Love for the 338 Federal ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'm considering a deal on a rifle in 338 Federal. Seems interesting and useful for elk (as soon as AZGF sends me a tag).

Experience here? Or feel free to post your thoughtful opinion...

Rocdoc

Buckeye
No help from me as I don't own one, but I do love the 338-06. Wanted to get a 338 Fed but never had the funds when I found one I liked. I'd get it if I were you.

wunbe

Buckeye
I had a .243 1B punched out to .338 Federal just as soon as the ammo came available and Ruger backed out of its plan to build them in favor of their own -- now extinct -- .338 round. It is my low lite gun as it plants deer in their tracks w/o the muss n fuss of tracking in the dark. It also handles any of the commercial ammo out there w/o first round fliers or shifting the POI. It is every bit as reliable as its .308 parent.

wunbe

trapperon

Blackhawk
The 338 federal is one caliber I would love to add to my battery. Savage I believe has added it to the Hog Hunter model, and I am always on the look out for a blued/walnut ruger hawkeye in 338 fed. It is a gentleman's cartridge so to speak, like the 44 special is to the 44 mag---the 338 fed is that to the 338 mag. The advantage of a somewhat bigger caliber but not launching a 180 grain slug at obscene velocities!

I hope it works out and you (and I) have one soon!!

Ron

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'm guessing here, that this round would be a step behind my 325WSM (Win model 70 Featherweight) in recoil and a bit of velocity. But that's ok as there be no griz around here. Hunting these days is expensive on my wallet and my body, and the addage : "Use Enough Gun" has proven useful.

Unless someone has a reason to NOT go with the 338 Federal, think I'll jump. 8)

horseshoe

Single-Sixer
I like the 338 Federal, I have a T3 lite in a Tikka and load Varget behind the 200 gr Speer. I haven't killed any game with it yet but it should do the trick. The only thing I do ot like about the T3 lite is that it has a lot of muzzle jump because of its light weight.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have a Ruger Hawkeye and a Savage Hog Hunter in 338 Federal, as well as another older Savage M10 I fitted with a 24" Adams & Bennett barrel from Midway. I hate to admit it, but I've only shot 10 rounds of 185 Grain American Eagle and 10 rounds of handloads with the 200gr. Speer through the Ruger. I like the 338 Federal, thinking of it as a modern day 358 Winchester, same weight bullets, but faster. I doubt that even the smartest big game animal can tell the .020" difference in diameter. The Federal AE 185 load is relatively inexpensive and from some sources on the Internet, one of the best loads. The 180 Nosler Accubond or Ballistic tip would make a fine deer load if one handloads. Mine are a project that I have not gotten around to yet. Alliant PP2000 powder is a good place to start for loading the 200 grain bullets. Bob!!! :mrgreen:

BarnOwl

Bearcat
Great cartridge to team up w/7MM-08 or .308W etc. Fusion 200 gr load shot MOA or better when I laid off the coffee. Glad to see
new reloadable brass became available. My Ruger's All Weather (AW) is a decent platform as the synthetic stock stiffer than most.
BarnOwl