sizing them down? If I'm not mistaken, a .430 oughta work pretty well in most .44s. And should work w/ the M-die in the kit.

If the barrel's been slugged and needs the larger bullet, perhaps a call to Lyman may offer an alternative size?

Rick C

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I use the powder-through version of the M-die. My RH wants .432 to .433, owing to throat sizes. The stock M-die expander works fine for me. Sometimes, I do get a touch of lube squeezed out. Nothing a quick swipe of a paper towel can't handle. Not enough of a problem for me to order a custom expander.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
MADISON said:
To compare the "M" die with others, all you have to do is get a set of RCBS dies and see how well the "M" die does compared to the RCBS.
Funny. My RCBS expander dies work far better than any of the Lyman M dies I've ever used, including both brands in 38, 41, 44, and 45.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hylander said:
My Throats measure .432
I ordered .431 and .432 bullets to see what works best.

Hi,

Sounds good--and I agree w/ some of the other posters you MAY have better results at those sizes w/ the "conventional" flaring dies, regardless of make. Only one way to know for sure, though! ;)

Added thought: I assume you chamfer your cases as part of the prep process? Just getting that sharp edge off has helped make a noticeable difference for me w/ certain case/bullet combos even w/o making adjustment changes to the die.

Rick C

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer

44MP .427/.431 .428-.430

So unless I'm missing something the M-die will not open up the case mouth enough.[/quote]

If you go a little deeper it should flare like a RCBS . If you put it in a drill you can make a third step to fit your gun . Your gun cylinder is over normal size 44 mag spec . 90% of the people don't know how to set up the M-Die correctly for lead bullets . I have a extra RCBS 44 expander die that is .427 before the flare I with sell or trade it for a M-Die marked 38P , 44MP or 45P [not 45AP] on top of stem .....

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A couple of interesting thoughts/tips on the M-die:

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_LymanMDies.htm

BTW, there's a ton of good info on the care and feeding of cast bullets on this site if one wants to surf a bit.

Rick C

GP100man

Buckeye
Most have a misconception of the "M" die it`s to expand the case & aid in keeping the lead boolit square with the case during the bases entry.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
I didn't like the M die in .44 as much as I do in .357. The .44 version expands too much, too deeply. Leaves little to no bullet tension with my .430 lead bullets. I have to crimp hard. For .44 I went back to my stock RCBS expander.

Love the M in .357 though.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
If you have the wright stem and die setup correctly , you should be able to put bullet in case before putting it the seater die and not flare brass .

44-40brass.jpg

Picture1036.jpg

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Anyone know of someone that can take say a .45 plug and turn it down to .427/.432 or .427/.433
Wish I had a lathe

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Hylander said:
Anyone know of someone that can take say a .45 plug and turn it down to .427/.432 or .427/.433
Wish I had a lathe
If your going to turn one down put it in 3 steps .427/.429/.432 or .427/.429/.433 . You need a .429/.432 or .429/.433 .. If you don't have a lathe put the stem in a drill and use a file to turn one down .

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Tx gun runner said:

44MP .427/.431 .428-.430

So unless I'm missing something the M-die will not open up the case mouth enough.

If you go a little deeper it should flare like a RCBS . If you put it in a drill you can make a third step to fit your gun . Your gun cylinder is over normal size 44 mag spec . 90% of the people don't know how to set up the M-Die correctly for lead bullets . I have a extra RCBS 44 expander die that is .427 before the flare I with sell or trade it for a M-Die marked 38P , 44MP or 45P [not 45AP] on top of stem .....
That's what I do with the M die when expanding for some cast bullets for both 44Mag and 45 Auto. I put a slight flare on it for them and it works great.

Now for my .500 S&W, I do not need to get the flare but I have not shot cast from it yet.

EDK

Single-Sixer
Hylander said:
Wish I had a lathe

Look in the Buffalo Arms Co catalog for custom expander plugs. They would probably cut one to your specifications if necessary.

Over at castboolits web site, Buckshot does some custom work of various types.

I didn't realize how much little stuff like this I did at work until I retired! "G jobs" get a lot of new machinists some needed experience and practice when things are slow or someone has a minor injury.