Single Six “D” serial number ? Update 1/3/2024-

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
There ya go!!!!!!

When faced with a bit of indecision about a purchase, I ask myself; "Will I later regret it if I do NOT buy it?" Quite often,, I buy whatever it is. Fewer sleepless nights because of the ones I let slip away.

Amen. I can always sell things I buy that don't meet expectations- but I'll never know if I don't buy it to begin with!

Unfortunately I won't have this in my hands for a while- it's shipping from PA. Patience…

Like Linda stated it is "crudely stamped", kinda like Bubba got a new set of stamps to enhance "his collection". Both examples indicate after the roll stamp tampering. different font, dimensionally different.

Bottom line is, when it is NOT "Known" or in any of the ranges like noted by Chad and the RENE, ,,,,with out boxes, packaging of the "original" marked as such, or getting a 'letter of authenticity", I am very leary when stuff like that pops up ,,,,I KNOW all too well from over the years of being in the firearms business and running into fakes and even learning who some of the fakers are ( were, as a few of them are now dead) we had 3 gun shops over the years had every type ,font, and size of stamps with 4 different gunsmiths working with and for us, easy enough to do..you want "S" "D" and so on??hhmmm,,,,and we got to "see" few other things made up like nazi proof marks, luftwaffe, Navy, , swazticas, etc, its out there and they been used over and over again.,sad to see, learn, the length that some would go to, in their "chicanery" perpetrating FRAUD.....again I know this for a fact when I was on the board of directors for Ohio gun collectors, our committee threw out of the club, some members who did this kind of stuff and at the national level......sorry no names, just listen as they say and MEAN ,,,,,,"caveat emptor baby":cool::rolleyes:

Well, I appreciate the warning, but I already pulled the trigger. Once it shows up and I have it in my hand, hopefully I will get a better feel of what I have. I will call Linda again after the holidays are over and see if she can do some more in depth research. I ended up getting it for $500 shipped, and the condition is actually better than I originally thought. And with 2 cylinders it will be a good shooter worst case scenario. Now I just have to be patient.

sounds good and at that cost it is fair regardless of yes/no as to "factory issue", its when someone puts a "premium" onto or over the cost and it can be the case of "fraud" to me is the concern or doubt.......(y)

sounds good and at that cost it is fair regardless of yes/no as to "factory issue", its when someone puts a "premium" onto or over the cost and it can be the case of "fraud" to me is the concern or doubt.......(y)
I was pleased at the final price. I asked the seller about the "D" and he had no idea what I was talking about, so I don't think he was using it as a selling enticement. His pictures were really poor quality- I asked for some better ones and I was pleasantly surprised. I'll post up my own pics once I get it.

UPDATE 1/3/2024

I just got off the phone with Linda in the records department. She went to the records book and like the electronic records indicated, there was no "D". However, she went and found the original invoice and sure enough, it shows a "D"! She was pretty surprised. It was shipped in May of 1968 , Model SC5, as serial D553553.

She is scanning the original invoice/shipper and emailing me a copy. Obviously I'll be requesting a letter.

She did say there is no other 553553 serial gun on record- so why this was factory stamped and shipped as a D553553 is a mystery. Edit- copy attached. It looks like there are 4 "D" SC5's listed.

I was looking in RENE and it states there is only one known "D" stamped SC5. Am I reading correctly, now I have the 2nd known one? ( I guess according to the invoice there are now 5)

Now I really wish I had the box and associated items!
IMG_8553.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes, I have nothing but kind things to say about Linda.

I do think it's amusing that the order was for 15 SC5's and 3 RSS9X's, and they could only come up with the 5 SC5's at that time.

chet15

Hawkeye
Thank you! Yes, I have nothing but kind things to say about Linda.

I do think it's amusing that the order was for 15 SC5's and 3 RSS9X's, and they could only come up with the 5 SC5's at that time.
Not too surprising. There were a lot of distributors so Ruger had to be choosy with their allotments. That and the RSS9X was only produced occasionally.
Chet15

Latest posts