Low number Springfield model 1903

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
I inherited a low number 1903 rifle. It is one of the ones with questionable heat treat. That may blow up if a case splits.

The question is what to do with it?

There used to be a conversion kit to make it into a .22 rimfire, but they are unobtainable now.

What would you do? If it were yours?

Enigma

Hunter
I'm in with popcorn first! This could get interesting!

5gp.gif

loiblb

Single-Sixer
May 5th. I fell and had hip replacement, stuff happens. I would call it a wall hanger and not be sorry later.

magpouch

Single-Sixer
Get a copy of Hatcher's Notebook. He goes over the issue quite thoroughly. Then you can make up your own mind.

Or, you could easily sell it for more than you may think.

I inherited a low number 1903 rifle. It is one of the ones with questionable heat treat. That may blow up if a case splits.

There used to be a conversion kit to make it into a .22 rimfire, but they are unobtainable now.

Personally, I would check a Lyman reloading manual for lead bullet loads. IIRC, published lead bullet data usually features much lower velocities and pressures than equivalent data for jacketed bullets (I would verify that for you, but my Lyman manuals are currently in storage). Not everyone likes to reload, particularly using lead bullets, but a retired gunsmith I know enjoys shooting lead bullets in at least one of his 1903s.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

There was a great article in an early Rifle Magazine ( 1969 or 1970 possibly )that looked at the low numbers. I wish I could recall which issue but it went into a lot of detail. The upshot was that they may survive firing just fine for quite a while then fracture. What was very interesting is when they took a low number action and rapped it sharply with the handle of a large screwdriver and it shattered, Several did, mostly broke a side rail but wow. The can't really be re-heat treated properly either as I recall. If I had a low number Springfield ( Or Rock Island ) I would treat it as a collectible Not a shooter.

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks guys. @sceva That is certainly the smart thing to do. Not worth loosing an eye over.

I would love to have it converted to something smaller. .22lr being the obvious candidate.

I would love to read that article but I bet its just the same info I've read from other sources.

I have other rifles to shoot anyways. Wall hanger it is.

eveled

Hawkeye
Get a copy of Hatcher's Notebook. He goes over the issue quite thoroughly. Then you can make up your own mind.

Or, you could easily sell it for more than you may think.
I have read it. Mine does have the Hatcher Hole he thought would fix the issue.

If this happened with Springfield, it could have happened anywhere but with far less documentation. We are talking 100+ years ago.

Hard to believe the 40 year old surplus my Dad's generation was buying is now pushing 100 years old.

I also have a Carcano and some others that are unsafe to shoot. These guns have interesting places in hystory and are worth preserving even if you can't shoot them. But they take up space in the safe.

larryofcc

Bearcat
Many things enter in on the old rifles. It all depends if they have been altered or reworked. If not, they may bring big bucks, about $3,000 or more. Need more info on your rifle. Big Larry

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm kind of tempted to make it into a copy of a periscope rifle. They actually had several different ones during ww1 for the Springfield. So they could shoot from the safety of the trench.

Then if it blow's up my face won't be near it. It would however be difficult to fit it in the safe.

Last edited:

Diabloman

Single-Sixer

WALLHANGER...!