Loose pins falling out on PC9 Carbines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rjfirefly

Bearcat
Just curious about pins falling out in PC9 Carbines. I was just re-watching Hickock45's 2nd review video on YouTube of the PC9 Carbine. At about 13 minutes in when he was removing the top to change magazine wells from a Glock back to an SR9 well, his pin fell out for the trigger assembly. He saw it and put it back in and commented, "lucky it didn't fall into the gravel" I wouldn't have been able to put it back together, etc.

Well, when I first unboxed my carbine with a gun savvy friend to help me, we changed the magazine well from SR9 to Glock since I own Glocks in 9mm.

We undid the takedown screws and changed the magazine wells as per directions. Then we wanted to put the receiver assembly back in and something wasn't right.

First we noticed a piece fell out (manual references) # 54 the bolt stop. "What the hell, why did that fall out?" then we saw the little spring # 55. We were lucky to spot that on the carpet. Next I noticed there was a hole for obviously a pin that was empty; and sure enough I was lucky to find on the bed spred (we were doing the take-down in his room) a little pin looked like #56 which was in the manual the Trigger Pivot Pin although functionally it looked like the pin that held in the bolt stop spring. Possibly a mislabeling.

We got that back in and that looked good.

We proceeded to put the receiver assembly back in and the trigger assembly was loose and pushed up, not in the correct position.

Then I noticed a second hole missing a pin. Sure enough I was lucky to spot what appeared to be # 56 which was indeed a trigger pivot pin. (There are two pins both numbered 56 in the manual, called trigger pivot pins once of which appears to be the bolt stop spring pin not a trigger assembly pin).

My question is: Are there a lot of people out there finding pins falling out when they disassemble their carbines for either changing magazine wells or routing maintenance?

Any suggestions? I was lucky I was able to spot these pins and didn't lose one.

Solutions?

You can contact me directly if you'd like: [email protected] If that is permitted on this forum.

Thanks

K1500

Single-Sixer
They fall out of the newer 10/22's all the time. The old aluminum trigger groups didn't have this problem. Perhaps the same thing is going on here.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The pin that falls out most easily is the one that retains the bolt catch. If you happen to press on the bolt catch while removing the trigger group that pin WILL fall out and the bolt catch and spring will too. Just keep away from the bolt catch during assembly/disassembly and all is well.

98PK

Bearcat
Pin fell out of trigger group and let the slide stop and it's spring fall out on the table. Just take a little care with the constituent sub-assemblies when assembling/disassembling. I don't have anything loose or falling out on mine yet.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Maybe a little blue Loctite or a tiny drop of CA glue on the pins when reassembling would stop them from falling out?

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
I found a small spring of a few turns around a 1/4 inch in diameter with two ends that are about 1/2 inch long and about 50 deg. apart. The only spring I can see like it in the parts diagram is in the magazine release and that one it still there.(And smaller.) All the others appear to be coil springs used end to end for function. (compression) I probably ought to check a few other things around here but the PCC is the only thing I've had apart. Maybe the spring fell into my PCC from something else. :roll: Everything seems to work just fine. I did have the trigger group pins fall out when I first dis assembled it, but I kinda expected that.
Best,
Rob

K1500 said:
They fall out of the newer 10/22's all the time. The old aluminum trigger groups didn't have this problem. Perhaps the same thing is going on here.

That's exactly the thought I had. Ruger brags (and rightly so) that the trigger group on these new rifles is much like the one on the 10/22... which has a pin that will fall out when you take the group out of the frame.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I see no excuse(s) acceptable for this set of parameters for/of loose fit, period :roll: One should not have to have binocular lens to find parts, a magnetic sheet to trap parts, or have to follow engineering diagrams to keep the firearm together and/or reassembled. :?

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I just received my PC9 and did a field strip and cleaning. Had no issues with anything loose. I"m from the old days anyway, when one had to use Locktite to hold the screws in the S&W N-Frame magnums. I still use it when necessary. Most firearms are not hand-fitted any more, as were the old S&W's, so it seems everything is not always going to fit perfectly, despite improved "technology." Kind of sad in a way.