.338 Fed Hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
I have old rugers and am not familiar with the "Hawkeye" model. Is it a solid gun?

I stupidly sold my Sako Black Bear in .338 Fed ( a one hole gun with 200 grainers) and am looking at a plastic stocked Hawkeye in .338 Fed.

What are your opinions of the Hawkeyes? Not really value for dollar but more are they quality guns?

Thanks.

While I cannot attest to the quality of the machining of the bolt and chamber, I can say that I used to own a Ruger (Mark II) Magnum in .416 Rigby that required a return to the manufacture because it would not cycle ammo properly from the magazine well. Ruger fixed it, and then it was a solid rifle with nice Circassian walnut. I've since sold it and recently acquired a Hawkeye Alaskan (stainless synthetic) in 375 Ruger and I'm really impressed with the solid construction, the iron sights, and overall fit and finish. It cycles ammo reliably, the trigger is not too bad (not so bad that I'm itching to improve it), and the muzzle brake system is great. While factory Hogue overmold stock lacks a full-length aluminum bedding block, it's still free-floated and is very grippy. It will NOT slip out of your hands. If I had the opportunity to purchase both for the same price, I'd choose the new Hawkeye Alaskan all over again. It's not as pretty as the blued .416 Rigby but it's more practical and the looks have grown on me and I like the factory muzzle brake options.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The Hawkeye rifles are the same as the older MkII rifles which , is one of the best bolt actions ever made. Stocks , triggers , all parts interchange. The only differences are really cosmetic. The metal finishes are commonly bead blasted or matte bluing (there are satin blued models also) and the stocks are a little bit slimmer when compared to the MkII rifles.

I don't personally like the stainless finish on the Hawkeye and have not owned one but you never hear anything bad about the quality or accuracy. The only thing about them , and this applies to the later MkII rifles as well , is the plastic stocks on them are pretty flimsy and a poor excuse for a stock.

bisley32

Single-Sixer
If you are looking at the one on Gunbroker, I would say, buy it. It's a really nice rifle. Only blemish is on the floor plate. Plus the seller is a really good guy!

Last edited:
Are you all talking about the Hogue overmold synthetic stock when you say flimsy? My Alaskan model feels solid and grippy and has a comfortable butt pad. It's the best factory stock I've seen on a production rifle.