Lots of defects on my new Ruger 10/22 TD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mxk83

Bearcat
So after having my rifle for about a week, I've come to the conclusion that the fit and finish of this rifle is definitely lacking.

First off I'll say, the day I bought it I went out and shot it very briefly right after purchse and it shot great, accuracy was about 1" groups with some ammo at 50yards if I shot my absolute best, and 2" was no problem at all. I did notice immediatley a slight ding on the crown of the barrel, but to me it was no big deal at all due to the purpose of this rifle, a backpacking camping gun.

IMG_1626

Once I got to the range, I noticed some imperfections on the stock and receiver around the mag well. I wasn't very impressed by the metal imperfection, but the stock didn't bother me much either. While shooting I realized that my promag 25rd magazines that I normally use in my sr22, had a VERY difficult time releasing from the receiver. At first I thought they were stuck, but eventually I figured out the precise angle and force needed to get them out... strange, but the stock ruger mags worked perfect and fed perfect so I was fine with that.

IMG_1631

IMG_1638

IMG_1637

Next I saw the post on this site about the crooked rear sight, which mine also has. Also while inspecting this, I noticed some aluminum wasnt cleanly removed during the milling and comes up and around the site (didn't photograph this)

IMG_1643

Now finally I had some time to take the rifle apart and break down the rifle for a good cleaning which it definitely required, where I found a couple more things that really bothered me to the point I think I don't think its fair there is this many defects with a brand new rifle especially at the price point.

First thing I found I didn't like was the bolt finish. Now I don't know if this is a real issue, but I don't recall my sr22 bolt looking this way, so please correct me if I'm wrong and this is as it should be. But it appears one side of the bolt (the exposed side), has a nice polished finish, but the other side has machining lines in it. See pic (btw the pics were taken at high ISO so ignore the noise, and trust me that the polished side looks good).

IMG_1630

IMG_1629

Finally and to me the thing that takes the cake is the chamber face to me is completely f#(*%@. I never noticed originally when taking down the rifle cause I thought it was just dirty from the factory grease etc. But I gave it a good proper clean today and this is what I found!

IMG_1625

So please everyone go and inspect your rifles and tell me what your finds are. I know from other forums people have found all sorts of defects with their rifles and Ruger has had no problem replacing them, so I hope to call them on Monday and get the same service. Just sucks as I've been anxious to put this thing to use right away!

Oh and btw I take part blame for not inspecting the rifle better upon receipt, I guess the excitement of a new toy distracted me.

Ih new here but not to your trouble with the back of the barrel I have had this on my new sr22p two time now its back at ruger now for the third time looks like someone took a center punch to it and all of the machine mark at the muzzle last one igot back was crowned off center look like crap how when i get mine back this time it will be better just looks like the barrel is soft ant bolt just beats the heck ot of it....... :(

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
That's a shame. What you're showing is why no matter how much I want one of the new Ruger releases I force myself to wait a year before I'll buy one. I wanted the SR22 pistol SO BAD and had a deal with my LGS to trade the Walther P22 for one...then the problems started to show up.

Hope Ruger makes it all right for you.

And thank you for doing outside QC testing! :?

Iowa Fox

Bearcat
I was going to get one at the gun show coming up next weekend. Maybe I'll just look at them after seeing this.

A

Anonymous

That's a real shame, and I would be sending that rifle back immediately.

The sight dovetail is a deal breaker, as well as the chamber face. The other stuff is cosmetic for the most part, though I share in your frustrations.

My TD suffered only from the very slightest misalignment of the forend to the receiver stock when mounted, which was easily fixed with help from this forum. My bolt is also fairly crude, and I spend some time wet polishing the bearing surfaces and the visible side of the bolt (non-bearing, BTW) to ease my mind. The off-side bolt surfaces do not contact anything inside the receiver and are not visible so I really don't care what they look like, but the visible and bearing surfaces are easy to slick up even if not necessary.

Other than those minor discrepancies, she shoots like a dream and repeats dead-nutz through take downs and reassembly. If it had sling studs it would be about as perfect a takedown gun as anyone has put to market!

trouble

Single-Sixer
Other than an ungodly trigger, my TD is nice as can be. No issues at all.

the only two items that concern me are the chamber.... and I think you could fix that pretty easy... but then the crooked rear sight is just not acceptable to me.... I think they should replace that... but that would be a new barrel and new other part... they aren't the same on a take down are they?

edit: looked back at the pictures and can see they are all the same part.... seems like Ruger could and should take care of that.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
None would really give me any concern or issues. As you said, it is a backpacking gun and as intended/marketed, it's not something that is built nor bought (if within it's intended purpose) for show and fancy stuff. It's a working gun plain and simple. Just me but having a shiny bolt on this would be like complaining the ATV you buy doesn't have chrome parts all over it. Even with the price point, it's not a high-budget gun, it's still a 10/22 in it's basic form.

A

Anonymous

BlkHawk73 said:
None would really give me any concern or issues. As you said, it is a backpacking gun and as intended/marketed, it's not something that is built nor bought (if within it's intended purpose) for show and fancy stuff. It's a working gun plain and simple. Just me but having a shiny bolt on this would be like complaining the ATV you buy doesn't have chrome parts all over it. Even with the price point, it's not a high-budget gun, it's still a 10/22 in it's basic form.

That's one way to look at it. However, if I bought a dollar menu hamburger at McDonalds and I unwrapped it to find the bun had mold spots on it I wouldn't accept it just because it's a $1.00 burger. There are certain expectations that must be met regardless of the price point, and I don't think it's too much to ask of any firearm at any price to expect the parts to be SQUARE and FINISHED completely. I can only think that Ruger would be embarrassed that they let that gun go out the door.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
YIKES :shock: I had to go inspect mine closer, happy to say everything is fine here.

That little nookie in the Magazine opening is from the mold I have that on both sides of my stock, and the edges are a tad rough. My Bolt is the same as yours, and same as in my Daughters compact.

But Something just not right with your barrel, Its like it skipped a few machining operations. And I would guess the barrels are hardened to take the beating of the bolt, and was over harden to the point of being brittle.

Or was pulled out of the scrap bin by a slacker to make his quota. I worked with a joker like that at a job shop, if he was running short he would steal parts from others or take them out of the scrap just to make his numbers for the day. He didn't last very long.

I would think that at the very least Ruger should toss in a couple of 25 round mags to make up for letting that leave the factory in that condition.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Tuhlmann said:
BlkHawk73 said:

That's one way to look at it. However, if I bought a dollar menu hamburger at McDonalds and I unwrapped it to find the bun had mold spots on it I wouldn't accept it just because it's a $1.00 burger. There are certain expectations that must be met regardless of the price point, and I don't think it's too much to ask of any firearm at any price to expect the parts to be SQUARE and FINISHED completely. I can only think that Ruger would be embarrassed that they let that gun go out the door.

+1 Exactly! These photos are what I would expect when examining a Hi Point, not a Ruger firearm.

Bammac

Bearcat
The rear sight alone is ridiculous. Taken as a whole, the fact that this thing was inspected and found acceptable at Ruger is disturbing.

Regardless of the purpose for which the rifle is intended, I would expect better quality in a Ruger firearm. Speaking for myself, I would be very unhappy.

I love all my Rugers, but that kind of work is just not excusable. The fact that many folks are reporting the same cock-eyed rear sight is laughable.

One? Two? Ten? Maybe. Dozens? Lame.

m657

Buckeye
I don't have a TD but lusting after one. If it came like that, I'd for sure communicate with the customer service folks.

I just had my Target 10/22 completely apart for the first time, and there is considerable difference in the quality of the finish.

For one, my entire bolt is smooth and without any marks at all on it, as if it were highly polished.

There are no rough edges and no machine marks anywhere your photos show.

I can only suspect the QC somehow was in error on this one.

Keep us posted on your results with Ruger.

Arctic Mike

Bearcat
You have very valid concerns.
I think when Ruger decided to try to sell over a million firearms in one year they cut back on quality control.
I just returned a 10/22 stainless synthetic camo due to the front sight flying off after 50 rounds, magazines binding in the well area, a 25 round mag not being able to lock in place and jamming problems with one brand of expensive hollow point ammo.
I still have an otherwise nice 10/22 Compact, assuming you like crackle finish, which I had to put in an aftermarket synthetic stock due to the wood stock being a terrible loose fit.
Also I had the problem of there being jagged metal being left beside front and rear sight bases where they were slid in place at the factory.
I think I am going to take a break on buying new Rugers until they stop trying to outproduce the rest of the industry and get some quality control back. AM

Blowback

Bearcat
Just picked mine up, got back went online saw your post and my heart skiped a beat. ( felt let down ). Mine had the little marks on the stock at the mag well but figure that is some kind of mold release mark, ok with that. Looked at rear sight off just a hair ( but to me being a cabinet maker I can see everything thats not 100 percent) Asked my wife if she noticed anything about the sight she says No looks good. ( hum ) but everything else is good. Ok you guys at Ruger I know that some of you monitor this site so I say to you "What say You". I was going to run out and buy a SR22 but I will now wait to see what happens. Come on guy's we spend good money for these rifles lets demand a high quality from them in return.

Mike

Blowback

Bearcat
Just picked mine up, got back went online saw your post and my heart skiped a beat. ( felt let down ). Mine had the little marks on the stock at the mag well but figure that is some kind of mold release mark, ok with that. Looked at rear sight off just a hair ( but to me being a cabinet maker I can see everything thats not 100 percent) Asked my wife if she noticed anything about the sight she says No looks good. ( hum ) but everything else is good. Ok you guys at Ruger I know that some of you monitor this site so I say to you "What say You". I was going to run out and buy a SR22 but I will now wait to see what happens. Come on guy's we spend good money for these rifles lets demand a high quality from them in return.

Mike

batmann

Single-Sixer
I am sorry that for the $$ you paid, the QC should have been better. This leads to my next question, did you inspect the rifle before you took delivery? A couple of the things you mentioned should been noticable prior to laying down your hard earned cash.

Blowback

Bearcat
Well out here at Big 5 we need to pay in full before we can even order the rifle. Secondly the only problem with mine is the rear site is off a hair other than that my is good to go. Im sorry that some are having trouble with there rifles. This is my first rifle so I came to this forum and youtube to get a fair assetment of Ruger and their quality and thought that they produced a great product, I'm just frustrated that it is simply not the case as with many things now a days.
MIke

Deadeye Tom

Bearcat
This brings up an interesting point. Some high volume gun dealers (Cabelas springs to mind) show and let you handle a floor demo unit. When you have decided to buy they head back to the stock room and get you a new unit usually sealed in the factory box. You won't be handling this firearm unless you specifically request a separate inspection. By the way, you should do exactly that. My new TD has no significant issues in function or finish and shoots great.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Deadeye Tom said:
This brings up an interesting point. Some high volume gun dealers (Cabelas springs to mind) show and let you handle a floor demo unit. When you have decided to buy they head back to the stock room and get you a new unit usually sealed in the factory box. You won't be handling this firearm unless you specifically request a separate inspection. By the way, you should do exactly that. My new TD has no significant issues in function or finish and shoots great.

+1 to that. Actually +3 or +4 or whatever :lol:. I bought my 10/22 TD from a local dealer because I had the chance to inspect the actual gun I was purchasing before I wrote the check. He does all his transactions that way unless the *buyer* doesn't want to and there aren't many who don't.

Take your time and get the one you want.